1156 users online (159 members and 997 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    1,666

    MI - Laura Dickinson, 22, raped & murdered, Ypsilanti, 13 Dec 2006

    http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...706090327/1026

    http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html

    Apparently Laura Dickinson an EMU student was raped and murdered in her dorm room at EMU in December. Her parents were not told that she died as a result of a violent sex crime but made the assumption that she had died of natural causes from a recently diagnosised heart condition. This story is just now hitting the MSM.. her parents are fighting to make sure that schools must report the cause of death to the parents. The campus/students were never told of the crime either while the perp walked free for over 2 months..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Yikes, we almost sent our daughter there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,205
    There's federal law requiring this stuff to be reported...

    I hope the parents really go after the school... how awful!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,766
    How sick and sneaky of EMU. Hopefully this story will be all over the news shows tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    374
    Yeah, the school officials who covered that up should be sent to jail since they conspired with a murderer in a way!!

    A totally shocking story as it was on CNN Anderson Cooper and Fox News Saturday.

  6. #6
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    University President Fired for Alleged Cover-Up of Student's Rape, Slay

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289407,00.html

    YPSILANTI, Mich. — The president of Eastern Michigan University was fired, months after top university officials were accused of covering up the rape and slaying of a student by publicly ruling out foul play.

    The president, John Fallon, confirmed that he was fired Sunday evening by a unanimous vote of the Board of Regents, The Ann Arbor News reported in its Monday editions. Board secretary Jackie Kurtz on Monday confirmed the firing to The Associated Press.

    Fallon told the newspaper that his termination letter was delivered Sunday night and did not state a reason for his firing. The letter said the board had voted unanimously to terminate his employment contract effective Sunday — two years after his five-year contract took effect.

    "As a citizen, I am disappointed in this hastily called meeting, without any opportunity to be present or to respond," Fallon told the newspaper. "I have a story to tell and intend to tell it."

    ~more at link~

  7. #7
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,285006,00.html

    and

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,285192,00.html

    Yesterday Douglas Kennedy reported on the situation at Eastern Michigan University in which a coed's murder was covered up by the university so thoroughly that the girl's father said he didn't even know he was burying a murder victim until two months after the funeral.

    Think about that. Your kid is murdered in her dorm room at college and the university president and his minions don't tell you — the parents — or the campus community and the reason is, well, there hasn't been much of a reason given actually.

    Now the cops knew they had a murder. They were looking for the killer. Why the facts around the death of Laura Dickinson didn't come out through the investigating police agency also has me a little baffled. But the university's role covering up the murder is clear. The university let it pass as a natural death. The president of the university, Dr. John Fallon, apologized and said he'd never let it happen again.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,374
    Glad that Fallon was fired--It was an outrageous cover-up--but I still don't understand why there was no security--This pig that committed this awful crime just waltzed on in at 4 in the morning

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    University President Fired for Alleged Cover-Up of Student's Rape, Slay

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289407,00.html

    YPSILANTI, Mich. The president of Eastern Michigan University was fired, months after top university officials were accused of covering up the rape and slaying of a student by publicly ruling out foul play.

    The president, John Fallon, confirmed that he was fired Sunday evening by a unanimous vote of the Board of Regents, The Ann Arbor News reported in its Monday editions. Board secretary Jackie Kurtz on Monday confirmed the firing to The Associated Press.

    Fallon told the newspaper that his termination letter was delivered Sunday night and did not state a reason for his firing. The letter said the board had voted unanimously to terminate his employment contract effective Sunday two years after his five-year contract took effect.

    "As a citizen, I am disappointed in this hastily called meeting, without any opportunity to be present or to respond," Fallon told the newspaper. "I have a story to tell and intend to tell it."


    ~more at link~

    Fallon - " I have a story to tell and intend to tell it."
    Well, he had a story to tell when this young woman was raped and murdered but didn't then. Guess he figures it matters now that he's in trouble.
    The actions of those in charge are unforgivable.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by opme View Post
    http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...706090327/1026

    http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html

    Apparently Laura Dickinson an EMU student was raped and murdered in her dorm room at EMU in December. Her parents were not told that she died as a result of a violent sex crime but made the assumption that she had died of natural causes from a recently diagnosised heart condition. This story is just now hitting the MSM.. her parents are fighting to make sure that schools must report the cause of death to the parents. The campus/students were never told of the crime either while the perp walked free for over 2 months..
    I'm not defending the university or its president.

    But, uh, huh?! The parents "made the assumption"?

    What the heck is that about? Your kid dies at college (not very common) and you don't investigate the cause of death thoroughly?

    I can see "making an assumption" when Grandpa dies at 97. But with a college kid?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I'm not defending the university or its president.

    But, uh, huh?! The parents "made the assumption"?

    What the heck is that about? Your kid dies at college (not very common) and you don't investigate the cause of death thoroughly?

    I can see "making an assumption" when Grandpa dies at 97. But with a college kid?
    I agree with you, Nova. The parents's reaction strikes me as odd.

    Of course, there can be no defense of the University's coverup, but if I was told that my young daughter had been found dead in her dorm room, I wouldn't assume a thing and they wouldn't be able to get rid of me until I had every detail I needed to have.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I'm not defending the university or its president.

    But, uh, huh?! The parents "made the assumption"?

    What the heck is that about? Your kid dies at college (not very common) and you don't investigate the cause of death thoroughly?

    I can see "making an assumption" when Grandpa dies at 97. But with a college kid?

    That is a little bizarre. If this were my child, I would want to know details. If I thought it was due to a medical condition, I think I would be asking the doctors a lot of questions about whether or not it could have been prevented, if there were warning signs that might help other people with this condition avoid the same cause of death, etc. And then, of course, the doctors would review the charts and realize that something is wrong with this picture.

    I cannot believe the police allowed the parents to be kept in the dark. While the few details I know indicate that this guy totally deserves to lose his job, he should have a whole line of other people behind him cleaning out their desks as well. Why is it just this one guy? Is he taking all of the blame for a huge coverup? I don't think one person has the power to hide a murder.

    This is bigger than that, and I'm glad the press has hold of it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I agree with you, Nova. The parents's reaction strikes me as odd.

    Of course, there can be no defense of the University's coverup, but if I was told that my young daughter had been found dead in her dorm room, I wouldn't assume a thing and they wouldn't be able to get rid of me until I had every detail I needed to have.
    It may be these parents did follow up and the single sentence to which I refer was just badly written. (Depending on their education level, it's also possible the parents were easily intimidated by college officials.)

    But I'm with you: were it my child, I'd be demanding every detail plus all official paperwork.

  14. #14
    i've been watching this trial on CTV this week....closing was today, & the jury was given instructions....hoping for a guilty verdict on Monday morning...Orange Taylor will kill someone else if he's let free...he walked into Laura Dickinson's dorm room, attacked her on her bed while she was asleep at 4:30 in the morning, took a tampon out of her, tossed it on the floor, raped her, then smothered her in the floor, THEN took her keys & locked the door when he left.....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,766
    I hope he's found guilty and given LWOP.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NOT GUILTY PA - Laura Ronning, 24, raped & murdered, Wayne County, 27 July 1991
    By Sleuthster in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2015, 12:04 PM
  2. GUILTY TX - Michelle Carrasco, 18, raped & murdered, San Antonio, 15 Aug 2006
    By White Rain in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2015, 08:02 PM
  3. GUILTY FL - Heather Romance, 2, raped & murdered, Lutz, 16 Aug 2006
    By SewingDeb in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 01:44 PM
  4. GUILTY LA - Sandra Adams, 51, raped & murdered, Metairie, 22 May 2006
    By Beyond Belief in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2015, 10:03 AM
  5. OH - Laura Skinner, 3, raped & murdered, Franklin County, Jan 1987
    By imthemom in forum Past Trial Discussion Threads
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 06:21 AM

Tags for this Thread