Khan the Wonder Dog

missacorah

Reaction score
RESCUED Doberman Khan repaid his new owners’ kindness by chucking their toddler away from a deadly snake.

Little Charlotte Svillicic was playing in the garden as a king brown – the world’s third most venomous snake – edged closer.

Khan, rescued from an animal shelter four days earlier, leapt into action.

As the predator moved in, the dog tossed the 17-month-old tot aside – and took the life-threatening bite himself.

Pals ... Charlotte with her rescuer
Yesterday Charlotte’s mum Catherine hailed the pet a hero, saying: “He saved her life by risking his own. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would never have believed it.”

She told how Khan became agitated as Charlotte played at the back of her home in Atherton near Cairns, on Australia’s Queensland coast.

Then the pet made a sudden lunge for the toddler. Catherine went on: “Khan was acting aggressively towards Charlotte and kept nudging her, but it wasn’t working.

“So he grabbed her by the back of the nappy and threw her over his shoulder more than a metre, like she was a rag doll.

King brown ... third most
venomous snake
“Charlotte looked pretty shocked, then Khan screamed, like he’d been stabbed.”

The hidden snake had struck, biting the dog on the leg.

Catherine said: “He didn’t yelp, he just screamed. And I thought, ‘Gosh – thanks’. I realised quickly it was a snake.”

Nursed

Khan, who owes his own life to the family after suffering ill-treatment and abuse from his previous owners, received a shot of antivenom from a vet and the family nursed him through the night.

Apart from being very sick in the hours after the attack, he has made a full recovery.

Yesterday, as he and Charlotte played happily back in the garden, Catherine said: “From now on, he’s Khan the Wonder Dog.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article412192.ece

That is so sweet. I love it when you see pets do miraculous things especially a rescued dog. I hope they really spoil that pooch.

That little one is TOO adorable, isn't she?

I wonder how often a dog has "acted aggressively" toward a tot in the same situation, and the parent beat the dog - never noticing the snake that would have gotten out of dodge?

What a beautiful story, missacorah:)!!. Thank you for posting this. Good news, especially regarding a child and an uncanny, special dog puts a smile in my heart.

Lion

Wonderful story with a happy ending. Khan looks a lot like a dog we used to have. I still miss him and he was a sweetheart too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back