That's the spirit: Belief in ghosts high

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Those things that go bump in the night? About one-third of people believe they could be ghosts.

And nearly one out of four, 23 percent, say they've actually seen a ghost or felt its presence, finds a pre-Halloween poll by The Associated Press and Ipsos.

One is Misty Conrad, who says she fled her rented home in Syracuse, Ind., after her daughter began talking to an unseen girl named Nicole and neighbors said children had been murdered in the house. That was after the TV and lights began flicking on at night.

"It kind of creeped you out," Conrad, 40, of Hampton, Va., recalled this week. "I needed to get us out."

About one out of five people, 19 percent, say they accept the existence of spells or witchcraft. Nearly half, 48 percent, believe in extrasensory perception, or ESP.

The most likely candidates for ghostly visits include single people, Catholics and those who never attend religious services. By 31 percent to 18 percent, more liberals than conservatives report seeing a specter.

More at link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071026/ap_on_re_us/ghosts_ap_poll

Ok, we need a poll here...lol.

Here's something freaky. My brother walked in to my nephews room when he was about 2 and asked him who he was talking to, my nephew replied "Your Grandma" My brother said "You mean Gram? Mommy's mom?" and he said "No, you're Grandma, MeMa with the white hair. She comes and plays hide and seek with me, she doesn't need glasses anymore either"

MeMa died 2 years before my nephew was born. He'd never even seen pictures of her. We showed him a picture and he said "Yep, that's her"

I beleive that children and animals can see what we cannot. My friends husband was killed in a drag race 4 months before his son was born. She swears she walked into his room and he was sitting in front of the rocking chair (that was moving) and never turned around but said "Mommy, Daddy says to tell you he loves you and he's OK" Her son was 3 at the time.

My cousin's husband is a firefighter with strange hours. Her dog was barking wildly at the bed and her daughter said "Who's that man sitting on the bed"

Imagination or ghosts?

My Dad died 10 years ago. I was in my kitchen and I have a champagne glass full of colored marbles on the sill over my sink. I was overcome with a wave of sadness missing him and the champagne glass fell over. There was nothing near it. My Mom also says that before we took him off of life support, she felt a hand on her shoulder but no one else was in the room, that's when she knew it was time for us to let him go.

I believe!! My dad is with me all the time. Our house is also haunted and we have a photo of our ghost. Problem is, it is on BF cellphone and we cant upload it to puter. But as soon as we figure out how, I will post it. BF was not a believer until this happened.

Wow...these stories are very interesting. Something is going on in my house but I get a playful feeling from it rather than an evil feeling. No one else has experienced anything...just me.

My father died in February and I felt his presence surrounding me for exactly 6weeks, until my mother died and the feeling was gone. The feeling of him being there was a very positive feeling. Whatever is going on in my house has been going on for several years and seems unrelated to my parents.

One of my best friends houses was haunted when I was a kid. A girl that lived there before her hung herself in the basement.

We'd be down there watching movies and the lights would flicker and we'd see the outline of a rust colored shirt drift across the room. That's what the girl was wearing. I was never quite sure if I actually saw it or if it was her brother messing with us. LOL

My brothers and I used to have seaunces to contact our Sheep Dog that had died a few months earlier. I was about 8 at the time and had a canopy bed. We'd put my glass jewelry box on my bed, it had a metal lid on it with a small handle. We'd all hold hands and ask "Buffy, if you can hear us move the jewelry box, please Buffy, we want to know that you're OK where you are"
Well low and behold that freaking lid came off that jewelry box and hovered about 8 inches up in the air, I was off that bed and out of that room like my rear end was on fire. My brothers got in trouble for that one, they had tied fishing wire to the lid and ran it up through my canopy bed.

I was terrified! LOL

Here's something freaky. My brother walked in to my nephews room when he was about 2 and asked him who he was talking to, my nephew replied "Your Grandma" My brother said "You mean Gram? Mommy's mom?" and he said "No, you're Grandma, MeMa with the white hair. She comes and plays hide and seek with me, she doesn't need glasses anymore either"

MeMa died 2 years before my nephew was born. He'd never even seen pictures of her. We showed him a picture and he said "Yep, that's her"

I beleive that children and animals can see what we cannot. My friends husband was killed in a drag race 4 months before his son was born. She swears she walked into his room and he was sitting in front of the rocking chair (that was moving) and never turned around but said "Mommy, Daddy says to tell you he loves you and he's OK" Her son was 3 at the time.

