Infant Cold Medicine Recalled......

deanws

Former Member
Reaction score
Popular Infant Cold Medicines Recalled
AP
Posted: 2007-10-11 10:16:29
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (Oct. 11) - Johnson & Johnson on Thursday voluntarily recalled certain infant cough and cold products, citing "rare" instances of misuse leading to overdoses.

In a statement, J&J's McNeil-PPC unit cited "rare instances of misuse", which could lead to overdoses "particularly in infants under two years of age."

The products being recalled include: infants' Tylenol Drops Plus Cold; Concentrated Infants' Tylenol Drops Plus Cold & Cough; Pediacare Infant Drops Decongestant; Pediacare Infant Drops Decongestant & Cough; Pediacare Infant Dropper Decongestant; Pediacare Infant Dropper Long-Acting Cough; and Pediacare Infant Dropper Decongestant & Cough (PE) products.

Cough and cold products for children age two and over and single-ingredient pain reliever and fever reducers expressly labeled for infants are not included in the recall.

More at link
http://money.aol.com/news/articles/...d/20071011090309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

You know, this one really bothers me. These are great products to help our children when they're sick, and are being recalled because in "rare instances" people forget to read the instructions.

It shouldn't matter how big the writing is, you should always read the dosing instructions, and if you don't understand them, call the pharmacist.

You know, this one really bothers me. These are great products to help our children when they're sick, and are being recalled because in "rare instances" people forget to read the instructions.

It shouldn't matter how big the writing is, you should always read the dosing instructions, and if you don't understand them, call the pharmacist.
Oh..BUT THEN people couldn't SUE if they followed the instructions now could they!?!?!:furious: I am sick and tired of things happening like this recall because others can't follow the instructions and then want to BLAME the makers for their own stupity! :waitasec:

I think when my kids were babies I would read the instructions 5 times before I would give them this stuff..I wish I had a dollar for everytime I was told "just give them a little Tylenol, they'll be asleep in no time", I firmly believe that people do misuse the stuff.

I'm glad I'm not the only one upset by this. I don't know who says these meds don't help our babies, but they sure did when my kids were sick! I'm one of those that read the directions (tiny as they are, mind you) over and over again to make sure I was getting it right. So I'm penalized? Or my child anyway? :razz:

I think what they are going to find is that more babies will die now because idiotic parents (those "rare" kind) will be giving their babies the adult meds in tiny doses which will probably end up harming their babies even more. :mad:

I agree. I've heard people talking about loading their kids up on cold meds for car/plane/whatever rides. Just so the kids will be quiet.

I agree. I've heard people talking about loading their kids up on cold meds for car/plane/whatever rides. Just so the kids will be quiet.
Yeah...I do too and that kind of stuff pisses me off! I say it is child abuse!
:mad:

I think what they are going to find is that more babies will die now because idiotic parents (those "rare" kind) will be giving their babies the adult meds in tiny doses which will probably end up harming their babies even more. :mad:

I hadn't even thought of that before reading your post, great point! I do hope they reconsider this before they do it. Even if it means putting it behind the counter and parents have to ask for it, and the pharmacist has to ask the age old question of " are you familiar with this medication and its uses"?

I took my son to the doctor when he was 3 because he lost his voice and was complaining about a sore throat. I had been giving him they Tylenol with Cold because of his runny nose and fever. The doctor told me that I actually made him worse by giving him the "With cold" and that I should've just given him regular Tylenol or alternated Tylenol and Motrin. He said that the "Cold" ingredient is too strong for a child and that it should be pulled off the shelves. I haven't used it since.

My opinion, but...

I think another part of the problem may be parents going by age instead of weight on the infant medicines. It was always confusion with my husband (and I still remind him, weight before age) what the dosing was, but he always asked me 5 times. My son has always been very big for his age, so he was always the next dose up from his age. The opposite would be true if you have a child who is tiny for their age, if the parent goes by age instead of weight, they could be overdosing their child. That is the only possible way I think there could be confusion on these medicines. But again, call the pharmacist, I'm a genius, ;), and even I have to call him sometimes.

I don't agree at all with parents that give their kids medicine to make them sleep or calm down.

My opinion, but...

I think another part of the problem may be parents going by age instead of weight on the infant medicines. It was always confusion with my husband (and I still remind him, weight before age) what the dosing was, but he always asked me 5 times. My son has always been very big for his age, so he was always the next dose up from his age. The opposite would be true if you have a child who is tiny for their age, if the parent goes by age instead of weight, they could be overdosing their child. That is the only possible way I think there could be confusion on these medicines. But again, call the pharmacist, I'm a genius, ;), and even I have to call him sometimes.

I don't agree at all with parents that give their kids medicine to make them sleep or calm down.

Yeah, this and the "more is better" rationality. :mad:

I always go by weight so my just turned 5 yr old can take childrens meds for 6+. I met someone once, who would dose her then 2 yr old son with enough meds for a 12 yr old to get him to sleep.

It's a sad day when pharmecutical companies have to worry about being sued for child abuse. Maybe a better idea would be simply to change dosage instructions based on wt only and not age. However, I don't think a recall will have any impact nor should it, on abusive parents. Whoever posted about adult meds was correct, that very well could happen next.

as the momma of 6 kids (one being 13 months) obviously this situation interests me.

Until I had my youngest daughter last year (my next oldenst is 11 so i wasn out of the loop for a long time) i had NO IDEA that these so called "infant drops" were in fact NOT recommended for Infants (children under 2 years of age).

I have since been educated that these OTC medication can be misused - and it's easy to do actually as many drugs have the same ingredients so if you give them Tylenol and Cough Medicine that ALSO has tylenol you have now given your child a double doses of Tylenol.

But anyway, my arguement is, yes i agree parents need to be "smart" about what they are giving their children and make sure they UNDERSTAND the dosing directions...however, I think the government needs to crack down on the labeling..since when is a child OVER 2 an infant?

My guess is they will rename these products and they will be back on the shelves.

Thankfully my children are too old for those products. Products that I did use for years.

The dosage chart with weight compared to age dosage on children's chewable tylenol (Walmart brand) is way off. Too much for a smaller or small frame child. Tylenol is probably the same, and some people might not even notice that.

The dosage chart with weight compared to age dosage on children's chewable tylenol (Walmart brand) is way off. Too much for a smaller or small frame child. Tylenol is probably the same, and some people might not even notice that.

They might have different mgs per tablet. I've run across that before and had to convert etc. What a pain! But for those that don't check those details, it can harm your child.

I know I used those products for years with my kids. Now that my granddaughter is here, I'm scared to death to give her anything, even if it is doctor prescribed. She has prescriptions for tylenol, a cough and cold treatment, and some kind of stomach medicine for her colic. When she was first prescribed these meds, I called the doctor before I even opened the bottles, that is how nervous I was. The nurse calmly explained to me how much of each thing I was supposed to give her when she needed them, and then she told me, you had four kids, don't you remember??? LOL!

I know of people who misuse benadryl to get their kids to sleep, but they say the doctor says it's ok, so it must be. I don't buy into that for an instant.

I know of people who misuse benadryl to get their kids to sleep, but they say the doctor says it's ok, so it must be. I don't buy into that for an instant.

I don't know of any healthcare professional who advocates giving benadryl to get kids to go to sleep or to use it as a sedative on a regular basis. There have been reports of death because of that. Actually, they are thinking of pulling benadryl for the same reasons! :eek:

Well there went half the kiddy naps in America. I hope they can find a safer medication for kids. I swear on meds one day its the perfect answer and the next you will die.

I think many of these "rare" bad reactions come from inappropriate use of the meds.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back