MN - Katherine Olson, 24, dies in Craigslist killing, Savage, 25 Oct 2007

I justr want to know why..............................why do people kill for no reason :mad:

While the article pointed out that Craigslist and other sites like it aren't the problem, I don't think personal safety issues are keeping up with the gains that the internet is making into people's lives. Our sisters, daughters and friends MUST learn to be aware that the people on the other end of the e-mail, ad, MySpace page, etc. aren't who they say they are.

For all the help it's supposed to do, Craigslist is acquiring a bad reputation for fraud, etc. Here in southern CA there was a recent scam where homes that were advertised for sale on the site were stripped of everything of value- cabinets, doors, kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, etc.

What a sin. Such a promising future. Have to say though this makes me think back to shades of the classifieds. We were taught to never place one and to never, ever answer one unless someone else was with us and that yet another person knew where we were going, and there was a time limit. Bless her family. This is just so sad.

Has this case been discussed on the cable news shows? If so I missed it. How sad....young women should never answer any type of ad like this alone.

While the article pointed out that Craigslist and other sites like it aren't the problem, I don't think personal safety issues are keeping up with the gains that the internet is making into people's lives. Our sisters, daughters and friends MUST learn to be aware that the people on the other end of the e-mail, ad, MySpace page, etc. aren't who they say they are.

For all the help it's supposed to do, Craigslist is acquiring a bad reputation for fraud, etc. Here in southern CA there was a recent scam where homes that were advertised for sale on the site were stripped of everything of value- cabinets, doors, kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, etc.[/quote]

I like Craigslist. I think if anyone was stupid enough to buy a house on the merit of Craigslist alone, without involving a Realtor or investigating via home inspections probably deserves to have it stripped of everything of value. I mean, not REALLY, but how can that happen if someone is going about purchasing a home in a responsible manner and using agents, title companies, home inspectors, etc. etc.??

People shoud be smart about it. This story is a shame. I hope he rots.

my friend is trying to sell her home FSBO on craigslist. its free. sure, there are other sites... but its an option.
i am surprised there isn't more crime out there with craiglist being involved, especially as much as craigslist is used for casual sex and anonymous sex. that is scary stuff... just meeting people you don't know for that purpose. that's how serial killers could TOTALLY get their prey! and she wasn't even doing that... she was answering a JOB ad there - not dating or personals ad!

For all the help it's supposed to do, Craigslist is acquiring a bad reputation for fraud, etc. Here in southern CA there was a recent scam where homes that were advertised for sale on the site were stripped of everything of value- cabinets, doors, kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, etc.[/quote]

I like Craigslist. I think if anyone was stupid enough to buy a house on the merit of Craigslist alone, without involving a Realtor or investigating via home inspections probably deserves to have it stripped of everything of value. I mean, not REALLY, but how can that happen if someone is going about purchasing a home in a responsible manner and using agents, title companies, home inspectors, etc. etc.??

People shoud be smart about it. This story is a shame. I hope he rots.

It wasn't the buyer or seller. Unscrupulous people would look up homes for sale on Craigslist, and if they were sitting vacant, they'd break in and strip them.

More here: Charges in nanny-ad slaying possible today

snip....Steve McCutchan, 20, said authorities questioned him Saturday about the suspect. Authorities told him the suspect was arrested in the death of Katherine Ann Olson, but didn't specify his role, McCutchan said.

For all the help it's supposed to do, Craigslist is acquiring a bad reputation for fraud, etc. Here in southern CA there was a recent scam where homes that were advertised for sale on the site were stripped of everything of value- cabinets, doors, kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, etc.

Amen to that, Calikid.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, homes are also burglarized during funeral services because the details (time/date etc) are in the newspaper for all to see. It's a shame that you have to be wary of publishing any information about yourself or your family anywhere....

I think Craigslist is a dangerous. There are tons of personals on there for casual encounters. I wonder how many people have been robbed from trying to go on a casual encounter.

on top of that, alot of those same type of ads have pictures that display nudity. Not that I'm a prude, but they should be regulated so children can't get to it.

Lonely hearts clubs and swinger's clubs are just as dangerous, and existed pre-internet. Life is dangerous, which is why the wise are wary at times.

I still can't get over his age though. 19 yrs old. Seems like they are getting younger and younger.

They do seem like they are getting younger and younger. What a terrible thing, she sounds like such a wonderful person. Killed by some mental case that just wanted a thrill sick...sick...sick.

I justr want to know why..............................why do people kill for no reason :mad:

I don't think they do. It's just that their "reasons" are so alien to us they seem like no reasons at all.

I think Craigslist is a dangerous. There are tons of personals on there for casual encounters. I wonder how many people have been robbed from trying to go on a casual encounter.

on top of that, alot of those same type of ads have pictures that display nudity. Not that I'm a prude, but they should be regulated so children can't get to it.

yup. i decided to go on here and read them for my little po dunk town and i was SHOCKED!! and there is absolutely no regulation.

ugh. every time i look at this jerks picture i want to smack him. after i give him a haircut and pop that huge zit on his face. YUCK. he just looks like a GROSS person.

This is really sad. She seemed like a really sweet person. :-(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back