Catholic Confession

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcc2007

Reaction score
New thread mostly because I wasn't sure where to put it. Apologies if it's already been discussed. Can anyone explain to me how 'confession' works? My main question is this: If you confess something bad does the Priest limit himself to giving you God's forgiveness, or does he also give you advice on what to do about it here on earth?

I'm thinking of how Kate might have confessed to the Portuguese priest that she did something bad to Madeleine. I imagine a Protestant minister giving advice, and I'm sure it would be something like: "come clean", "make things right here on earth", "give Madeleine a proper christian burial", "pay the consequences (jail, whatever) and get your life back on track."

If your priest told you that and you're a devout Catholic, wouldn't you do it? Hard to imagine not doing it. Since Kate obviously has not come clean, there's some 'splainin' to do. Either:

The priest did not give her advice (because they're not allowed to), or
The priest give her advice but she is ignoring it (because ... ???), or
Kate never confessed having done something bad to Madeleine.

But if Kate didn't confess to having done something bad to Madeleine, then why is the Priest "tormented" as some reports suggest?

New thread mostly because I wasn't sure where to put it. Apologies if it's already been discussed. Can anyone explain to me how 'confession' works? My main question is this: If you confess something bad does the Priest limit himself to giving you God's forgiveness, or does he also give you advice on what to do about it here on earth?

I'm thinking of how Kate might have confessed to the Portuguese priest that she did something bad to Madeleine. I imagine a Protestant minister giving advice, and I'm sure it would be something like: "come clean", "make things right here on earth", "give Madeleine a proper christian burial", "pay the consequences (jail, whatever) and get your life back on track."

If your priest told you that and you're a devout Catholic, wouldn't you do it? Hard to imagine not doing it. Since Kate obviously has not come clean, there's some 'splainin' to do. Either:

The priest did not give her advice (because they're not allowed to), or
The priest give her advice but she is ignoring it (because ... ???), or
Kate never confessed having done something bad to Madeleine.

But if Kate didn't confess to having done something bad to Madeleine, then why is the Priest "tormented" as some reports suggest?

Where has it been reported that the priest is "tormented?"

Darn good questions. I am not catholic, so I can't answer those questions. I do have a comment. It's not up to any priest, no matter what faith based it is derived from, forgiveness is between the wrong doer, sinner and God.

Forgiveness is an automatic spiritual law is your a forgiver and repent of your sins. Hope that helps. We do have some devout Catholics here, this thread has the potential to be fantastic if it goes right.

I can answer for my faith as to how I feel a priest or pastor would guide Kate. Very interesting path of thought here. Give me some time to think about the possibilities Kate or even Gerry could have said in confession and all the scenerios associated with different confessions, non-confession, etc...

Where's our Catholics so we can get started? Oh no it just hit me hard. Wham!

When you confess your sins, wrong doings, the spirit of the Lord puts you under conviction to do the right thing. In other words, right the wrong that's been done if given the opportunity to do it. Obey the laws of the land at that point forward, along with the spiritual laws. That's what a pastor in my opinion should instruct.

I thought I had read the torment priest info earlier on myself and had thought the exact same thing, then it's slipped my mind thereafter. This could be a potential lead and evidence. I need to go read your link to the torment description. Is that the only info we have concerning this priest or priests they've come into contact with?

Concerning murder, I believe my faith would be if a person confesses murder to their priest/pastor, the pastor does and would contact authorities, after following the proper channels, commands and chains of authority. I'm saying to allow the wrong doer to take the first steps themselves without outside interference from the church. A lawful upright pastor should report a murder if their without a doubt under the assumption it's true from that person and not gossip.

Confession is absolution of your sins and a prescribed penance. Generally prayers and/or good deeds. Really, thats all.

I guess the whole media campaign to raise awareness could be considered a good deed. They have often make the statements how is is about Maddie, but is it?

No, the priest may not report the crime. He should die with it, or risk being ex-communicated.

Darn good questions. I am not catholic, so I can't answer those questions. I do have a comment. It's not up to any priest, no matter what faith based it is derived from, forgiveness is between the wrong doer, sinner and God.

Forgiveness is an automatic spiritual law is your a forgiver and repent of your sins. Hope that helps. We do have some devout Catholics here, this thread has the potential to be fantastic if it goes right.

I can answer for my faith as to how I feel a priest or pastor would guide Kate. Very interesting path of thought here. Give me some time to think about the possibilities Kate or even Gerry could have said in confession and all the scenerios associated with different confessions, non-confession, etc...

Where's our Catholics so we can get started? Oh no it just hit me hard. Wham!

When you confess your sins, wrong doings, the spirit of the Lord puts you under conviction to do the right thing. In other words, right the wrong that's been done if given the opportunity to do it. Obey the laws of the land at that point forward, along with the spiritual laws. That's what a pastor in my opinion should instruct.

I thought I had read the torment priest info earlier on myself and had thought the exact same thing, then it's slipped my mind thereafter. This could be a potential lead and evidence. I need to go read your link to the torment description. Is that the only info we have concerning this priest or priests they've come into contact with?

Concerning murder, I believe my faith would be if a person confesses murder to their priest/pastor, the pastor does and would contact authorities, after following the proper channels, commands and chains of authority. I'm saying to allow the wrong doer to take the first steps themselves without outside interference from the church. A lawful upright pastor should report a murder if their without a doubt under the assumption it's true from that person and not gossip.

-- Glad you see the same interesting puzzle here that I do, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the various "confession" options. Also hoping to hear from Catholic readers!

-- There have been several articles about this priest, but I couldn't find them all. I think one was about how this fellow was somehow reassigned and an Anglican priest took his place?

What Rino said... the priest is basically a mediator who absolves us of our sins. Penance is assigned. But in today's age I could definitely see my pastor telling me to come clean if I hurt someone be it murder, adultery, etc. If you do harm to someone, you do harm to God. If you are not truly sorry in your heart then it takes more than just confession to right that wrong. If I commit adultery, confess it but keep doing it then I'm not really sorry. Make sense?

Where is Dark Knight when we need him?!

I'm Catholic, lapsed but still Catholic and I've always heard that if you
confess a crime that the Priest can and is supposed to turn you in to the police. I'm checking on it, went to the main source, Grandma!

I'll get back to you. I don't see how a Priest can be ex communicated for
reporting a murder that was confessed to him. That in itself sounds like a crime.

Also if a murder is confessed to a priest while in the act of confession (reconciliation) then a priest can not go to the police.

I was meeting a priest friend for dinner once and told him before we left that I needed to talk to him about a guy I dated. Before I could continue he needed to know if I wanted this to be in a confessional sense. I thought it funny that he asked but he was basically asking if I needed him as a friend or priest. I appreciated it afterward.....

This pretty much sums it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrament_of_Penance_(Catholic_Church)

Seal of Confession
For Catholic priests, the confidentiality of all statements made by penitents during the course of confession is absolute. This strict confidentiality is known as the Seal of the Confessional. According to the Code of Canon Law, 983 §1, "The sacramental seal is inviolable; therefore it is absolutely forbidden for a confessor to betray in any way a penitent in words or in any manner and for any reason." Priests may not reveal what they have learned during confession to anyone, even under the threat of their own death or that of others. (This is unique to the Seal of the Confessional. Many other forms of confidentiality, including in most states attorney-client privilege, allow ethical breaches of the confidence to save the life of another.) For a priest to break that confidentiality would lead to a latae sententiae (automatic) excommunication reserved to the Holy See (Code of Canon Law, 1388 §1). In a criminal matter, a priest may encourage the penitent to surrender to authorities. However, this is the extent of the leverage he wields; he may not directly or indirectly disclose the matter to civil authorities himself.

I'm Catholic, lapsed but still Catholic and I've always heard that if you
confess a crime that the Priest can and is supposed to turn you in to the police. I'm checking on it, went to the main source, Grandma!

I'll get back to you. I don't see how a Priest can be ex communicated for
reporting a murder that was confessed to him. That in itself sounds like a crime.

I grew up being taught the other way around, Lurker. I too will check.

Thanks for the info. It still doesn't seem right that the priest would be kicked out for saving the life of someone else or reporting a murder itself.

Just one of the many things that don't make sense about the Catholic religion.

Father Jose Pacheco was reported to have said he would support the McCanns until he died because he had been so close to their terrible anguish but he has also been quoted as saying he "was deceived". He did not indicate by whom.

What Rino said... the priest is basically a mediator who absolves us of our sins. Penance is assigned. But in today's age I could definitely see my pastor telling me to come clean if I hurt someone be it murder, adultery, etc. If you do harm to someone, you do harm to God. If you are not truly sorry in your heart then it takes more than just confession to right that wrong. If I commit adultery, confess it but keep doing it then I'm not really sorry. Make sense?

Where is Dark Knight when we need him?!

I just paged/beeped him over in the jury room my dear. Two minds thinking alike. :) Your explanation and post was excellent and very to the point. I like the understandablity of it. Geez, I just now made it all incomprehensible with all these big words. I need to shut up, it's getting worse by the letter. Baaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa

I just paged/beeped him over in the jury room my dear. Two minds thinking alike. :) Your explanation and post was excellent and very to the point. I like the understandablity of it. Geez, I just now made it all incomprehensible with all these big words. I need to shut up, it's getting worse by the letter. Baaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa

That's funny because I thought about doing that myself. LOL!! Ahhh great minds DO think alike. Thank you for your compliment. Confession is something I have a hard time trying to explain to others. :eek:

Thanks for the info. It still doesn't seem right that the priest would be kicked out for saving the life of someone else or reporting a murder itself.

It isn't right. We know the truth when we hear it, that's the Word. But, like mreg said, he's been taught the opposite, so there's potential for confusion in the eyes of the world.

Just one of the many things that don't make sense about the Catholic religion.
Agree, if true.

Father Jose Pacheco was reported to have said he would support the McCanns until he died because he had been so close to their terrible anguish but he has also been quoted as saying he "was deceived". He did not indicate by whom.
Interesting point.

I grew up being taught the other way around, Lurker. I too will check.

Amazing. I have learned so much. Thanks guys.

That's funny because I thought about doing that myself. LOL!! Ahhh great minds DO think alike. Thank you for your compliment. Confession is something I have a hard time trying to explain to others. :eek:

:innocent:
:crazy: Nice to meet cha!

I'm here, lol.

Generally we have to make right any sin we have commited against another person. Make reparations, etc. That's part of a GOOD confession and is a part of penance. Almost no Priest would tell someone who confessed murder to just go say a few Hail Mary's or whatever. I'm not a priest but I would HAVE to think if she ever confessed murder, the priest would have told her she needs to turn herself in to the authorities. Because not following civil law is also considered a sin, that would need to be a part of her absolution, I am fairly certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77