5 Yr Old Boy Killed While Playing On Train Tracks

White Rain

Reaction score
So sad...

WATAUGA, Texas — A 5-year-old boy playing on train tracks fell and then froze up when he heard a locomotive approaching, leaving him unable to move before the train struck and killed him, police said.
Kevin Bradford and two other boys had sneaked past their grandmother to look for dinosaur bones on Thursday, police said.
Workers aboard the Union Pacific train traveling through this small North Texas town saw the boys on the tracks but couldn't stop in time despite braking, Union Pacific spokesman Joe Arbona said.
Kevin's 7-year-old brother and 5-year-old cousin made it safely off the tracks and ran home. Kevin's foot got caught in the tracks and he fell, officials said. more at link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305642,00.html

How sad!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel such sadness for his parents and his brother and cousin that were with him. Hopefully, this event will not mentaly damage their psyche but maybe help in their growing up years to be more safety cautious.

I also live by railroad tracks and although my son is now 24, used to worry that he would go up by the tracks with his friends and that something would happen. Even though I had admonished them about going up there, it didn't mean they wouldn't.

Boys are so uncautious and find danger to be alluring, not understanding that it could very well be the end of their life.

This happened to a family in my hometown-they had a little girl with Downs who got out of their backyard and onto the railroad tracks...very sad.

kids can get away SO quickly...in the blink of an eye they can be gone.

It's horrible for the family but it's also horrible for the train crew that had to witness it. It's an awful, awful thing to know you're going to hit a child and be unable to stop it from happening. By the time they're close enough to see the person on the tracks it's too late to stop the train. I know several engineers who hit someone and one of them never could bring himself to go back to work-another had nightmares about it for years and ended up going to therapy for a long time.

It's a tragedy all around. I think sometimes we teach kids fire safety and what to do if they're lost or approached by a stranger but we neglect to teach them the danger of walking or playing on/near the railroad tracks. Kids love trains and especially with shows like Thomas on they don't realize the danger involved.

For teachers and parents on here Operation Lifesaver has some great resources on their web page to teach about railroad safety. There's a section with lesson plans and ideas under education resources and some do at home things in the for kids section. (http://www.oli.org/)

Becca

So sad. My son is so attracted to trains too. luck for me there are none near our house.

How awful. That poor family. Sending up prayers tonight for this little one and his family.

I can totally feel for this family..... GOD bless them and let them know that their son is with god and feels no pain just happiness and joy..... he must have been one very special child for god to take him so soon!

My prayers to the family....

I think it's the fact that kids don't know trains can't stop immediately. a car can come to a screetching halt in a matter of feet. But a train can take more than a quarter of a mile to stop.

My grandpa was a train engineer for BNSF for over 40 years. It would devastate him when he would hit someone. He wouldn't get out of bed for days. He has some awful stories about how he will always remember each person's face before the train hit them. He has had to testify several times at trial when the company was sued after an accident.

Railroad safety is so important! Because I grew up in a town where the sole industry was the railroad, we had seminars and things every year at school about safety. As far as I know, there has never been a single accident in my home town.

I feel so sorry for this boy's family. It's such a tragic thing to happen to him and to them.

It's horrible for the family but it's also horrible for the train crew that had to witness it. It's an awful, awful thing to know you're going to hit a child and be unable to stop it from happening. By the time they're close enough to see the person on the tracks it's too late to stop the train. I know several engineers who hit someone and one of them never could bring himself to go back to work-another had nightmares about it for years and ended up going to therapy for a long time.

It's a tragedy all around. I think sometimes we teach kids fire safety and what to do if they're lost or approached by a stranger but we neglect to teach them the danger of walking or playing on/near the railroad tracks. Kids love trains and especially with shows like Thomas on they don't realize the danger involved.

For teachers and parents on here Operation Lifesaver has some great resources on their web page to teach about railroad safety. There's a section with lesson plans and ideas under education resources and some do at home things in the for kids section. (http://www.oli.org/)

Becca

Thank you for the site, Becca. This is such an incredibly sad story. That poor little guy. Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vconners
Back