1159 users online (249 members and 910 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CO - Alize Vick, 2, beaten to death, Colorado Springs, 9 Oct 2007

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...07/detail.html
    2-Year-Old Girl Dies From 'Violent Blow To Head'

POSTED: 1:54 pm MDT October 12, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:50 pm MDT October 12, 2007

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- A woman described as a "professional foster parent" was jailed without bond Friday on suspicion of first-degree murder and felony child abuse after the death of a 2-year-old girl in her care.
    Aliz Vick died Wednesday, a day after suffering what a neurosurgeon described to police as a "violent blow to the head," authorities said.
    Foster mother Jules Lynn Cuneo, 34, initially told El Paso County sheriff's deputies the girl had hit her head when she fell out of a parked vehicle. She also told deputies she was bouncing Aliz on her knee when the child fell and struck her head on a coffee table.
    According to an arrest affidavit, Cuneo, the mother of 8-year-old twins, later allegedly confessed "she had gotten angry" with Aliz and had thrown her, causing her head to hit a coffee table.
    Cuneo appeared court Friday but did not say anything. Her next court date was set for Oct. 22. A message left for Cuneo through jail officials wasn't immediately returned.

and

Sheriff's officials are also investigating a series of other child-abuse complaints against Cuneo dating to 2003.
    On May 8, a couple of months after Aliz and her 9-month-old brother, Anthony, were placed in Cuneo's home, a neighbor complained to the county Department of Human Services of sounds she picked up over her baby monitor, Breister said.
    The neighbor said she could hear the child screaming for Cuneo to get off of her and Aliz crying that she couldn't breathe, Breister said. Cuneo weighs 300 pounds, according to jail records.
    Breister said there was no indication the complaint was investigated.
    (much more at link)

Why doesn't anyone care about our children, especially those that are supposed to be in charge? How could they let her have more children if there was even a smidgen of doubt about abuse in that home?

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    It does seem that no one cares at times. I agree with you, they should not have let her have more children until all doubt was cleared.

Is this for real?! Someone was actually charged with MURDER in Colorado?! And of a child?!

This poor baby. I want to know why were the grandparents not given the children first. They were good enough to have unsupervised visits then they should have been first. In Illinois we have this major problem where they don't look for family members first, they just place them with anyone who will take them. We had a protest awhile back of grandparents and other family members of children in foster care who were not able to have the children and were qualified. So they are left with strangers who most the time are doing it for money. Don't get me wrong my mom does foster care and she doesn't do it for the money but a lot of people do and it is so sad.

now her own kids are in the system....I hope they are treated better then she treated her foster children

Quote Originally Posted by wildTrose View Post
    now her own kids are in the system....I hope they are treated better then she treated her foster children
    Amen!

It is hard to believe that the very system designed to protect these children is the very one sending them to be tortured and abused. I understand that the system is overwhelmed, but how can you not investigate such a report of blatent abuse?

I am terribly vexed.
    You shall not accept any information,
    unless you verify it for yourself.
    I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them.

Holy Quran [17:36]

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Is this for real?! Someone was actually charged with MURDER in Colorado?! And of a child?!
    I shouldn't laugh, but this made me chuckle. When I actually typed "Colorado" I did have to look again to make sure it wasn't some small town in TX. (not picking on TX though!)

Is the difference in this one because she was receiving money from the gov't and some of the others have just been well-off and/or connected?

This is the upteenth million case where foster care is at issue. I happen to know that many of these foster parents are in it for the money only. Physical and sexual abuse has been rampant in foster care as long as I can remember.

I hate to see cases where well meaning people start yelling, "take the kids" like in the McCann case. This little girl is one of many probably taken from a horrific life just to die miserably at the hands of another. I really wish we could revamp this system.

i think foster parents should have to be educated, with a degree in child care, and then it would be ok to pay them after they have been thru a vigorous amount of testing and background checks etc....
    so then they could do it as a profession, like teaching or day care owners.

