731 users online (91 members and 640 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Girl Flying Solo Allegedly Molested

Airline Sued After Girl Flying Solo Allegedly Molested

http://www.abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3722012

"The lawsuit says the man began rubbing himself while rubbing the child's face."

They better look into this guy's life because if he can do this to someone in public on a plane, you know he's done it before to some victim in private. UGHHHHHH

What exactly did Delta do wrong...not handcuff everyone in a ajoining seat? How could anyone been expected to predict something as strange as this happening, much less be considered negligent for not having prevented it somehow. While I agree this guy has issues, some people will do anything for a paycheck. Yeah, I'm traumatized, some guy touched my face, give me money. Hopefully, they are planning on donating it to one of the hundreds of young girls who have been really tramatized by beening raped or abused or so many worse things than having your face touched.

Her face was not only carressed for he had fondled himself while doing this. She should not have been seated wth a man. I'm sure she should of been in an empty seat beside her or sat with stewardesses.
    Last edited by dottierainbow; 10-13-2007 at 08:30 AM. Reason: missing letters

I don't think it's the airlines job to segregate passengers. The booking of seats is either done by computer, selected by the passenger at the time of booking or is first come first serve by assigned boarding letter. I don't think it's fair to expect the airline to give special treatment to passengers based on the fact that her parents allowed her to travel alone. Perhaps someone should have gone with her. It's an airline, not a babysitting service after all. I know I flew by myself at that age and never expected or received any special treatment.

How the hell was Delta supposed to know she was flying alone, or was supposed to be seated separately from a man?? Are they mind-readers?
    For all they knew, (unless, they were TOLD ahead of time by the girls' parents..) this was father & daughter.
    So now,, men are just expected to be perverts,, and it's the job of everyone ELSE to do something about it?? How about making the PERVERT responsible for HIS behavior,, and suing HIM...??? Who knows what else he is doing out there to other children.

Wow.. there's an idea.. sue the perverts themselves, for being perverts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    How the hell was Delta suposed to know she was flying alone, or was supposed to be seated separately from a man?? Are they mind-readers?
    For all they knew, (unless, they were TOLD ahead of time by the girls' parents..) this was father & daughter.
    So now,, men are just expected to be perverts,, and it's the job of everyone ELSE to do something about it?? How about making the PERVERT responsible for HIS behavior,, and suing HIM...??? Who knows what else he is doing out there to other children.

Wow.. there's an idea.. sue the perverts themselves, for being perverts!!!
    Here, Here Or even, god forbid, the good old-fashioned thing of just being glad nothing worse happened and don't send you kid off traveling alone at 9 yrs. old, again.

When purchasing a ticket for someone under 18, most airlines require the name of the person dropping off the child and the name of the person picking up the child. Some airlines even charge extra, the stewardess will usually check on the child during the flight.
    Our daughter flew from Atlanta to W. Palm Beach alone the first time at 5 years old.

I agree... when I think of all the upsetting things that happen to children, and teens, adults too.. hey guess what that's life.. The girl was not really HARMED.. it's not like she was raped,, and I would not call that a 'sexual assault'... some pervert was getting off while touching her face... well I guess now she's gonna be scarred for life and need years of therapy. While I agree this was WRONG and the man should have been STOPPED (or possibly sued, maybe this would send a message to pervs out there!).. at the same time, I am so sick of seeing people sue for every little thing. Geez,, people in the past were sure a lot tougher than today. Not that you should put up with behavior like this, but at the same time, the parents are probably gonna make such a big deal out of it.. and the girl is going to go around telling everyone she was sexually assaulted and she now can't cope with life and needs special treatment,, she's too damaged, etc... sometimes I think the parents brainwash their children and make it worse!
    All of a sudden everyone's suing for 'emotional trauma'.. PLEASE!!!! LIFE in general,, is traumatic!! Are we gonna sue for every little stupid thing?? Besides,, did the girl not ask to talk to the steward/stewardess?? Was there not anyone else around who could see what was going on?? The parents were also at fault for NOT teaching their girl to SPEAK UP when someone was doing something like this to her.

...January 6th, but authorities have filed no criminal charges and have not identified a suspect.
    Why has no suspect been identified? I'm pretty sure this information is available for every flight by looking at the seating log. How come just now, in OCTOBER a suit was being filed for alleged molestation when this took place in January? There's more to this than just the lawsuit for damages. And I agree with whoever said Delta is an airline NOT a babysitting service.

