Dogs Shoot Hunter by stepping on gun

believe09

Reaction score
This one goes into the "Uh-huh" pile...grin

http://www.kcci.com/news/14441475/detail.html

"TAMA, Iowa --
A Tama man was injured when hunting dogs stepped on his gun.Officials with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources said James Harris, 37, was pheasant hunting with a group about three miles north of Grinnell when the accident happened.Officials said the group had shot a bird and when Harris went to retrieve it, he put his gun on the ground and crossed a fence. As he crossed the fence, hunting dogs stepped on his gun causing it to fire. Harris was shot in the lower left leg. He was treated at Grinnell Medical Center and later transferred by helicopter to University Hospitals in Iowa City. His condition has not been released.The investigation is continuing."

I swear this happens at least once a year! At least this wasn't fatal.

ahahaha--nice to see he got shot--I can't stand hunters,they're a bunch of sadistic creeps

ahahaha--nice to see he got shot--I can't stand hunters,they're a bunch of sadistic creeps

yep, my Dad lives out in th country, he dreads hunting season.

Have another friend who used to live in Ky and he said EVERY yr they'd get liquored up and theyd have shooting accidents.

Did you see the movie My Cousin Vinnie? I loved the scene with Marissa Tormei where shes telling Vinnie : How can you shoot the little dee-ah? lol

Have a guy in my neighborhood who hunts, keeps a bunch of hunting dogs in a pen, they never get to leave it, only to hunt. I couldnt treat my dog like that, he lives in the house and part of MY family.

I think hunting is so horrible too. If you had to do it to eat and survive I could understand but to do it just for fun is wrong.

Hunter here! Sadistic? How about enjoying that gentleman being shot, that is sadistic. I was a Firefighter/E.M.T. for 10 years so being sadistic is not in this hunter's thoughts.

Ahh..The "liquored up" fable. None of the people I hunt with drinks in the field, none of my friends do, I'll be honest, I don't know anybody that does. They do when they come in from the field & stop at the local watering hole. I have hunted for 40 years & have heard of just a few hunting accidents. None by liquor. Ask your state police, how many people killed by DUI & how many by "liquored up" hunters.

We don't "hunt for fun". We do enjoy the hunt. Very big difference. Being outdoors & in the fields with your friends & fellow hunters is very enjoyable. Hunting with my two sons is one of my best times of the year. Being around the camp fire & telling stories (lies) is never better than when you are hunting. Note that I didn't mention "killing" anything yet. Yes, we do kill deer & other wild game. We just are not red eyed drooling while we are doing it. That's what most non-hunters think the "sport" of hunting is. You have never been so wrong.

Let us chat about $$$$. Do you know how large an industry that caters to hunters & other sportsmen really is? $30 billion & 1,000,000 jobs. Let's play make believe & all hunting, shooting, etc. are now banned. How do you plan on helping the economy & workers recover from a huge hit like that? Hunters and fishermen fund nearly 75% of the annual income for all 50 state conservation agencies. Through license fees and excise taxes on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute $200 million per year for wildlife conservation. (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service) That is going to make enjoying the outdoors by non-hunters basicly nonexistant. No state parks, no camping, no backpacking, cycling, rock climbing, etc. & so on.

Ask the next farmer you see about the overpopulation of deer & what it means to them from the crop damage deer create. Ask any insurance agent what they think about hunting & the overpopulation of deer. Check with them on how bad the deer versus vehicle costs keep rising every year. Maybe if you're lucky & they will pay for a firearm. Basically, hunters are the best conservation tools that all state's Department of Natural Resources have. Hunters have been and continue to be among the foremost supporters of sound wildlife management and conservation practices in the United States.

I'm a hunter & I'm proud to be one. Be nice & I'll give you the "JimmyBurger" recipe. The neighbors look forward to that coming the next BBQ season.

There is so much more.

Hunter here! Sadistic? How about enjoying that gentleman being shot, that is sadistic. I was a Firefighter/E.M.T. for 10 years so being sadistic is not in this hunter's thoughts.

Ahh..The "liquored up" fable. None of the people I hunt with drinks in the field, none of my friends do, I'll be honest, I don't know anybody that does. They do when they come in from the field & stop at the local watering hole. I have hunted for 40 years & have heard of just a few hunting accidents. None by liquor. Ask your state police, how many people killed by DUI & how many by "liquored up" hunters.

We don't "hunt for fun". We do enjoy the hunt. Very big difference. Being outdoors & in the fields with your friends & fellow hunters is very enjoyable. Hunting with my two sons is one of my best times of the year. Being around the camp fire & telling stories (lies) is never better than when you are hunting. Note that I didn't mention "killing" anything yet. Yes, we do kill deer & other wild game. We just are not red eyed drooling while we are doing it. That's what most non-hunters think the "sport" of hunting is. You have never been so wrong.

Let us chat about $$$$. Do you know how large an industry that caters to hunters & other sportsmen really is? $30 billion & 1,000,000 jobs. Let's play make believe & all hunting, shooting, etc. are now banned. How do you plan on helping the economy & workers recover from a huge hit like that? Hunters and fishermen fund nearly 75% of the annual income for all 50 state conservation agencies. Through license fees and excise taxes on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute $200 million per year for wildlife conservation. (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service) That is going to make enjoying the outdoors by non-hunters basicly nonexistant. No state parks, no camping, no backpacking, cycling, rock climbing, etc. & so on.

Ask the next farmer you see about the overpopulation of deer & what it means to them from the crop damage deer create. Ask any insurance agent what they think about hunting & the overpopulation of deer. Check with them on how bad the deer versus vehicle costs keep rising every year. Maybe if you're lucky & they will pay for a firearm. Basically, hunters are the best conservation tools that all state's Department of Natural Resources have. Hunters have been and continue to be among the foremost supporters of sound wildlife management and conservation practices in the United States.

I'm a hunter & I'm proud to be one. Be nice & I'll give you the "JimmyBurger" recipe. The neighbors look forward to that coming the next BBQ season.

There is so much more.

I've seen the effects of an overpopulation of deer when they have no other natural predator. Not only do the deer suffer greatly but the entire ecosystem starts to collapse. I don't hunt but I understand the need for it. Sport hunting I don't like, though.

The same thing happens here with our roos.....during our droughts many have to be culled to stop them dying a slow death from starvation..they are also regulary shot now to end up on the dinner table:sick:

true, I dont get the "sport" of hunting.

I couldn't do it unless the corner grocery store stopped making meat look like it never had a face.

A few seasons ago, I was driving home (I live in the woods) and a family of hunters were just entering the woods 200 or so yards down on the left side of the road - still hitching up their guns to their backs and settling in for the walk down the trail. As I glanced to my right, I saw a family of DEER just deep enough in the woods to see the hunters, but not be seen. The deer were WATCHING the hunters go the wrong direction!

My daughter and I snickered and laughed the rest of the drive home, and never alerted the hunters. It was comical to see.

I know hunters, and I prefer not to think about it - but I don't get angry at them for their sport. I hunt too - I just use a digital camera instead of a gun. :)

I saw a show once and a boy put another man's hand on a deer the other man had just shot. He could feel all of the physical and emotional pain of the deer. Now I am not one to say that "the dog" is attuned to his fellow animals, but this seems to be happening more often. Are the dogs getting smarter in the intention of what the "hunter" is going to do to his fellow animals, or are the humans just "not educated" enough to know that, you know, a dog may step on a gun left lying around.

Thank goodness our great ancestors didn't mind hunting. If they didn't hunt we wouldn't be here to talk about this today. Mcdonalds burger= dead cow, outback steak=dead cow, venison=dead deer. I'd just assume have something shot in the wild fed from nature as I would something fed growth horomones and slaughtered. Many people have been fed from hunters.

I couldn't do it unless the corner grocery store stopped making meat look like it never had a face.

