759 users online (94 members and 665 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

University to students: All Whites are Racist

"A mandatory University of Delaware program requires residence hall students to acknowledge that "all whites are racist" and offers them "treatment" for any incorrect attitudes regarding class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality they might hold upon entering the school, according to a civil rights group."

"The organization cited excerpts from the university's Office of Residence Life Diversity Education Training documents, including the statement:

"A RACIST: A racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. 'The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality. By this definition, people of color cannot be racists, because as peoples within the U.S. system, they do not have the power to back up their prejudices, hostilities, or acts of discrimination….'""

More @ link: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=58426

LOL, this is ridiculous.

Well, I guess I'm a racist then.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    "A mandatory University of Delaware program requires residence hall students to acknowledge that "all whites are racist" and offers them "treatment" for any incorrect attitudes regarding class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality they might hold upon entering the school, according to a civil rights group."

"The organization cited excerpts from the university's Office of Residence Life Diversity Education Training documents, including the statement:

"A RACIST: A racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. 'The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality. By this definition, people of color cannot be racists, because as peoples within the U.S. system, they do not have the power to back up their prejudices, hostilities, or acts of discrimination….'""

More @ link: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=58426

LOL, this is ridiculous.
    Sure it is. But if it were a white college teaching the exact same thing about black people - there would be words other than "ridiculous" used. It would be some kind of national disaster and everyone would have to be freaked out and spout pretend apologies to everyone else.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

I just think it's kind of scary you have a school telling people how to think and feel.

I just think it's kind of scary you have a school telling people how to think and feel.
    I agree - the big picture, REGARDLESS of the message, is pretty freakish to think about. Kind of makes me think of terrorist training or something. I wonder what you have to do to graduate?
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Whats alarming to me is that simply by being white your a racist???

Furthermore college is meant to teach independent thought about the diversities of the world NOT that only one thought process is acceptable.

From the link: "By this definition, people of color cannot be racists, because as peoples within the U.S. system, they do not have the power to back up their prejudices, hostilities, or acts of discrimination….'"

So white people have "power to back up their prejudices," etc?
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

I would need to look more into this program, before I take the word from World Net Daily, which is a conservative newspaper known for their bias and controversial articles (like the editorial that claimed eating soy as a child increases the likelihood you will be homosexual). The article is seemingly alarming, but since I don't trust the source, I would rather find out more information. Here is a link about the World Net Daily in case anyone is interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Net_Daily.

This is a difficult article to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
    I would need to look more into this program, before I take the word from World Net Daily, which is a conservative newspaper known for their bias and controversial articles (like the editorial that claimed eating soy as a child increases the likelihood you will be homosexual). The article is seemingly alarming, but since I don't trust the source, I would rather find out more information. Here is a link about the World Net Daily in case anyone is interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Net_Daily.

This is a difficult article to believe.
    Thank you for pointing this out. I actually picked up the link from another message board that I frequent and I had to check the article and the website out to make sure it wasn't a joke site like "The Onion" because I just couldn't believe what I was reading.

I was just on the University of Delaware's website and was skimming through some of their diversity training articles and didn't notice anything like mentioned above. I thought the following passage very thought provoking and was perfect to share here:

"RACISM OPPRESSES AND EXPLOITS PEOPLE OF COLOR. WHILE IT GRANTS WHITE PEOPLE UNDENIABLE ADVANTAGES AND BENEFITS, RACISM ALSO ROBS EACH OF US OF OUR FULL HUMANITY. WE DIDNT CONSTRUCT RACISM; WE INHERITED IT. BUT ITS UNCHALLENGED PERPETUATION IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY. RACISM CONTINUES IN THE NAME OF ALL WHITE PEOPLE.

