768 users online (112 members and 656 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,667

    5,000 toothpicks ruin high school football game

    http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7236445

    Michigan State Police are going business to business to help find out who pulled a toothpick prank at a high school in Tawas City.

    Someone embedded an estimated 5,000 toothpicks in Tawas Area High School's football field last week.

    School administrators tell The Bay City Times they don't have any solid leads about who's responsible.

    Last Friday's game had to be moved to the opposing team's home field.
    Maintenance crews drove a weighted roller across Tawas' football field to neutralize the wooden stubble.

    (Personally, I think that's a very creative prank and the state police ought to worry about REAL crime! Hoppy)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post
    http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7236445

    Michigan State Police are going business to business to help find out who pulled a toothpick prank at a high school in Tawas City.

    Someone embedded an estimated 5,000 toothpicks in Tawas Area High School's football field last week.

    School administrators tell The Bay City Times they don't have any solid leads about who's responsible.

    Last Friday's game had to be moved to the opposing team's home field.
    Maintenance crews drove a weighted roller across Tawas' football field to neutralize the wooden stubble.

    (Personally, I think that's a very creative prank and the state police ought to worry about REAL crime! Hoppy)
    It really is, Hoppy! Of course, I am glad it was discovered and no one was hurt, but that's a fairly impressive idea and feat.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    That's crazy! I can't even imagine the time it would take to stick all those toothpicks in the ground.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,437
    Kids!!
    They sure must have a lot of time their hands.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    816
    I would find this to be a bit clever if I didn't know that it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for a field.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by sleuthin4fun View Post
    I would find this to be a bit clever if I didn't know that it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for a field.
    That, and that the players could get hurt from the prank.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,234
    yeha, they could have gotten really hurt. even one left toothpick can leave a player seriously hurt. not just a scrape or a pinch, either. what if a toothpick got into a knee requiring surgery?

    for an athelete, that can mean college scholarships or even a career... GONE. you could have to worry about physical therapy, a lengthy inpatient stay or home health for IV antibiotics post surgery if you have to retrieve the forgien body... i mean, this is a big deal.

    this is not funny at all. i'm not sure what all gear football players wear, but i hope they would be protected from a toothpick getting in a knee or whatever even if they aren't all flattened down when they decide to use the field again.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sleuthin4fun View Post
    I would find this to be a bit clever if I didn't know that it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for a field.
    I don't know of any high school that spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on anything much less a football field.

    However, this could cost the insurance company some money in repairing it for the safety of the players. One toothpick could pierce an eye or some other vital organ, if driven inward far enough. They will need to take off the dirt and resod to be absolutely safe, imo.

    The pranksters took this one too far and should be held accountable for some or all of the costs.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

    A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.



    What I post are my opinions only.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by pedinurse View Post
    yeha, they could have gotten really hurt. even one left toothpick can leave a player seriously hurt. not just a scrape or a pinch, either. what if a toothpick got into a knee requiring surgery?

    for an athelete, that can mean college scholarships or even a career... GONE. you could have to worry about physical therapy, a lengthy inpatient stay or home health for IV antibiotics post surgery if you have to retrieve the forgien body... i mean, this is a big deal.

    this is not funny at all. i'm not sure what all gear football players wear, but i hope they would be protected from a toothpick getting in a knee or whatever even if they aren't all flattened down when they decide to use the field again.
    Absolutely! I can't believe people are laughing at this and thinking it was a clever prank. I stepped on a toothpick once while barefoot and it went into my foot. It was very painful. It could go into a knee, an arm, an eye. When a football player is lying at the bottom of a heap of players, it could be very painful to have toothpicks going into the skin. If the field is turf, which some high schools do have, it does run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Even a grass field costs a lot for the upkeep. If someones wants to do a prank, it should be one that doesn't hurt any one.

    ETA I would suspect someone from the opposing team. Maybe they wanted the game moved to their place. I remember when I was in high school, some students from a school we were getting ready to play came and spray painted our building and poured chemicals on the field. They found out who it was and made them come clean it up.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post
    http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7236445

    (Personally, I think that's a very creative prank and the state police ought to worry about REAL crime! Hoppy)

    Um, ok, I'll let you go out there and get tackled onto a bunch of upright toothpicks. See what you say when the splinters are driven into your flesh by your weight, and that of your opponents. It isn't funny, and I hope they catch the person. IMO, that's some serious dislike, and I wonder what other subtle nasty things they have done.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    It's a very clever prank - so long as it remains in the imagination. Doing it for real - not funny. And spending that type of time - someone has a real problem.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    It's a very clever prank - so long as it remains in the imagination. Doing it for real - not funny. And spending that type of time - someone has a real problem.
    Exactly!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,667
    Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    Um, ok, I'll let you go out there and get tackled onto a bunch of upright toothpicks. See what you say when the splinters are driven into your flesh by your weight, and that of your opponents. It isn't funny, and I hope they catch the person. IMO, that's some serious dislike, and I wonder what other subtle nasty things they have done.

    Good grief! I didn't say they should have played the game on the field that way!

    Hoppy

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post
    Good grief! I didn't say they should have played the game on the field that way!

    Hoppy
    It came out more snippy towards you than I meant. But, it isn't funny, and someone really could have been hurt. It was upset that someone meant quite a few young guys such malice that gave that tone.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,667
    Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    It came out more snippy towards you than I meant. But, it isn't funny, and someone really could have been hurt. It was upset that someone meant quite a few young guys such malice that gave that tone.
    It was good that they didn't play on the field in that condition. I doubt that the pranksters thought beyond the creativity/cleverness of it to how it could hurt the players.

    Hoppy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2016, 11:19 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2016, 11:34 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-14-2015, 07:52 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 11:50 AM