Quote Originally Posted by wildTrose View Post
    i think foster parents should have to be educated, with a degree in child care, and then it would be ok to pay them after they have been thru a vigorous amount of testing and background checks etc....
    so then they could do it as a profession, like teaching or day care owners.
    Quite truthfully I think orphanges would be better than foster care. There would be many people working, making sure noone is getting abused. They wouldn't be shuttled from one place to another.

thats true the money they shell out to these people who only want the money but not the kids they could build some very nice orphanges with trained staff and I bet the amount of murders and abuse would be cut at least in half! they would certainly all be fed, have a nice bed to sleep in, and people who actually care would be the influence in their lives!
    there are so many good under paid teachers I think would be perfect for something like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by imthemom View Post
    Quite truthfully I think orphanges would be better than foster care. There would be many people working, making sure noone is getting abused. They wouldn't be shuttled from one place to another.

People, be reasonable.

Listen to yourselves.

There are thousands of safe, loving foster families in this country, and very few are "in it for the money". We only read about the bad ones. The majority of foster parents do an incredibly hard (and increasingly dangerous) job and rarely get even a thank you.

Orphanages!!!! Are you kidding????

Yes, the kids would have food, a roof over their heads and decent clothes. But they wouldn't get the one thing foster families were designed for- a loving family to bond with and temporarily take the place of their own parents. Sometimes foster homes are the only place these children receive love and attention because their own birth families are so screwed up through drugs, crime and past abuse they can't take care of themselves, let alone the kids. If the children are "lucky", they might be adopted out, but often they're sent back to living situations that have only marginally improved, if at all.

You have no idea what it's like to be a foster mother and send a precious, innocent baby, whom you've bonded with over the past year and love like your own, back to a drug-addict birthmother who is faking her way through reunification.

And don't think there wouldn't be abuse in an orphanage!! The child welfare system in the early part of the 20th century proved how easy it is to abuse institutionalized children. Babies tied into cribs, toddlers left alone in locked rooms for hours because of understaffing. The older and stronger kids preying on the small, helpless ones. Didn't any of you see Annie? Or look at the pictures of eastern Europe's orphanages when the USSR fell? It would be a jail sentence for most of these children.

You start building orphanages and within a generation you would see such an increase of rampant sociopathic and psychopathic crime, you can't even imagine.

Al_B is offline Sometimes you just have to wonder why people are so ill-mannered
    I have experienced both kinds when I had a break down and my children were placed .
    My son's foster's were great and I still keep in contact I just seen them today in fact.
    My daughter's weren't so lucky and while they were not hit they did witness physical abuse of the parents adopted children and all the children recieved their share of verbal and mental(my daughters fosters were on the board for foster as well,and it concerned me that they only dealt with girls and the stories my daughters told me and I do believe my children and have no reason not to I know about everything they do and if I want to know I ask and they tell me honestly)
    Last edited by Al_B; 10-13-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Prom 2008

I totally agree with you, Cali. I believe that there would be more murder/death/abuse in orphanages. Sure, most people who work at the orphanage will initially love children and be looking out for their best interest, but over time, that would change, I'm sure. They would be dealing with a lot of high needs children from various backgrounds and overtime, their patience would wear thin. Some would be in it 'for the money' also. A place of employment, not just because they love children. If you don't have a passion for what you do, you won't do well. Children deserve better than to be grouped together in orphanaged. I've met a few foster parents, and they are amazing people and I hope to be able to do the same one day. It is rare that abuse/murder happen in foster homes. We just hear the bad on the news, not the good.

Thank you Cali!! As a former foster parent myself, you people obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You're spurting myths and mistruths. Unlike the perception that many people have, Foster Parents are not paid much money to take other peoples children into thier own and care for them. 1 out of 9 kids that I cared for had more than the shirt on thier back when coming into care. That means, that within 24 hours, I am at the store buying socks, underware or diapers, shirts, undershirts, pants shoes, coats.... all on my dime! Not to mention all the driving to and from visitations, especially with the price of gas these days. Young Babies often have visits 3-4 times a week. Let me tell you that after feeding, clothing and diapering them we rarely broke even at the end of the month with the money they gave us.

You only hear of the bad foster homes. For every bad foster home, there are thousands of good ones.

Before you go suggesting we have Orphanges, please do society a favor and do a little research on ATTATCHMENT DISORDER. Read about how disconnected and screwed up many of the children Adopted Internationally from Orphanages are. Yeah......NOT a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast