Hottest Chile Pepper Shatters Record

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Hottest Chile Pepper Shatters Record

Researchers at New Mexico State University have discovered the world’s hottest chili pepper. It's called the Bhut Jolokia, a variety originating in Assam, India.

In tests that yield Scoville heat units (SHUs), the Bhut Jolokia reached 1 million SHUs, almost double the SHUs of former hotshot Red Savina (a type of habanero pepper), which measured a mere 577,000. The result was announced today by the American Society for Horticultural Science.

Chili is spelled "chile" by some, including Paul Bosland, director of the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State’s Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences. Bosland collected seeds of Bhut Jolokia while visiting India in 2001. He grew the plants for three years to produce enough seeds to complete the field tests. "The name Bhut Jolokia translates as 'ghost chile,'" Bosland explained. "I think it’s because the chile is so hot, you give up the ghost when you eat it!"

The intense heat concentration of Bhut Jolokia could have a significant impact on the food industry as an economical seasoning in packaged foods, he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20071026/sc_livescience/hottestchilepeppershattersrecord

I thought I had read where any number of chile's blow habaneros away. I like hot food. I'm going to have to start cooking hot(ter) at home.
I like hot food too Buzz. The hotter the better!

I can't even barely eat mild wings at local restaurants.
I've heard hotter foods burn more calories...is this true?

I'm the only female in my office and the guys dared me to take a bite of a really HOT habanero pepper the other day at lunch. I never could turn down a reasonable dare and since I'm new, I wanted to gain their respect. I stood in front of them and chewed until I couldn't stand it anymore, but I never let them see me sweat. I even yelled at them that they were a buncha wimps as I left the room. I got back to my office and guzzled down two 20 oz. Cokes in rapid succession and I thought I was DYING. My tummy burned for a couple hours afterward and I never thought my mouth would stop burning. The guys gave me a round of applause as I left for the day.....LOL. :woohoo:

I'm the only female in my office and the guys dared me to take a bite of a really HOT habanero pepper the other day at lunch. I never could turn down a reasonable dare and since I'm new, I wanted to gain their respect. I stood in front of them and chewed until I couldn't stand it anymore, but I never let them see me sweat. I even yelled at them that they were a buncha wimps as I left the room. I got back to my office and guzzled down two 20 oz. Cokes in rapid succession and I thought I was DYING. My tummy burned for a couple hours afterward and I never thought my mouth would stop burning. The guys gave me a round of applause as I left for the day.....LOL. :woohoo:
I have done that EXACT thing EL. No one was fooled as there was so much sweat running down my face lol.

My family has cast iron stomaches and adore hot stuff. I do okay with a bit of heat but I don't like to sweat lol

FYI, milk and/or bread stops your mouth from burning.

el, now if you can only get that proverbial hair on your chest to stop growing, lol; you did good!!

My family has cast iron stomaches and adore hot stuff. I do okay with a bit of heat but I don't like to sweat lol

FYI, milk and/or bread stops your mouth from burning.
Sour cream works great. That's the only reason I order it with my Mexican food.I don't even like it. lol
Water seems to work like an accelerant.

Mmmmm - habanero's! I like their flavor, as well as the heat they bring. I should make some salsa again soon - used to make some insanely good salsa with habaneros. Only one for guests, more for me.

Way to go englishleigh. Don't worry - they don't do anything bad to you that's been found yet. I was wondering if they took out my gallbladder (it reacts to fatty and spicy foods, and I continually eat very spicy food), but the doctor says no. They do burn calories, help with colds, and several other positive effects.

Sugar, starches tend to kill the fire. Plain tortilla chips work well.

I saw the title, "Hottest Chili Pepper Shatters . . ." and thought it was going to be a thread about how the hottest member of that group, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, was going to get married and shatter a bunch of hearts. Couldn't imagine which one was supposed to be the hottest -- surely not that one that sings in baby talk.

I love hot, spicy foods -- they hurt so good!

Hay I love the chili peppers I used to think Anthony Kedis(SP) was hot my friend liked Flea the best.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back