NY NY - Jaliek Rainwalker, 12, Greenwich, 13 Nov 2007

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S247310.shtml?cat=300

Dozens of police and rescuers are searching for a missing 12-year-old boy who appears to have run away to avoid getting in trouble.

Jalick Rainwalker was last seen Thursday night at a Greenwich home owned by his grandparents.

and

Jalick is described as a troubled boy who'd gotten into trouble a few days ago for threatening a younger child.

His parents even had Jalick stay at his grandparents house so he couldn't harm the child he threatened. His father checked on him Friday morning and found he'd put something in his bed to make it look like he was still in it.

"And he knew he was in trouble. He was confronted by his adopted parents about it," Police Chief George Bell said.

His parents say he'd spoken of suicide before, but never attempted it. They told police they found a note that said, "Dear everybody, I'm sorry for everything. I won't bother you anymore. Goodbye, Jalick."

Jalick has two half-brothers in Albany. Police say he may be trying to get to them.

more at link

pic
01__MISSING.jpg

http://www.saratogian.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18992133&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=602469&rfi=6

Jalick L. RainWalker lives in the McDougal Lake Road area with his adoptive family, Bell said. But he was staying this past Thursday, Nov. 1, with his adoptive father's parents at 11 Hill St. in the village of Greenwich, Bell said.

The grandparents noticed him missing Friday morning. Bell described RainWalker as troubled, having been diagnosed with a number of emotional and psychiatric problems during his young life. He left behind a note that is so ambiguous and open to interpretation it is of little use to investigators, Chief Bell said.

He also left the word "Albany" written on a piece of paper.
Jalick has two half-brothers who live in Albany. He had a court-ordered visit with his brothers about 2-1/2 years ago, Bell said.

"So far we are batting zero trying to find them," Bell said. "But that is one of the leads we are following."

The frustrating thing is that Jalick would have needed help, a ride, money food, in order to get very far.

"If he got out onto a main road, somebody would have seen something," Bell said.

He described the boy as 5-foot-six inches tall and 150 pounds of mixed Caucasian and African-American heritage with a long, brown Afro haircut.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 692-9332.

more at link

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2007/11/09/news/latest/doc47349321bb36d296903238.txt

November 9, 2007

Police reported no new developments this morning in the search for Jaliek L. Rainwalker...

and

His adopted mother, Jocelyn McDonald, said today the family is hopeful Jaliek hitched a ride somewhere, such as New York City, which he always wanted to visit. She asked that residents post pictures of him, or copies of the "missing" fliers, on their vehicles so more people will see his photo.

"He had reasons to go many places," she said.

A prayer vigil is to be held for Jaliek tonight at the United Methodist Church in Salem. It is to start at 7 p.m.

McDonald said the family also will hold a candlelight vigil next week if Jaliek is not found before then.

more at link

I hope he is found soon. Thank you for updating the thread, hoppyfrog. I hadn't seen it until today.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3853746&page=1

Hope Fades for Boy Missing in Upstate New York

Police Say Adopted Father of Jaliek Rainwalker, 12, Declined Polygraph Exam

Nov. 12, 2007

The search for apparent runaway Jaliek Rainwalker in upstate New York has produced at least 150 leads, but no missing 12-year-old boy.

Rainwalker was last seen more than a week ago by his adopted father, Stephen Kerr, Cambridge-Greenwich Police Chief George Bell told ABC News.

Kerr reported the boy missing Nov. 2 after finding him gone from his bed at his adopted grandfather's house. Rainwalker, who suffers from mental illness, had stuffed clothes and pillows under the sheets and left behind a note, Kerr told police.

"He was sorry for all he did and he wouldn't be a problem anymore," Bell said, describing the contents of the note, which appeared to be written in Rainwalker's handwriting. "He said, 'Goodbye.'"

The note could be construed as a runaway or suicide note, Bell said, but more than 10 days after the boy's disappearance, the chief fears that Rainwalker has fallen victim to someone or something.

"In 30 years, a kid of 12 years old, and I don't care what his mindset is, he doesn't fall off the face of the world," Bell said. "We just don't have a runaway kid here."

much more at link

Whenever someone declines a polygraph, it always makes me think they are guilty of something. I hope and pray that Jaliek's situation doesn't end up like Ricky Holland's.

Thanks again for the updates.

Did we have another thread on him? I could have sworn I commented on it a while back. Poor little guy, I hope that his adopted father didn't kill him, but I think that is where this is leading.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=638508&category=REGION&newsdate=11/13/2007

13 Nov 07

Police in Washington County drained a pond at the Battenkill Country Club in their ongoing search for a 12-year-old boy.

Police late Monday said they had not found any clues related to Jaliek Rainwalker's disappearance. They are scheduled to be back at the scene this morning.

more at link

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S254934.shtml?cat=300

According to the police chief, cadaver dogs were very interested in the pond but even after it was drained no body was found Monday .

"That scent could be laying in that water and that swampy area and could be coming from 500 feet away from the pond, 200 feet away from the pond, we're not sure," said Chief Bell.

The chief says the dogs will be out again tomorrow and searchers will conduct a shoulder to shoulder grid search throughout the swamp area adjacent to the pond.

more at link

News articles have said that Jaliek's adoptive father brought Jaliek to his own parents' house to stay there and that the adoptive father was the last person to see Jaliek before he disappeared.

My question is this: didn't the grandfather (or grandmother) see Jaliek when the adoptive father brought him over to stay?

Or was the grandparents' house empty (e.g. grandparents out of town) and the adoptive father stayed with Jaliek there, just the two of them?

Some infor from http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S255712.shtml?cat=300

Twelve-year-old Jaliek Rainwalker of Greenwich has been missing since Nov. 1. His father, Stephen Kerr, was the last person to see the boy, but has refused to take a lie detector test.

and

Kerr's father, Graham Kerr, who is a diplomat in Romania and the owner of the home where Kerr last saw Jaliek, says he believes his son.

"I believe he's telling the truth," he said.

Graham Kerr says his son might still take a polygraph test.

"Yes, I think he might," he said, adding that he would encourage him to do so.

more at link

Police Narrow Search for Jaliek Rainwalker

November 12, 2007 - 5:24PM
Investigators will be back on the golf course at the Battenkill Country Club tomorrow, continuing their search for 12-year-old Jaliek Rainwalker.

On Monday, rescue crews in Washington County drained a pond on the course after they say three different cadaver dogs showed an interest in that area. We’re told the dogs didn’t find anything tonight, but they’ll search a swampy area around the pond tomorrow.

Rainwalker has been missing since November 1. His family says he likely ran away from home because he was no longer welcome in the small schoolhouse where he and several other students were home-schooled.

Rainwalker's mother, Jocelyn McDonald, told CBS 6 News on Sunday police asked her to take a polygraph test, which she agreed to, but that her husband, Stephen Kerr decided against taking. McDonald says her husband was willing to take the test, but changed his mind because of a question on a form asking whether he was in good physical condition.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=639553&category=REGION&newsdate=11/16/2007

16 Nov 07

When Jaliek Rainwalker disappeared, his parents had already decided to undo their adoption of him, family and police confirmed Thursday.

The last person to see him was his adoptive father, Stephen Kerr, who spent the night alone with him at a relative's unoccupied home in Greenwich, those close to the case have said.

Rainwalker, 12, was prone to violent outbursts, and his four siblings were afraid of him, said Barbara Reeley, the mother of Jocelyn Kerr, Rainwalker's adoptive mother. His serious emotional problems caused him to fly into uncontrollable rages in the five years he lived with his adoptive family in Cossayuna, Washington County, Reeley said.

On Oct. 31, Stephen Kerr picked his son up from a several-days stay at a respite home -- where parents can leave emotionally troubled children for a break from constant turmoil. Rainwalker was scheduled to go to another respite home that Friday. Kerr volunteered to take Rainwalker to the empty house at 11 Hill St. in Greenwich, which is owned by Kerr's father, Graham. The next morning, Kerr said he found Rainwalker missing but that his son had left a goodbye note, which said he no longer wanted to be a burden on his family.

more at link

(Bolding is mine and makes me think that the reporter has been reading this thread. :) Hoppy)

[SIZE=+1]JALIEK L RAINWALKER[/SIZE]

NCMC1083247c1.jpg

Case Type: Lost, Injured, Missing
DOB: Aug 2, 1995
Sex: Male
Missing Date: Nov 1, 2007
Race: Biracial
Age Now: 12
Height: 5'6" (168 cm)
Missing City: GREENWICH
Weight: 105 lbs (48 kg)
Missing State : NYHair Color: Brown
Missing Country: United States
Eye Color: Green
Case Number: NCMC1083247
Circumstances: Jaliek was last seen on November 1, 2007. He is Biracial. Jaliek is Black and White. He was last seen wearing blue jeans, a hooded sweatshirt and black tennis shoes.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...en_US&orgPrefix=NCMC&caseNum=1083247&seqNum=1

Search for Jaliek: Missing Boy's Father Advised Not to Take Test

Another day of searching turns up nothing in the case of missing Washington County boy, Jaliek Rainwalker.
Crews returned to the area around the Battenkill Country Club Golf Course Wednesday, where a pond was drained earlier this week. They were also in Salem, near Rexleigh Road - an area where the family used to live.
And while the search continues, NEWS10 has learned that Jaliek's father, Stephen Kerr - the last person to see Jaliek alive - has received advice from local defense attorney Terry Kindlon. Kindlon told us by phone that he advised Kerr to refuse a polygraph test.
Jaliek's family is using every avenue they have, handing out flyers, and even hiring a psychic to try to find him.
"We have had good information from the psychic," Jaliek's mother, Jocelyn McDonald says.
Cambridge-Greenwich Police Chief George Bell is also asking hunters to keep an eye open for signs of Jaliek as they take to the woods this weekend for deer hunting season.

http://www.wten.com/Global/story.asp?S=7365068&nav=menu30_1

I see above that the adoptive father didn't take the polygraph because he has a health problem, and also above he was advised not to take the polygraph on an attorney's advice. Is there a reason why a health problem would impact a polygraph? I'm sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

Is there a reason why a health problem would impact a polygraph? I'm sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

Don't know. Might want to check google or wikipedia for more info?

Hoppy

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/headlines/?ArID=225272&SecID=33

11-17-07

After an intense two week search for Jaliek Rainwalker, police are taking Saturday and Sunday off, but they're hoping hunters in the area will be on the lookout for him in the woods throughout Washington County.

"Well, they'll most likely look for clothing or if somebody built a little camp or a hideout or someone trying to get out of the weather. That's definitely something hunters would notice, especially with all the hype surrounding this thing," said Greenwich resident and hunter Artie Erbe.

Erbe also said now, with the start of deer hunting season, a lot more people will be out, covering a lot more ground. So far, though, he hasn't seen any signs pointing to Jaliek's whereabouts.

"We were hunting with dogs. If there was somebody hiding in a hideout or in a tree, they would have let us know about it, I'm sure."

But Erbe says hunters are vigilant people by nature, and that they will have their eyes open for anything out of the ordinary, especially around this area since it seems everyone is talking about Jaliek Rainwalker.

more at link

I see above that the adoptive father didn't take the polygraph because he has a health problem, and also above he was advised not to take the polygraph on an attorney's advice. Is there a reason why a health problem would impact a polygraph? I'm sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.
I don't think that it is a stupid question at all! I do think that they are using a ridiculous excuse for the father not taking the polygraph! Of course, that could be because I think that he killed Jaliek! Did you, by any chance, see him on television talking about Martin Luther King? It was something about about "insufficient funds". He ended by saying that Jaliek was born addicted to crack and he came into this world with a check stamped "insufficient funds". I was like, "what the hell is he talking about - what does that have to do with Jalilek's disappearance"? He really seemed relish the spotlight - he just seems, to me, weird as hell! I believe that he was trying to lay some kind of ground work to put the focus on the boy's so-called problems. I don't believe that Jaliek is merely missing - I believe that he is dead!!! Sorry if I seem to be ranting........

Medication could be the reason. Or maybe he is prone to panic attacks. Medical problems or medications could skew the result.

I don't think that it is a stupid question at all! I do think that they are using a ridiculous excuse for the father not taking the polygraph! Of course, that could be because I think that he killed Jaliek! Did you, by any chance, see him on television talking about Martin Luther King? It was something about about "insufficient funds". He ended by saying that Jaliek was born addicted to crack and he came into this world with a check stamped "insufficient funds". I was like, "what the hell is he talking about - what does that have to do with Jalilek's disappearance"? He really seemed relish the spotlight - he just seems, to me, weird as hell! I believe that he was trying to lay some kind of ground work to put the focus on the boy's so-called problems. I don't believe that Jaliek is merely missing - I believe that he is dead!!! Sorry if I seem to be ranting........

I don't think you are ranting, I appreciate you took time to answer. I didn't see the father on TV, and from your description of the interview I am kind of glad. To describe a child as being insufficient is ignorant. My heart breaks for this child.

Medication could be the reason. Or maybe he is prone to panic attacks. Medical problems or medications could skew the result.

Thank you SewingDeb. This portion out of one of the above articles confused me:

"Rainwalker's mother, Jocelyn McDonald, told CBS 6 News on Sunday police asked her to take a polygraph test, which she agreed to, but that her husband, Stephen Kerr decided against taking. McDonald says her husband was willing to take the test, but changed his mind because of a question on a form asking whether he was in good physical condition."

I just didn't understand that particular question on a form as a reason for declining a polygraph. Thanks again for explaining the medical reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back