1096 users online (178 members and 918 guests)  

Websleuths News

OH - Court tosses conviction of man in telephone sex sting (child)

http://www.wkyc.com/news/regional/em...?storyid=75934

Court tosses conviction of man in telephone sex sting

Caitlin Kollar
    Created: 10/11/2007 6:35:26 PM
    Updated:10/11/2007 6:35:35 PM

AKRON, Ohio (AP) -- The conviction of an Ohio man found guilty of compelling prostitution has been thrown out by a state appeals court that ruled there was no crime because the people he agreed to pay for sex didn't exist.

(more at link)

Well, I'm sure he won't let us down and will get caught eventually. Hopefully everyone keeps their child away from him.

I have to admit I thought about that very thing when I heard about this case. It made me think about a similar case that was tossed becase the defendant argued that he hadn't solicited a child, he had solicitied an adult, even though he didn't know it at the time. I think they're both BS excuses but I'm conflicted on if I think it's right for anyone to pretend to be someone else online, even cops.

Al_B is offline Sometimes you just have to wonder why people are so ill-mannered
    this probably won't be over as quick as it sounds considering all the dateline cases and the recent on with the prosecutor from Florida was it

My very dearest Taximom,
    Thank-you for bringing this case to our attention.

So much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

This article gives a little more detail.

http://www.ohio.com/news/10447187.html

It all started with a personal ad in the newspaper: ''Ultimate Fantasy.''
    The fantasy, however, quickly soured for William Bartrum.
    He was convicted last year of compelling prostitution after he agreed to pay $500 to have sex with a woman and her 11-year-old daughter, neither of whom really existed.
    On Wednesday, the 9th District Court of Appeals tossed out the Rittman man's felony conviction and his designation as a sexually oriented offender.
    In a 2-1 decision, the court found that since there actually was no 11-year-old girl and no sex, there was no crime, despite a series of sordid text messages and phone calls between Bartrum and a working prostitute-turned-police informant.
    Ohio's compelling prostitution law, unlike some other sexually oriented statutes, ''does not prohibit agreements believed to be with a minor,'' judges Clair Dickinson and William Baird wrote in their decision overturning the conviction.
    Judge Lynn Slaby disagreed, saying the absence of a real child is ''immaterial'' and that Bartrum ''explicitly propositioned a person who he believed to be a potential child victim for sexual acts in exchange for money.''
    Summit County prosecutors said they intend to appeal the decision to the Ohio Supreme Court, saying the ruling conflicts with other courts and is ripe for argument.
    If the appeal fails, prosecutors said, they would pursue changes to state law to close the gap the judges cited in overturning the conviction.
    ''Obviously, we think what (Bartrum) did was illegal. That's why we prosecuted the case. We think what he did was horrible,'' said chief assistant prosecutor Mary Ann Kovach.
    Appellate attorney Christopher Muntean said his appeal of Bartrum's conviction did not involve arguments over the actual existence of the girl. The judges came to the conclusion on their own, he said.
    However, he said Bartrum was pleased with the ruling.

and

Bartrum's troubles began when he answered a prostitute's ad in February 2006 promising the ''Ultimate Fantasy.'' After receiving sex from the hooker, she offered to put him in touch with another prostitute who would bring along her 11-year-old daughter for an encounter.
    When Bartrum, 41, took the bait, the hooker contacted Cuyahoga Falls police. Court records show she is a confidential informant for the department, as well as a working prostitute.