694 users online (89 members and 605 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

6 USC Students killed in fire

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21515058/

What a sad day for their families and friends. This just breaks my heart.

S_finch
    Loyal Gamecock

Thats tragic, prayers for the family and friends of the deceased.

7th student who died was at Clemson. Very, very sad.

My nephew is pledged at the same fraternity but in a different school.

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    OMG how awful!!! Praying for the families involved!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    7th student who died was at Clemson. Very, very sad.

My nephew is pledged at the same fraternity but in a different school.
    I agree, terribly sad. Tri-delt is a very socially elite sorority in the South, the "creame de la creame" pretty much. SAE is a pretty top class fraternity too,,,,this will have such an impact and with the connections I'm thinking there will be lawsuits. So sad.

Prayers to those who lost friends and loved ones.
    My daughters have friends who rent beach cottages there throughout the year. No one dreams that something like this tragedy will happen. ;(

OMG!!! This is just awful!!! I graduated from USC, and was a member of Tri Delta sorority!!

What a nightmare! My heart breaks for the families of these kids. I do not even want to imagine getting that phone call.

Prayers for all involved. It will take a long time for those who survived to get those images out of their heads.

My heart breaks for these poor children, taken in such a horrific way. I extend my my sincere condolencies to all family and friends and may God grant them strength at this sad time.We extend our deepest condolences to the Douglas family. May God grant you strength in this time of loss

What a tragic situation. I wonder if a lit cigarette started the fire. My husband was born and raised in SC and graduated from Clemson.

Prayers are with the family and friends of these young kids.

What a terrible situation. Those kids were just starting their lives. This is so sad!!! My prayers go out to these families and friends!!!

Still no cause yet? I was thinking candles or cigarettes.

This has to be devastating to all friends and family.

Some news groups are reporting that it is thought that the fire started on the deck. I guess if that is so, the outside was engulfed first and explains why only the interior supports are left. Maybe by the time a smoke detector went off it was hard to find an exit. I'm thinking maybe they had one of those chimeas going on the deck, it was cool saturday night, and somehow that ignited something early sunday morning.

that was my first thought,,,, that 99.9% odds say it was a stupid cigarette. smoking is evil, just evil. i can't even comprehend how much death and desctruction it causes. and people have these bad habits where they flick their ashes in a trash can, or they just fling the lit cigarette anywhere... everytime i see that i cringe. major fires start this way... and yes people die.
    i've always wished that as part of non-smoking campaigns, they would include not only health issues/cancer but also fires/loss of life & property from fires.

also no mention as to whether there were smoke detectors or not? the shape of the house seems to favor a fire overtaking it very quickly.. and i guess it was all wood too, which also helped... is there no fire code for beach houses?

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    that was my first thought,,,, that 99.9% odds say it was a stupid cigarette. smoking is evil, just evil. i can't even comprehend how much death and desctruction it causes. and people have these bad habits where they flick their ashes in a trash can, or they just fling the lit cigarette anywhere... everytime i see that i cringe. major fires start this way... and yes people die.
    i've always wished that as part of non-smoking campaigns, they would include not only health issues/cancer but also fires/loss of life & property from fires.

also no mention as to whether there were smoke detectors or not? the shape of the house seems to favor a fire overtaking it very quickly.. and i guess it was all wood too, which also helped... is there no fire code for beach houses?
    Lots of code for beach houses and it's been reported there were working smoke detectors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast