1023 users online (227 members and 796 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

SoCal fires continue thread 2

Continue here please

Quote Originally Posted by krisnine
    One of my co-workers just went through an apartment slide a couple weeks ago!
    Oh they must have lived in the Laguna Summit apts in Laguna Niguel with my boys.

Quote Originally Posted by nova
    I think Tom's Girl was asking about fire danger to your Yucaipa properties. As far as I know, Yucaipa is still upwind of the fires currently burning.
    Oh I just start yapping and then go off in my own world.
    I started out trying to make the distinction between houses "going up" (flammable with sticks in the air) and inventory houses, (those that are done.)
    But once I got going i forgot to answer the original question which you have now done.

News conference: the fire that started on the La Jolla reservation this morning has already grown to 3,000 acres and is establishing itself on Palomar Mountain.

Due to the decreased humidity even from yesterday, the "burnability factor" of all the fires is extremely high, making the fires more dangerous and harder to contain.

Oh, goodness, it just gets worse.
    Prayers to all the firefighters.

Watching those helicopers on Fox .........what heroes they are.
    So windy, smokey.........Amazing.....dippng into the water, heading out.
    Huggs for the Blackhawks.........

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Oh I just start yapping and then go off in my own world.
    I started out trying to make the distinction between houses "going up" (flammable with sticks in the air) and inventory houses, (those that are done.)
    But once I got going i forgot to answer the original question which you have now done.
    You are posting while driving, no? I'm very impressed (and concerned)!

An elderly person died this morning (I think at Escondido High School) when his assisted living facility had to evacuate, and they placed him in the gym with no air conditioning.

Two county hospitals have been evacuated.

I'll bet Love Mama's been evacuated- inland Del Mar and La Jolla are out of their homes.

Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Oh they must have lived in the Laguna Summit apts in Laguna Niguel with my boys.
    That's the one. I pass it every morning to and from work.

Nova!

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    You are posting while driving, no? I'm very impressed (and concerned)!
    No! of course I am not driving!

This is all so unusual. San Diego usually has some wildfires - but nothing like this. It's a combination of a huge lack of rainfall and dryer than usual weather, drying out all the underbrush, and a very unusual Santa Ana - lasting for multiple days (normally it's just one), and very strong. Put that together, and the slightest spark creates a wildfire.

The people who talk about why we live in a wildfire zone then get upset by fires - this normally isn't a wildfire zone. Santa Anas are pushing a normal little brushfire that normally would char some wild acres and be easily put out when it got to houses, into an enourmous conflaguration that cannot be stopped, moving fast, jumping 10 lane freeways, uncontrollable.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    That's the one. I pass it every morning to and from work.
    That's where 2 of my boys USED to live. Did your coworker get ripped off by the owners of the apts too? They promised my kids 28 days in a hotel and then pulled the rug after about 10.

Wildfire: The latest on the Santiago fire

<LI class=style6>A dozen firefighters had to use the protective fire shelters they carry with them after the fire charged toward them early this morning, fire officials announced. All 12 firefighters are OK and accounted for. - 12:27 p.m. <LI class=style6><LI class=style6> ocregister.com

from your link:

Firefighters expected no break from the winds fueling the fires until midday Thursday, said Harvey Johnson, deputy administrator for the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
    At least 17 wildfires have scorched about 425 square miles from north of Los Angeles to southeast of San Diego since the weekend. Three of those fires were added to the list Tuesday.
    Supervisor Ron Roberts said Tuesday about 1,000 homes have been destroyed in San Diego County alone.

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast