6 USC Students killed in fire

Thats tragic, prayers for the family and friends of the deceased.

7th student who died was at Clemson. Very, very sad.

My nephew is pledged at the same fraternity but in a different school.

OMG how awful!!! Praying for the families involved!

7th student who died was at Clemson. Very, very sad.

My nephew is pledged at the same fraternity but in a different school.

I agree, terribly sad. Tri-delt is a very socially elite sorority in the South, the "creame de la creame" pretty much. SAE is a pretty top class fraternity too,,,,this will have such an impact and with the connections I'm thinking there will be lawsuits. So sad.

Prayers to those who lost friends and loved ones.
My daughters have friends who rent beach cottages there throughout the year. No one dreams that something like this tragedy will happen. ;(

OMG!!! This is just awful!!! I graduated from USC, and was a member of Tri Delta sorority!!

What a nightmare! My heart breaks for the families of these kids. I do not even want to imagine getting that phone call. :(

Prayers for all involved. It will take a long time for those who survived to get those images out of their heads.

:( :( :(

My heart breaks for these poor children, taken in such a horrific way. I extend my my sincere condolencies to all family and friends and may God grant them strength at this sad time.We extend our deepest condolences to the Douglas family. May God grant you strength in this time of loss

What a tragic situation. I wonder if a lit cigarette started the fire. :( My husband was born and raised in SC and graduated from Clemson.

Prayers are with the family and friends of these young kids.

What a terrible situation. Those kids were just starting their lives. This is so sad!!! My prayers go out to these families and friends!!!

Still no cause yet? I was thinking candles or cigarettes.

This has to be devastating to all friends and family.

Some news groups are reporting that it is thought that the fire started on the deck. I guess if that is so, the outside was engulfed first and explains why only the interior supports are left. Maybe by the time a smoke detector went off it was hard to find an exit. I'm thinking maybe they had one of those chimeas going on the deck, it was cool saturday night, and somehow that ignited something early sunday morning.

that was my first thought,,,, that 99.9% odds say it was a stupid cigarette. smoking is evil, just evil. i can't even comprehend how much death and desctruction it causes. and people have these bad habits where they flick their ashes in a trash can, or they just fling the lit cigarette anywhere... everytime i see that i cringe. major fires start this way... and yes people die.
i've always wished that as part of non-smoking campaigns, they would include not only health issues/cancer but also fires/loss of life & property from fires.

also no mention as to whether there were smoke detectors or not? the shape of the house seems to favor a fire overtaking it very quickly.. and i guess it was all wood too, which also helped... is there no fire code for beach houses?

that was my first thought,,,, that 99.9% odds say it was a stupid cigarette. smoking is evil, just evil. i can't even comprehend how much death and desctruction it causes. and people have these bad habits where they flick their ashes in a trash can, or they just fling the lit cigarette anywhere... everytime i see that i cringe. major fires start this way... and yes people die.
i've always wished that as part of non-smoking campaigns, they would include not only health issues/cancer but also fires/loss of life & property from fires.

also no mention as to whether there were smoke detectors or not? the shape of the house seems to favor a fire overtaking it very quickly.. and i guess it was all wood too, which also helped... is there no fire code for beach houses?

Lots of code for beach houses and it's been reported there were working smoke detectors.

OK.. so it must have just been an issue of the fire going up too fast, and they had difficulty getting out due to the shape of the house, location of exits, etc..? well.. i suppose the survivors will be able to shed some light on what happened... but if there were working smoke dtectors and everything was up to code,, how would there be a lawsuit?

Medical examiner: Students' identities could take days after fire

Oct 29, 2007 12:36 PM EDT

OCEAN ISLE BEACH, N.C. (AP) - The medical examiner in Chapel Hill, NC says it could take days to officially identify the six USC students and one Clemson student killed when their beach house caught fire Sunday morning.

The mayor of Ocean Isle Beach says investigators have told her a fire that killed seven college students started on a deck facing a canal on the west side of the charred house.

Mayor Debbie Smith says investigators think the fire was an accident. She says investigators may not be able to determine what started the blaze. That side of the building appeared to have suffered the most damage.

USC Vice President for Student Affairs Dennis Pruitt says 13 students were involved in the Ocean Island, NC fire, and 12 of them were from USC. Six of the dead were USC students, and a seventh student killed attended Clemson University.

Brunswick Community Hospital spokeswoman Amy Meyers says the hospital treated and released six people from the fire, including one who jumped out of the house into the water. Pruitt later said the injured were all USC students.

WIS News 10 spoke to Rick Wylie of Greenville, who said his son Tripp, who graduated from J.L. Mann High School, was the student who jumped out of the burning house.

More at link...

What a tragic situation. I wonder if a lit cigarette started the fire. :( My husband was born and raised in SC and graduated from Clemson.

Prayers are with the family and friends of these young kids.

When I was looking at pics something caught my attention. If you look at pics of the house you can see a chiminea near the first floor porch under the deck by some green chairs.

My prayers to the families affected by the horrible tragedy.

ETA:Here are links to the pictures I am talking about

http://www.charlotte.com/580/gallery/338952-a338890-t3.html

http://www.charlotte.com/580/gallery/338952-a338888-t3.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member