GA - Tony Powell, 39, hit in head with tent pole, dies, Augusta, 23 Oct 2007

White Rain

Reaction score
What is wrong with kids these days? My dad used to wear me out with the belt and I would have NEVER considered doing anything like this.

AUGUSTA, Ga. — Two teens could face murder charges after one of them threw a metal tent pole at their father's head, fatally injuring him.
Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten says 39-year-old Tony Powell Sr. of Augusta died Monday at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital. Powell had been undergoing treatment there since the Oct. 23 incident.
Sheriff's Investigator Tom Johnson says the 15- and 16-year-old sons got into a confrontation with Powell over his drinking and drug use. When the father attempted to drive away, Johnson says, the older son threw the pole through the open window of his father's vehicle, hitting him in the head. more at link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,306206,00.html

So the two brothers were confronting the Dad about his drug and alcohol abuse? I don't see how both boys threw the pole.

Good question- the older one threw the pole, so why is the younger being charged?

the older son threw the pole through the open window of his father's vehicle, hitting him in the head. more at link

Makes no sense to me. If both boys were confronting their father about his drinking and drug use that's one thing, but the article clearly says that the oldest boy threw the pole. I don't see how the youngest can be charged with murder.

What if the pole truly wasn't suppose to hit the dad? What if it was suppose to scare him?
What if the dad was a drunk who abused his sons and they were trying to defend themselves?
What if they were trying to keep him from driving while intoxicated?

Idea: In most places, if a death occurs during the commission of a felony, all involved are charged w/ murder. Perhaps they are looking at felony kidnapping? Assault?
:waitasec:

What if the pole truly wasn't suppose to hit the dad? What if it was suppose to scare him?
What if the dad was a drunk who abused his sons and they were trying to defend themselves?
What if they were trying to keep him from driving while intoxicated?

Having been in a relationship with a drunk, I think the last one is the probable reason. To piss him off and keep him from driving away, to hurt the car, not the father. I recall in college trying to keep a boyfriend from leaving the yard and getting into a car I knew would take him to go do cocaine. I knew he was physically stronger and could kick my butt, but I bit him as hard as I could in the stomach while wrestling with him - just to anger him enough so he wouldn't go. I can easily see tossing something toward the car - it's sheer desperation sometimes.

See both of those boys are going to pay for there fathers sickness. It just is not fair. They will be messed up now for sure, Its a shame!!!

I don't think they were trying to kill him either. If their intentions were to kill their father why not wait until he's in a drunken or drug induced sleep/stupor?

If the father was a drunk and drug abuser then no telling what these two boys have endured. That's probably how they thought things were handled, with violence.

I feel really bad for these boys. I'm not saying their father deserved to die but I think it would be punishment enough to know that you were the cause of your father's death. No matter what kind of father he was.

If the boys were afraid of their father while drunk, they would not have stopped him from leaving, once it was clear he was leaving. In my opinion.

What is wrong with kids these days? My dad used to wear me out with the belt and I would have NEVER considered doing anything like this.

AUGUSTA, Ga. — Two teens could face murder charges after one of them threw a metal tent pole at their father's head, fatally injuring him.
Fatally injuring him??? Does that make sense?

This reminds me of a case that happened here a few years ago ..but the oldest took a bat to the dad then set the house on fire.
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/LAW/09/06/king.trial/

I would like to know more about the circumstances. Was the Father leaving the son's behind at the camp site. Was the camp site remote. Is there any history of abuse. Of course the defense will play on the victims personal history, but how big was the tent pole, did the one boy have to chase the truck and throw it through the window. Were they scared he might not come back for them. Did they have food and water.

Or where the boys ticked off because of the Dad's drinking and drug use and the Dad would not listen and then decided to leave and the boys got angry and wanted to stop him.

But murder is a bit harsh, that I why I am wondering about the circumstances. If mitigation about history, then really a manslaughter charge would suffice. But in the end, this was not justified or self defense.

Yet, again, the children pay the price for the actions of their parents.

I don't think they intended to kill him.. like Lizzybeth said, it would be easiest enough to wait until he was passed out drunk.
The case in Fla (Czechmate's link) involving the King boys; well they're almost out by now, so they didn't get life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back