A few seasons ago, I was driving home (I live in the woods) and a family of hunters were just entering the woods 200 or so yards down on the left side of the road - still hitching up their guns to their backs and settling in for the walk down the trail. As I glanced to my right, I saw a family of DEER just deep enough in the woods to see the hunters, but not be seen. The deer were WATCHING the hunters go the wrong direction!

My daughter and I snickered and laughed the rest of the drive home, and never alerted the hunters. It was comical to see.

I know hunters, and I prefer not to think about it - but I don't get angry at them for their sport. I hunt too - I just use a digital camera instead of a gun. :)

Oh, does that happen! Man ceases to be the top intelligence once he enters the woods. I'm glad you & your daughter got to see that, it's pretty funny. Hunting with a camera is excellent. A lot of us older hunters bring our cameras into the woods with us. It's so beautiful, plus just watching the wildlife around you is rewarding. You never know what picture might make itself available. Squirrels are the clowns of the woods. I've had them come right up to me & then they freeze. It's like they know they have goofed up & aren't sure what to do next. I just move my boot & they run for cover. Deer sneaking past hunters, I'm glad that has never happe.........

I saw a show once and a boy put another man's hand on a deer the other man had just shot. He could feel all of the physical and emotional pain of the deer. Now I am not one to say that "the dog" is attuned to his fellow animals, but this seems to be happening more often. Are the dogs getting smarter in the intention of what the "hunter" is going to do to his fellow animals, or are the humans just "not educated" enough to know that, you know, a dog may step on a gun left lying around.

I love dogs & they are usually much more "educated" than their owners. The boy & the hand story was in a movie or a TV show. It definitely wasn't reality. I'm plenty "educated", I just don't leave a firearm laying anywhere with a live round in it. It's the law of my state Illinois & the rule of most all (hunters) who hunt; ammo out & the firearm is in the case before entering any vehicle. Doesn't take much education to understand that. That "hunter" was definitely "uneducated" in firearm safety. He paid for it.

JP, I would like to say sorry if I offened you in any way. Seems you are one of the good hunters, if that makes sense.

IMO some hunting is good, if it is for food. But when some go out to just kill things for fun, NO WAY! Do ya'll know there are places that raise deer to be people friendly, they put them INSIDE a fence for hunters. Deers by nature are scared of humans, but these are raised to feel like humans are good. These deers will walk right up to the hunters and the hunters will shot them. IMO that is so wrong in many ways. Before I became preggo I was trying to stop eating all meat, very hard let me tell you. But it is things like the story I just told that makes me not want to eat it. My stepdad hunts deer every year. He does it for the meat but in a way I think he does it for sport as well. You go into his house and all over the walls are deer heads, it just grosses me out in so many differant ways.

I totally understand overpopulation but IMO we are not leaving wildlife any options. We keep building up their land and running them out of their homes. Makes me sad. I keep saying that we need at least one full state dedicated just to wildlife. I know it will never happen but at the rate we are going are there going to be much wildlife left for our children to see? And no I am not no PETA person, I just love wildlife.

Oh, does that happen! Man ceases to be the top intelligence once he enters the woods. I'm glad you & your daughter got to see that, it's pretty funny. Hunting with a camera is excellent. A lot of us older hunters bring our cameras into the woods with us. It's so beautiful, plus just watching the wildlife around you is rewarding. You never know what picture might make itself available. Squirrels are the clowns of the woods. I've had them come right up to me & then they freeze. It's like they know they have goofed up & aren't sure what to do next. I just move my boot & they run for cover. Deer sneaking past hunters, I'm glad that has never happe.........

I had a very bewildered dog once when a squirrel did that freeze thing! He'd chased them for years and one day this one just stopped short! My dog stopped so short he threw his back out and had to be taken to the vet! I know it's not funny, or at least for the dog it wasn't - but it was hilarious on one hand! My favorite are the lizards that think you can't see them if they hold still or rock back and forth like a leaf.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back