My cousin's husband is a firefighter with strange hours. Her dog was barking wildly at the bed and her daughter said "Who's that man sitting on the bed"

Imagination or ghosts?

My Dad died 10 years ago. I was in my kitchen and I have a champagne glass full of colored marbles on the sill over my sink. I was overcome with a wave of sadness missing him and the champagne glass fell over. There was nothing near it. My Mom also says that before we took him off of life support, she felt a hand on her shoulder but no one else was in the room, that's when she knew it was time for us to let him go.

Wow. Amazing, Lurker. I have always believed but have not experienced a ghost. We have been telling some ghost stories in my classroom though (Halloween time), and my students have some doozies.

The only thing I experienced: I was in a desperate state of mind, trying to decide about my marriage (divorce?). I was curled up in bed one morning after the kids went to school, crying and praying for guidance. My phone rang, it was odd - an electric, erratic sounding ring. I answered "Hello?" and my friend said "Hello?" on the other end. She quickly said, "I am glad you called, I was just going to call you. I am going to come over, make some coffee. I will help you find a lawyer and anything else you need. You can't go on feeling like this." I said, "But I didn't call you!"

She described the ring as being strange sounding too. Neither of us dialed the phone. We have told people this story and they actually do NOT believe us. We just smile. We know it is true.

Eve

Wow. Amazing, Lurker. I have always believed but have not experienced a ghost. We have been telling some ghost stories in my classroom though (Halloween time), and my students have some doozies.

The only thing I experienced: I was in a desperate state of mind, trying to decide about my marriage (divorce?). I was curled up in bed one morning after the kids went to school, crying and praying for guidance. My phone rang, it was odd - an electric, erratic sounding ring. I answered "Hello?" and my friend said "Hello?" on the other end. She quickly said, "I am glad you called, I was just going to call you. I am going to come over, make some coffee. I will help you find a lawyer and anything else you need. You can't go on feeling like this." I said, "But I didn't call you!"

She described the ring as being strange sounding too. Neither of us dialed the phone. We have told people this story and they actually do NOT believe us. We just smile. We know it is true.

Eve

Freaky, sounds like "someone up above" knew you needed someone to talk to. Too cool!

I was driving down the highway going about 70 in the fast lane and I glanced down to change the radio station. For some reason I just slammed on my breaks. When I looked up the person in the lane next to me had drifted over, I swear it was my Dad that made me slam on the brakes. I didn't see it because I looking down. Maybe I did through peripheral vision but I choose to beleive it was my Dad watching over me. :angel:

I'm not a believer or a disbeliever. Personally I've never had first hand experience with ghosts/spirits or ESP or UFO's. I don't dismiss them as possible but I'm withholding judgment until I see more concrete proof.

Of the 3 I'd be most inclined to believe in UFO's. Seems like there must be more intelligent life than just us in the universe (although sometimes I wonder how intelligent we are-lol.)

Becca

I'm not a believer or a disbeliever. Personally I've never had first hand experience with ghosts/spirits or ESP or UFO's. I don't dismiss them as possible but I'm withholding judgment until I see more concrete proof.

Of the 3 I'd be most inclined to believe in UFO's. Seems like there must be more intelligent life than just us in the universe (although sometimes I wonder how intelligent we are-lol.)

Becca

That reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld when he said if there were aliens they probably think the dogs are the leaders since we follow behind them and pick up their doo. LOL!!!

The house I grew up in was always talked about as being haunted. In one of the bedrooms a lawyer had apparently died by accident, somehow. Well, later on when we had a German Shepherd, which was a very, very good guard dog and very mean when he had to be, he would NOT, under any circumstances, go anywhere near that same bedroom! You couldn't drag him there if you wanted to! That always freaked me out. Not sure what/who he sensed but it scared a normally fearless dog to death.

I grew up in a very very haunted house. Things only seemed to happen to me at this house. Then finally my mom was home and it happened with her there too. Things would fall, doorknobs all over would jiggle, just freaky stuff. No one has ever lasted in that house. I went by there last year and some people bought the house and the man said lots of crazy things happened to his wife and they sold it too.

Very cool thread! I'm loving these stories!

All I can say is BELIEVE!

There is so much more "out there" than our tiny little conformed
pea brains could ever fathom. The possibilities are endless!

I truly believe that the only reason children and animals can see or sense things differently than most adults is because they have not been conditioned not to. Our society teaches them to afraid or skeptical of what we can't understand, so eventually a child loses that magic. I will never, ever use the words "that's not possible" with my children...because it just may be!

Heh, would you believe me and GaGal are amateur ghost hunters? We got the basic equipment and go out to reported haunted places. Been doing it for almost a year now. We went to Waverly Hills in Kentucky twice this year. We hada blast walking the pitch black hallways there.

As far as a scary story? My Dad passed away almost 10 years ago. My Dad was very strict, but not dishonorable. I was talking with my brother on the phone about a year after he passed away. We were joking on how strict our Dad was and how he didn't play around in dishing out punishment. Suddenly, a glass shattered in my boy's bathroom tub in a thousand peices. No one recalls taking the glass in there. I told my brother "Heh, Dad doesn't like being talked about when he can't defend himself".

Heh, would you believe me and GaGal are amateur ghost hunters? We got the basic equipment and go out to reported haunted places. Been doing it for almost a year now. We went to Waverly Hills in Kentucky twice this year. We hada blast walking the pitch black hallways there.

As far as a scary story? My Dad passed away almost 10 years ago. My Dad was very strict, but not dishonorable. I was talking with my brother on the phone about a year after he passed away. We were joking on how strict our Dad was and how he didn't play around in dishing out punishment. Suddenly, a glass shattered in my boy's bathroom tub in a thousand peices. No one recalls taking the glass in there. I told my brother "Heh, Dad doesn't like being talked about when he can't defend himself".

Wow did you see anything at Waverly Hills. I am a Ghost Hunters fanatic on Sifi channel. They went to Waverly Hills once and it was pretty creepy. We have an old State mental hospital Bartonville state mental hospital just a few minutes from my house. When we were teens we would go mess around in their all the time, there are so many stories about that place. One story in particular was about a man they called bookbinder. Everytime someone would die he would go to the cemetary and sit under a tree and cry even though he didn't know them. When he died, all the staff including Dr. Zeller the founder himself came to see him buried because he had paid his respects to so many when noone else cared about them. Right as they were about to lay his body in the ground, they heard crying and everyone looked to see him crying under his crying tree. Dr. Zeller ordered the coffin to be opened and when they did he disappeared and there was his body still in the coffin. I have heard voices in that place that you can't understand but it sounds like they are right next to you. It is very creepy.

Oh yeah, I'm the GaGal that Gman mentioned. Hehe the nick was taken when I signed up here. Anyway. I loved going to the Waverly and am completely certain that there are things that we can't see. We got some very cool EVP's from Waverly, as well as alot of personal experiences. We're also going to the Eastern State Penn in May, which is where Al Capone was housed. I love this kind of stuff.

My grandmother passed away about 12 years ago and at least a couple of times a week, I smell her snuff. She used snuff (sorry if no one knows what it is, it was gross... lol) all the time. So I think she just lets me know that she's here.

One day, about 2 years after my uncle passed away, there were cigarette ashes on the door handle of my car and the faint smell of his cigarette smoke in the car. No one at my house smokes at all. And there was nothing missing in my car. (I have XM radio, and had left my purse in the car that night on accident) When things like this happen and there is no normal reason, it has to be Para-Normal, right?

While I don't discount the paranormal or supernatural, I think our imaginations can also "create" a number of experiences. We start seeing/hearing things that we wouldn't normally. Or things that we expect to see/hear because we are already scared.

Personally, I don't believed in ghosts, but there WAS a freaky thing that happened many years ago.

I was working a job selling advertising for several local rodeos. I was on the phone a lot doing follow-ups and such.

This particular day, I was talking to a prospective advertiser and I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling of sadness that I somehow KNEW had something to do with my Mother. I can't explain it and I've never told a soul about it until now.

I couldn't even finish the conversation. I excused myself and went home. I thought I was losing it.

When I got home, I layed down on the couch and our phone rang. It was my sister. Our Father had died. My Mother was with him when it happened...and he'd passed away right about the time I'd been talking to the client.

I've never had anything like that happen before or since , and I don't know what to make of it, except that maybe my Mother & I share a deeper bond than I once thought.

Both my sister and I knew the minute our mother died because we felt her spirit leave this world. And even though my sis lives 3000 miles away from me (and we weren't even on the phone talking to each other) we know it's true because it was the exact same minute for each of us.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back