655 users online (81 members and 574 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Falsely Accused Woman Freed After 70 Years

They were told by staff that their 85-year-old sister was deaf, could only communicate in writing and was very unlikely to remember them.

"A little old lady on walking sticks came in," said Alan. "She looked at us and cried out: 'Alan...David'. Then she put her arms around us. It was very emotional.

"I am sure that what has kept her going all these years was the challenge of proving to the authorities that she had a family. The trouble was, nobody would listen to her."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...9/nfree129.xml

(the moral is?)
    It's not what a man knows that makes him a fool, it's what he does know that ain't so. .... Josh Billings

...she has been moved from mental institution to mental institution. More recently, she went into a care home and has been lost to her family, who thought she was dead.
    I'm assuming the care home she recently lived in was a nursing home. Still yet, the woman was eventually found not guilty. How could she have been locked up for 70 years for stealing a few bucks when freakin drunk drivers and child molesters and spouse killers serve several months to only a few years?

I doubt her sentence would have been that harsh here in the states.
    What a waste of her precious life.
    Last edited by philamena; 10-21-2007 at 02:25 PM.

After the missing money was found, they still kept the young teen, sentencing her for lunacy. The article doesn't say whether she actually had any real mental issues or she had always been deaf and maybe couldn't communicate. Sounds like she was pretty sound of mind to be able to work at age 15 and to try and tell that she had a family, never forgetting them.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post

SNIP

Sounds like she was pretty sound of mind to be able to work at age 15 and to try and tell that she had a family, never forgetting them.
    Clearly
    It's not what a man knows that makes him a fool, it's what he does know that ain't so. .... Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    I'm assuming the care home she recently lived in was a nursing home. Still yet, the woman was eventually found not guilty. How could she have been locked up for 70 years for stealing a few bucks when freakin drunk drivers and child molesters and spouse killers serve several months to only a few years?

It sure was a waste..Poor lady..

This is a horrible case of injustice by a crooked system. Thank god this woman was alive by the time she found her family. God bless them. There are so many instinances like this that god on where authorities are to quick to lock someone away as crazy without listening to their half of the story. Makes you wonder exactly how many people are locked up innocent.

OMG, that is so, so terribly sad.

That poor woman. Her entire life spent in care homes, people thinking she either couldn't take care of herself or had no family to take her in. I am so happy for her and her family that they found each other again.

Lunacy Act, that's foul. This has to be one of the most bizarre stories I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post

OMG you are so right! I get so crazy when I see so many sickos get out of jail in 1 or so years and this poor person locked up for all that time for stealing!

Wow crazy!

How tragic! Even if she did steal the money I hardly think the punishment fit the crime in this case.

This is a good example of how are system works. Child molesters and killers dont get 70 years in prison. They are lucky to get 25 years. Something has to give in our system today!!!!!

This woman was locked up for stealing yet the kids who kidnapped and toutured the little boy in England are free. Was the little boy named James Bulger?

They robbed her of her whole life!!! How horrible.

wow!! That is really sad, all those years lost forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast