ME ME - Frances Moulton, 25, Springvale, July 2006

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
This is so weird: she's been gone more than a year and only NOW are they trying to locate her!

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/017530.html

October 22, 2007

Sanford police are seeking information about a 28-year-old Springvale woman last seen more than a year ago.

Frances Moulton has a history of leaving her Springvale home at 20 Allen St. for months at a time. But she’s been gone so long this time that police are asking the public to help them find her.

Police said Moulton was last seen in July 2006 getting on the back of a motorcycle. Relatives in Springvale and Belfast have not heard from her since then.

Moulton is white, 5 feet 3 inches and weighs 115 pounds. She has a 1-inch scar on her chin and a teardrop tattoo on her right ankle.
Police are asking anyone with information to call 207-608-9129.

pic

This case does seem unusual. I tried looking it up and there are several media outlets that have this exact same information. You'd think they would provide additional information, like who she was on the motorcycle with (guy, girl, black, white), did she happen to say if she was just going for an afternoon drive, or was she headed out of state to live.

Doesn't sound like anyone is looking all that hard for her if they can't even provide the basic information.

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/017530.html

Police seek information on missing woman

frances%20moulton.jpg

Sanford police are seeking information about a 28-year-old Springvale woman last seen more than a year ago.

Frances Moulton has a history of leaving her Springvale home at 20 Allen St. for months at a time. But she’s been gone so long this time that police are asking the public to help them find her.

Police said Moulton was last seen in July 2006 getting on the back of a motorcycle. Relatives in Springvale and Belfast have not heard from her since then.

Moulton is white, 5 feet 3 inches and weighs 115 pounds. She has a 1-inch scar on her chin and a teardrop tattoo on her right ankle.

Police are asking anyone with information to call 207-608-9129.

I'm currently in Maine and saw a sign documenting her missing status at the McDonalds and went to find information. According to signs around here, at the time of her disappearance, Moulton was living a transient lifestyle.

Sorry to bump this case, however this one jumped out at me being I'm vacationing with friends here for the time being and was hopeful on getting at WORST the search for Frances going further.

There's many possibilities here. If she was living a transient lifestyle, it's entirely possible she bolted for greener pastures, which is my utmost hope. However, I can't sink the feeling she fell in the wrong picture, and is yet undiscovered.

You know where I'd look for leads for this girl? Around the A.A. and N.A. meetings in the area. Not meaning that she'd be there right now, but just that she may be known to regulars there and may have been seen in another's company.

Just a thought. There is an extensive and very visible AA/NA program in the area and lots of people go in and out.

It's my understanding from the (limited) research I've done on this case that Moulton regularly left her home for long periods of time without telling others. They're probably just looking for her now because they just found out she's really a "missing" person. Green Hornet, did you have any luck with the NA/ AA angle?

Human remains found in Lebanon

The state Medical Examiner's Office will attempt to positively identify human remains found Tuesday in a well off Creamery Hill Road in Lebanon, according to state police.

The remains were recovered Tuesday afternoon by police, who were investigating the disappearance of Frances Moulton, who was 27 when she was reported missing in September 2006.

http://www.keepmecurrent.com/Community/story.cfm?storyID=66697

Using specialized equipment borrowed from the Connecticut state police, a Maine state police diver went back into a well near a home in Lebanon yesterday where human remains were found Tuesday. Authorites have been investigating the disappearance of Frances Moulton of Lebanon, who was last seen in July 2006.

Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland says the equipment allowed the diver to get deeper into the well. "We did recover some additional evidence, although we're not saying what that is," he told MPBN. "But we do term the day a success."

McCausland says today the state Medical Examiners Office begins the task of trying to identifying the remains. Moulton was 27 at the time of her disappearance.

http://www.mpbn.net/News/MaineHeadlineNews/tabid/968/ctl/ViewItem/mid/2905/ItemId/11099/Default.aspx

I wonder what led them to the well? They must have some idea of what happened/who's responsible. At least I hope so.

From article: http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090624/GJNEWS_01/706249968/0/FRONTPAGE

"This is not the first time police investigated the area for clues to Moulton's disappearance. Neighbors who gathered to watch Tuesday's spectacle — none of whom provided their names — said police searched wells and properties in the area before.

"A couple months ago they came looking in wells with flashlights and nothing came of it," said one woman.

Neighbors indicated there are wells on many properties on Creamery Hill Road.

Moulton was last known to reside in the Lebanon area and some neighbors said they were familiar with her. Many remembered fliers that were passed out with her picture on them following her disappearance. They also recalled that Moulton would spend time with people who used to live at 76 Creamery Hill Road. One woman said they would hold parties around bonfires late into the night. Neighbors also said Moulton used to associate with a man who lived down the road. He no longer lives there."

I saw in a comment for another article, a local claimed they had told the police who killed her, but nothing came of it.......

I am heartbroken over this news.

I was able to find out bits and pieces about Moulton over the last year prior to this, she was a really sweet girl who fell in with the wrong crowd and seemed to be putting it back together when she disappeared.

I was really and honestly hoping the news of her disappearance would have been her getting the hell out of Maine and starting over again. Alas, it wound up being the worst case scenario playing out.

Rest in Peace Frances.

From August 2011:

http://www.fosters.com/article/20110811/GJNEWS03/708119834

After the dismissal of murder charges for Robert Copley, Jr., in York County Superior Court last week, the status of the investigation into the murder of Springvale resident Frances Moulton is unknown.

Copley, who was arrested and charged with Moulton's murder in 2009, appeared in court on Wednesday, Aug. 3, to plead guilty to felony charges of hindering apprehension or prosecution, which claims he was protecting someone else when he confessed to the murder.

Prosecutors said they now believe Copley was present when Moulton was killed, but did not murder her, according to a report by the Portland Press Herald.

Maine State Police - Headquarters

MAINE STATE POLICE
UNSOLVED HOMICIDE

FRANCES MOULTON

LEBANON – Frances Moulton was 25 when her family last saw her getting onto the back of a motorcycle in July of 2006. She often left home for months at a time and was living a transient lifestyle in the Sanford area.

Her family reported her missing the following September.

On June 23rd, 2009, Frances’ body was found in a well in Lebanon.

If you have any information about the death of Frances Moulton, please contact the Maine State Police, Major Crimes Unit-South, 1 Game Farm Rd, Gray, ME 04039 or call them at 207-657-3030.

You also may report information about this crime using the leave-a-tip form.

State Police: Criminal Investigation & Forensics: Report a Crime

C7176AF1-20B4-4D85-AEE1-6D46AAFEB49A.jpeg

Maine State Police seek tips in Lebanon cold case | Journal Tribune

portland-press-herald_3565172-709x1024-208x300.jpg

The remains of Frances Moulton, 25, were found in a well in Lebanon in June 2009.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back