PEOPLE OF COLOR WILL CONTINUE TO DEMAND THEIR RIGHTS,
    OPPORTUNITIES AND FULL PERSONHOOD. BUT RACISM IN THE UNITED
    STATES WON'T END BECAUSE PEOPLE OF COLOR DEMAND IT. RACISM
    WILL ONLY END WHEN A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF WHITE PEOPLE OF
    CONSCIENCE, THE PEOPLE WHO CAN WIELD SYSTEMIC PRIVILEGE AND
    POWER WITH INTEGRITY, FIND THE WILL AND TAKE THE ACTION TO
    DISMANTLE IT. THAT WON'T HAPPEN UNTIL WHITE PEOPLE FIND RACISM
    IN OUR DAILY CONSCIOUSNESS AS OFTEN AS PEOPLE OF COLOR DO. FOR NOW WE HAVE TO DRAG RACISM INTO OUR CONSCIOUSNESS
    INTENTIONALLY, FOR UNLIKE OUR SISTERS AND BROTHERS OF COLOR, THE MOST PRESENT DAILY MANIFESTATION OF OUR WHITE PRIVILEGE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF FORGETTING ABOUT RACISM. WE CANNOT."

Last edited by Masterj; 10-31-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: punctuation

oh lord. i wish this wasn't posted on here because there i know there are a few people who are going to get really worked up over this and take it as another example of how whites are oh-so mistreated at the hands of blacks.

various (disconnected) thoughts:

the "whites can only be racist" thing is widely accepted in sociology and other social sciences.

i'm a bit wary of the article -- it seems extremely biased and sounds to me like they are twisting things to make it seem worse than it is.

personally i believe there are two levels of racism -- structural racism (to which the previous definition would apply, as whites do still hold the majority of power in the united states) and individual racism, which anyone can be capable of. but thats just my

Quote Originally Posted by blue_the_puppy View Post
    oh lord. i wish this wasn't posted on here because there i know there are a few people who are going to get really worked up over this and take it as another example of how whites are oh-so mistreated at the hands of blacks.

various (disconnected) thoughts:

the "whites can only be racist" thing is widely accepted in sociology and other social sciences.

i'm a bit wary of the article -- it seems extremely biased and sounds to me like they are twisting things to make it seem worse than it is.

personally i believe there are two levels of racism -- structural racism (to which the previous definition would apply, as whites do still hold the majority of power in the united states) and individual racism, which anyone can be capable of. but thats just my
    Well, my intention wasn't to start a race war on the boards, but to show what could possibly be illegal and unconstitutional procedures by an institution such as a college. I'm all about diversity but telling people how to think and feel is a big no-no in my book. Asking people private questions such as their sexual orientation or when they learned about sex is no one's business.

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    yeah well the more they pull this *****,, the more racist whites are going to become... against them. but... i guess that is ultimately what they want anyway!
    Who is the they/them that you are talking about?

Well, my intention wasn't to start a race war on the boards, but to show what could possibly be illegal and unconstitutional procedures by an institution such as a college. I'm all about diversity but telling people how to think and feel is a big no-no in my book. Asking people private questions such as their sexual orientation or when they learned about sex is no one's business.
    Sexual orientation isn't private. If you want it to be, then you need to ban weddings, showers, rings and most films and TV shows.

I certainly support the right of any student to refuse to answer that question, or even to lie, but while sex may be private, it often isn't, and orientation is quite public.

it's just a damn shame.... blacks fought so hard for their basic civil rights... and they got 'em,, with the support of most of the other races, it seems... and now,, the current generations just can't be happy with anything,, they have to stir up trouble and ruin everything for themselves. and, destroy much of what was accomplished decades ago. they wanted to be included, and equal,, but now they DON'T want to be equal,, they want to be superior, and exclusive. they want to complain and make themselves into victims even when that isn't the case. and then they wonder why many people don't want to be around them... well,, many of them ony want to be around their own kind... and that's considered OK in our society. i found out way back in middle school that they wanted to congregate in their own little cliques and only be around each other. as adults you see more and more groups, clubs, magazines,, etc.. exclusively just for them, they refer to 'black america', and there are countless 'black colleges/universities',, a black TV channel,, etc etc etc... how is that fair and equal, i ask you......???

the truth of the matter is.. no matter what, most of them DO want to remain largely separate.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast