1046 users online (200 members and 846 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,765

    NY - Mary Ann Powell, 21, pregnant, murdered, Halfmoon, 1 Oct 1994

    http://www.registerstar.com/articles...ews/news03.txt


    Check this out. Pregnant woman who was eventually found in a plastic bag full of rocks in the Hudson River.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,765
    http://www.hbo.com/autopsy/episode/e...well_case.html



    Another link regarding Mary Ann Powell

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New england
    Posts
    3,650
    maybe scott knew about the powell case and deciced that becuse it was done before he could prolly get away with it ex he might not be a suspect u know how when someone is killed and family is ruled out and thery think they have a suspect butr then something turns up and new leads bring in a suspect yet to be known, i duno if powells husband was charged in her murder

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885
    You would think the leading cause of death for pregnant women is complications with their pregnancy... but that is not so.

    Leading cause of death for pregnant women is murder.

    90% of the time the murder is the husband/boyfriend/father of the baby... the other 10 % is made up of parents/other relatives/strangers or santanic dudes in brown vans.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by smile22
    maybe scott knew about the powell case and deciced that becuse it was done before he could prolly get away with it ex he might not be a suspect u know how when someone is killed and family is ruled out and thery think they have a suspect butr then something turns up and new leads bring in a suspect yet to be known, i duno if powells husband was charged in her murder

    He was charged, tried and convicted of 2nd degree murder and is in prison.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885
    Wonder why it was 2nd degree? maybe there was a plea bargain?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,585
    Quote Originally Posted by smile22
    maybe scott knew about the powell case and deciced that becuse it was done before he could prolly get away with it ex he might not be a suspect u know how when someone is killed and family is ruled out and thery think they have a suspect butr then something turns up and new leads bring in a suspect yet to be known, i duno if powells husband was charged in her murder

    Hey Smiley!! You remind me of a one-liner I once knew!!!1

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    Wonder why it was 2nd degree? maybe there was a plea bargain?

    I seem to recall that in New York, First degree is reserved for the murder of a police officer or corrections official. Second can be what most states call first. I may be wrong about this though.. I'd have to research it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    You would think the leading cause of death for pregnant women is complications with their pregnancy... but that is not so.

    Leading cause of death for pregnant women is murder.

    90% of the time the murder is the husband/boyfriend/father of the baby... the other 10 % is made up of parents/other relatives/strangers or santanic dudes in brown vans.
    It only beats Heart Disease by 1%. (who'd have thought Heart Disease would be #2?)

    What is scary is that 20% of deaths in Pregnant women are due to murder, but only 6% of non-pregnant (child-bearing years) women, so obviously being pregnant ups your chances of getting murdered.
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Native Texan, In Germany
    Posts
    2,195
    Prayers for this family and for justice.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20,953
    From March 2014:

    http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...al-5303152.php

    An appeals court upheld the second murder conviction of Warren Powell whose first conviction for strangulating his pregnant wife, Mary Ann Powell in 1994, was overturned.

    Powell's first 1997 murder conviction was overturned by the Appellate Division of state Supreme Court in 2004, ruling there was an error in how the jury was picked. In April 2009, Powell was convicted at his second trial and ordered to served 25 years to life in prison. Powell is also serving 15 to 30 years on unrelated drug charges. The sentences are running consecutively.



Similar Threads

  1. OR OR - Wayne David Powell, 39, Roseburg, 18 June 1994
    By EdinburghLass in forum 1990's Missing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2016, 02:45 AM
  2. TX TX - Sloane Powell, 27, Fort Worth, 17 December 1994
    By sloane7777 in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-12-2016, 03:11 PM
  3. GUILTY NY - Isabelle Joye, 32, pregnant, raped & murdered, Harlem, NYC, 18 May 1994
    By Darkman00 in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2016, 06:11 PM
  4. GUILTY GA - Mary Garner, 81, & Curly Swan, 60, brutally murdered, Albany, 13 Dec 1994
    By mysteriew in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2015, 03:02 PM
  5. GUILTY PA - Mary Gency, 16, pregnant, raped & murdered, Charleroi, 13 Feb 1977
    By UdbCrzy2 in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 10:23 PM

Tags for this Thread