They should charge extra if they have to provide extra services. After a few more cases like this, they'll probably take a cue from the cruise industry and require an adult to travel with the child or else they will require a signed waiver. They are always complaining about costs, they can't afford to be exposed to this kind of liability. I don't think this is a situation where being checked on was an issue, it sounds more like a fleeting thing than something that was going on the entire flight.

Children Traveling Alone DELTA

Unaccompanied service is required for all children 514 years old when not traveling in the same compartment with an adult at least 18 years old or the child's parent/legal guardian.
    http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...lone/index.jsp

I, personally, would not allow my child to travel alone, but I know that there are situations in which it is unavoidable. As a parent, I would expect the airline to seat my child in an area where stewards could easily see him or her, such as a seat adjacent to their worksation. I would have reasonable expectations of having my child monitored by the stewards. However, I would be well aware that stewards would not be able to babysit my child's every moment on the flight. These people do have a job to do, after all.

I also would expect the airline to have a little common sense regarding who sits immediately adjacent to my child. Preferably, the child should not be seated next to an adult male in an area where supervision is difficult. Obviously, sitting next to a woman doesn't guarantee the that the child will be safe and well treated. But even putting aside the fear that the man sitting next to your child could be a pervert, there's no denying that a huge physical, mental and emotional power differential exists between any adult male and a 9 year old girl. She shouldn't have been seated there at all. If I was a steward on the flight, you can bet your bottom dollar that I would make sure unaccompanyed children were seated next to my workstation and that I would keep a very close eye on them. That's the kind of person I am. On the same vein, if I was the parent of the child, I'd be damn sure I knew where my child's exact seat was and who was sitting around him or her. In the old days (pre 9/11), parents were allowed to go on the plane, seat the child, and say good bye before the plane took off. I don't know if that's still the case.

i don't know the specifics of this case, but I suspect that as in most cases, the adults in this child's life failed her in some way. The parent who did not insist on an optimal seating arrangement, the booking people who didn't take the extra step of researching who was sitting next to the girl or the stewards who didn't go the extra step of watching her a little more closely... any one of these may have some culpability. Whether or not it rises to a litigational level, I have no idea.

And while I would be grateful that nothing worse happened to her, I wouldn't just walk away and say "oh well". It's unacceptable to me that any child be subject to something like that.

I would never allow my children to fly alone, unless a court ordered me to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    I agree... when I think of all the upsetting things that happen to children, and teens, adults too.. hey guess what that's life.. The girl was not really HARMED.. it's not like she was raped,, and I would not call that a 'sexual assault'... some pervert was getting off while touching her face... well I guess now she's gonna be scarred for life and need years of therapy. While I agree this was WRONG and the man should have been STOPPED (or possibly sued, maybe this would send a message to pervs out there!).. at the same time, I am so sick of seeing people sue for every little thing. Geez,, people in the past were sure a lot tougher than today. Not that you should put up with behavior like this, but at the same time, the parents are probably gonna make such a big deal out of it.. and the girl is going to go around telling everyone she was sexually assaulted and she now can't cope with life and needs special treatment,, she's too damaged, etc... sometimes I think the parents brainwash their children and make it worse!
    All of a sudden everyone's suing for 'emotional trauma'.. PLEASE!!!! LIFE in general,, is traumatic!! Are we gonna sue for every little stupid thing?? Besides,, did the girl not ask to talk to the steward/stewardess?? Was there not anyone else around who could see what was going on?? The parents were also at fault for NOT teaching their girl to SPEAK UP when someone was doing something like this to her.
    It is sexual assault if someone masturbates while touching you if you haven't given your consent to be touched. Period.

I don't expect a girl this age to be able to speak about it to strangers if something that gross were happening to her. I wouldn't have been able to - and I surely don't blame the parents for not "teaching" her to speak up in such a situation.

That said, I don't understand why the airline is being sued for this. I guess more facts will come out during discovery.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    It is sexual assault if someone masturbates while touching you if you haven't given your consent to be touched. Period.

I don't expect a girl this age to be able to speak about it to strangers if something that gross were happening to her. I wouldn't have been able to - and I surely don't blame the parents for not "teaching" her to speak up in such a situation.

That said, I don't understand why the airline is being sued for this. I guess more facts will come out during discovery.
    A loud AMEN! to everything you have said. Spot on.

Hoppy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast