1129 users online (215 members and 914 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AL - Kayla Fanaei, 20, UAB student, shot to death, Birmingham, 8 Oct 2007

A beautiful young student, Kayla was just 20 years old. She was found shot dead in an elemetary school parking lot near UAB's campus. She had left a party, and was talking on a cell phone when she told the friend she was nervous about a car behind her.
    Police don't think she knew her attacker.
    Here's a link:
    http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnew...l=2&thispage=1

I need to call my son in the morn and ask if he knew her. Same age and he knew a lot of people from where she went to high school.

She was a beautiful girl!

Picture at link

http://www.nbc13.com/gulfcoastwest/v...0-08-0019.html

I do hope no one thinks I'm trying to be ugly or blaming her in any way when I say, I don't understand why she was in that area at night. It's not a very safe area at all. In the middle of downtown on the North side, right off of two major freeways and near an industrial park. It's pretty empty at night too.

For those near Birmingham, that's near Norwood and Carraway Hospital too isn't it?

Makes you wonder if she was having car troubles or something. Esp to be parked at a school at night and on the phone.

I hope they find who killed her and quickly!

gosh, she reminds me of Taylor Behl.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

Detectives say they are following information they have on Kayla Fanaei’s death.
    They continue to look for a dark-colored vehicle. They also say they do know where Fanaei was shortly before she got into her car.

The lead detective on the case told NBC13 he believes Fanaei was leaving a party. Detectives are less willing to share details such as if anything had been stolen from Fanaei’s car, like her purse or how many times she had been shot, fearing they might jeopardize the investigation.
    Monday’s shooting happened just across from the UAB business and engineering complex. A Birmingham detective said students should be cautious, and that it's best to travel with someone.

http://www.nbc13.com/gulfcoastwest/v...0-10-0006.html
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

That poor girl.. I am sorry to hear of another person who has it together and has so much to live for being taken at the hands of someone who is just a waste of air...My heart goes out to her friends and family.. especially the one who was on the phone with her,, she is going to be haunted by this for a long tme.. I am sure that conversation and the gunshot will echo in her head and heart for a long time to come. I hope she can recover .. she will need counseling. My condolences to her family and friends. They are in my prayers like so many we read of here.

omgsh this is so sad, i just saw it on the news. She was gorgeous. But im confused! What was she doing in the parking lot in the first place?? Did she leave the party and then go park to talk on the phone before driving home OR did she park when the car behind her made her nervous or what?
    Happiness is the secret to all beauty.
    There is no beauty that is attractive
    Without happiness.
    ♥Christian Dior ♥

I saw this on Greta's show last night. Tried to find the transcripts but cannot. From what I recall. Greta had a spokesperson on from one of the area news stations. Here is the story according to the spokesperson:

Kayla had just left a party and was on the phone with her best friend (a male I believe). She pulled over to safely talk on the phone. She was approached by a few men while she was on the phone. The friend was able to make out some of what was being said and it sounded like she was giving them directions and then they left. A few minutes later, Kayla said they were coming back. The friend then heard a very loud noise (I assume the gunshot, but that was not confirmed on the show) and the conversation ended. I don't believe they gave any indication about what if anything was stolen.

That's all I can remember right now. Hopefully a transcript will be up soon. If anyone else saw the show and remembers it differently, please feel free to correct me.

How sad and what a beautiful girl with so much going for her. I feel so bad for her family. I wonder if this was another thrill kill. Those seem to be popular now days. What a shame that the phone call didn't take place after she got home but who would have thought that someone would just come up to her car and shoot her! She did the right thing by not talking on the phone while driving..there are always those "if onlys."

Hmm, her car rolled into a sign at the elementary school. So, her car must not have been in park mode.? Here's a picture of the sign
    http://www.wifr.com/nationalnews/hea.../10338632.html

Quote Originally Posted by ShowerSinger View Post
    Hmm, her car rolled into a sign at the elementary school. So, her car must not have been in park mode.? Here's a picture of the sign
    www.wifr.com/nationalnews/headlines/10338632.html
    So she may have just had her foot on the brake?

This is so senseless! I hope they catch whoever did this and let them fry slowly.

Arrests made

3 men have been arrested and charged with capital murder. Robbery appears to have been the motive. Ages 19, 19, and 20 year olds. Police say they got a tip while working another unrelated attempted murder case.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

That article said she had a BMW convertible, i would think the motive would be robbery.. that's such a waste.. my prayers for her family.. at least they caught the murderers..

Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    That article said she had a BMW convertible, i would think the motive would be robbery.. that's such a waste.. my prayers for her family.. at least they caught the murderers..

Hmmm. Try finding a pic of the perps. This is being kept too quiet, possibly because it's really ugly, maybe a gang initiation, or possibly one of the perps is connected??

Crypto6

Quote Originally Posted by crypto6 View Post
    Hmmm. Try finding a pic of the perps. This is being kept too quiet, possibly because it's really ugly, maybe a gang initiation, or possibly one of the perps is connected??

Crypto6
    The perps pic is on the front of the Birmingham News this morning, but there is no picture with the article at al.com. They are three black males. She was actually on the southside of Birmingham (not the northside as BhamMama thought), very near UAB where she went to school. This area is generally safer than the northside, because there are many students and UAB professionals in the area. Southside is also where the young have their nightlife. There are a number of upscale restaurants and clubs in the area. But crime does occur there because there are impoverished areas nearby.

Very sad for a beautiful young life to be snuffed out by three ****s....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast