1010 users online (195 members and 815 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CA - Cynthia Sumpter, 5, San Jose, 27 April 1974

Cynthia Lynn Sumpter
    Missing since April 27, 1974 from San Jose, Santa Clara County, California.
    Classification: Non Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: July 18, 1968
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 5 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'8; 55 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
    Marks, Scars: Sumpter has a cowlick on the right side of her hairline. She has a mole on the left side of her neck.
    Dentals: Not available
    Clothing: Red/White sleeveless blouse with blue star on chest, long purple slacks.
    Nickname: Cindy

Circumstances of Disappearance

Sumpter was last seen playing outside of her residence in San Jose, California on April 27, 1974.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Sumpter's whereabouts, please contact:

San Jose Police Department
    408-277-4786

All information may be submitted anonymously.

Agency Case Number:

NCMEC #: NCMC601913

NCIC Number:
    M-136918861

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    CA DOJ
    The Doe Network: Case File 334DFCA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/334dfca.html

Thank you Richard. I've seen her name come up elsewhere but I guess Cynthia never had her own thread. She has been ruled out as a match for Sharon Marshall via DNA testing.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...r_cynthia.html

Sumpter was last seen playing in the front yard of her family's apartment house on Elm Street in San Jose, California on April 27, 1974. She has never been heard from again. Sumpter's mother began looking for her between 1:30 and 1:45 p.m. that same day. When she had searched for half an hour with no result, she called police. A massive search of San Jose turned up no sign of the child. Witnesses report that she was in a blue car driven by an unidentified young man with blond hair and a moustache; these sightings have not been confirmed. Sumpter's parents had had a bitter divorce a year before her disappearance and each one accused the other of hiding her. Both her mother and father passed polygraph tests and police ruled them out as suspects.

I wish there was a sketch of the man who supposedly took her. There was another Southern California missing persons case where a girl went to the store with her friend. When they came out, the girl's scooter was in the parking lot. She went to retrieve it, and a blonde-haired man grabbed her, put her in his car, and drove away.

It sounds like it could be connected, but I can't remember the girl's name to look at the statistics.

Age enhanced photo...

Cynthia Lynn Sumpter's case appears on several other websites. Here is a link to one featuring an age enhanced photo:

http://caag.state.ca.us/missing/qb/missing_bulletin.pdf

iNTERESTEDWOMAN is offline I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oil.
    I've always wondered if this case and Anna Waters case weren't related. Anna missing since 1-16-73 from Rural Half Moon Bay, CA age 5. Blonde hair. Anna was last seen playing outside her residents.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Similar appearance, as in they are both cute with dimples etc. (I didn't say exact for all those who like to disagree on appearance) Also, Anna has brown eyes whereas Cindy's are blue.

also see link for more detail:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    I wish there was a sketch of the man who supposedly took her. There was another Southern California missing persons case where a girl went to the store with her friend. When they came out, the girl's scooter was in the parking lot. She went to retrieve it, and a blonde-haired man grabbed her, put her in his car, and drove away.

It sounds like it could be connected, but I can't remember the girl's name to look at the statistics.

That was Michaela Garecht. She disappeared in 1988. I thought the same thing when I read the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondgirl View Post
    That was Michaela Garecht. She disappeared in 1988. I thought the same thing when I read the first post.
    Michaela Garecht disappeared in Northern California (Hayward) which is not far from San Jose.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

A few suspects...

Several people claimed to know Sumpter's whereabouts and
    attempted to extort money from her parents, but none of them really knew anything about her case.

Antonio Madrid was investigated for possible involvement in Sumpter's disappearance. He was the stepfather of one of her friends and lived only about 100 yards from her apartment. Madrid committed suicide two days after Sumpter disappeared. After his death, police found a bloodstained shirt belonging to him, and blonde hairs in his car.

A convicted murderer named Eugene Joseph Wesley is also a possible suspect. He took two polygraph tests about Sumpter's case and the results indicated that he knew more than he was saying about her disappearance. Wesley was never charged in connection with her case, however, and has since died in prison.

Sumpter's mother believes her daughter is still alive.
    Police believe Sumpter was abducted.
    Foul play is suspected in her case.

Source:

The Charley Project: Cynthia Lynn Sumpter

Link:

iNTERESTEDWOMAN is offline I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...snip

Antonio Madrid was investigated for possible involvement in Sumpter's disappearance. He was the stepfather of one of her friends and lived only about 100 yards from her apartment. Madrid committed suicide two days after Sumpter disappeared. After his death, police found a bloodstained shirt belonging to him, and blonde hairs in his car....snip
    Source:

The Charley Project: Cynthia Lynn Sumpter

Link:

I've searched California death records for a few hours and this is as close as I can find to Antonio Madrid listed as possible suspect, (who committed suicide 2 days later). This guy is in the same county, but listed as Anthony and death date would be 4 days after Cynthia disappeared. I wonder if they still have the evidence found in his car for a DNA comparison? To me, he seems the most likely person to have abducted Cynthia. Considering he and his family was of Mexican decent, the blonde hair is very suspicious. Wish I could find more on this guy.

Name:Anthony Madrid
    Sex:MALE
    Birth Date:23 Mar 1941
    Birthplace:New Mexico
    Death Date:1 May 1974
    Death Place:Santa Clara county

Cynthia has been missing for 34 years now...

Quote Originally Posted by iNTERESTEDWOMAN View Post
    I've searched California death records for a few hours and this is as close as I can find to Antonio Madrid listed as possible suspect, (who committed suicide 2 days later). This guy is in the same county, but listed as Anthony and death date would be 4 days after Cynthia disappeared. I wonder if they still have the evidence found in his car for a DNA comparison? To me, he seems the most likely person to have abducted Cynthia. Considering he and his family was of Mexican decent, the blonde hair is very suspicious. Wish I could find more on this guy.

Name:Anthony Madrid
    Sex:MALE
    Birth Date:23 Mar 1941
    Birthplace:New Mexico
    Death Date:1 May 1974
    Death Place:Santa Clara county
    I agree...he does seem suspicious, especially since he died just a few days later. I doubt that they have compared the DNA. They didn't have that kind of technology then, and i highly doubt that when they finally did, the first thing that came to their minds was to test DNA on a case that was probably well over 20 years old by the time the technology came out.
    I hope someone would suggest it to them now though.

What a beautiful little girl...I hope her parents someday get the answers they deserve, although I doubt they will.
    "well, in my mind, my opinion is not so humble at all...it's just my opinion"

Megan Kanka
    December 7, 1986 - July 31, 1994
    forever missed

Someone, somewhere knows what happened to CRYSTAL TYMICH

It seems to me they should still have the shirt in an evidence file, as well as the blond hair. I can't see that it should be a problem obtaining a dna sample from her Mother. This may help bring her closure.

Cynthia's NamUs profile doesn't show a dna is currently available..

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6703/0/

The blonde hairs alone might not be enough but if the blood on the shirt proved to belong to Cynthia along with the hairs at least it might mean partial closure.

I so wish there were answers for Cynthia's case.
    I've always kept her case in my prayers.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

So many young girls vanished around the area that Michaela Garecht, Amanda Campbell, Angela Bugay and many others disappeared, all within the same time period...there HAS to be some connection!
    Have You Seen Me?
    Deanie Marie Pyle Peters
    Mary Jo Lee Long
    Leanna "Beaner" Warner
    Jodi Huisentruit
    Amy Billig
    Rachael Garden
    Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley
    The Springfield Three
    Fawn & Rozlin Abell
    The Forth Worth Trio
    Rachel Mellon Skemp

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/photos/full/20806
    Where is Sharon Rose Sons?
    Discuss her case here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...aron+rose+sons

"We lose our keys, we lose our glasses..but how, in America, do we lose our children?!"-Molly Bish's Mother
    **All posts are my opinion.**

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast