Another child attacked by a dog--dachshund

Pandora

Reaction score
At first, I thought this was an old story, but it is dated Nov. 6, 2007!

SNIP:
WAUKEGAN, Ill. -- Police are still looking into what exactly happened in a Waukegan apartment early Sunday morning when a dachshund chewed off the genitals of a 4-month-old boy.

Fire and police personnel arrived at 1:30 a.m. to the home on the city’s far southwest side and encountered the infant — who was bleeding profusely — and took him from the scene in a helicopter to a hospital.

The father of the boy told police he was visiting his girlfriend with his son when the infant fell asleep on a couch. The girlfriend had placed blankets around the child and the two went into another room to sleep.

Police said the girlfriend’s dachshund may have smelled urine in the child’s diaper and began to chew away at the diaper.

More at link: http://www.wpxi.com/news/14519881/detail.html

Another story: American Bulldog kills four-year-old
http://www.kpho.com/news/14517741/detail.html

I'm starting to wonder about dogs in general. Are they more ferocious these days? Perhaps some are just inbred. Not blaming the victim, but maybe some children aren't taught how to "pet" or approach dogs? Obviously, the dachschund in the previous story wasn't approached by a four-month-old, but it just seems as if more and more of these stories are coming to light. Both of these were on CNN's US page today.

I'm starting to wonder about dogs in general. Are they more ferocious these days? Perhaps some are just inbred. Not blaming the victim, but maybe some children aren't taught how to "pet" or approach dogs? Obviously, the dachschund in the previous story wasn't approached by a four-month-old, but it just seems as if more and more of these stories are coming to light. Both of these were on CNN's US page today.

I think it may have more to do with poor parenting skills, in both cases.

I think it may have more to do with poor parenting skills, in both cases.

Agreed!! I have a very large dog (160lbs) ... he would never bite any child and only growls at adults he finds threatening.

I haven't read the full story but we have 2 dachshunds and they love to chew up wet/dirty diapers. If I accidently leave one within reach they will tear into it. However, I do not believe the dog "chewed off" the baby's genitals. I see the dog biting him but chewing off... Please. That baby would have been screaming after a bite much less chewing.

That poor little boy. My baby boy is 5 months and I just couldn't imagine anything happening to him.

Agreed!! I have a very large dog (160lbs) ... he would never bite any child and only growls at adults he finds threatening.

We also have 2 large dogs (about 80lbs each). None of our dogs would bite a child (but I keep watch anyway). Aren't big dogs great when it comes to protecting their family?!!

We also have 2 large dogs (about 80lbs each). None of our dogs would bite a child (but I keep watch anyway). Aren't big dogs great when it comes to protecting their family?!!

I had a thirteen-pound bichon frise who was absolutely the sweetest, cutest, funniest fluff-ball you've ever seen ... until he thought his "Mommy" was being threatened. He would go ballistic and bite. He tried to jump through a storm window once when I was having storm windows put on the house. The installer was afraid to come in to pick up his check! (Actually, I wondered if the installer was a pervert after Boscoe made it plain he didn't like the guy!)

LOL!! The small ones always think they are as big as the big dogs! Our 20lb dachshund likes to pick fights with our 80lb shepherd mix. It's so funny to watch!

Dogs are also very good judges of character....

We had a dachsund when I was a kid and he was a super watchdog, if you were not part of the family you didn't belong. He grew up along with my neice and he adored her, they'd play together for hours and he never once did anything to her but he had some odd behaviors that drove us nuts, 1 thing he would do was he'd eat his own waste so we'd have to watch him close so he didn't get the chance.
It's horrible what happened to this little baby, he never should have been left vulnerable to a dog, that's common sense 101.

VB

I have a mini dachshund who can get aggressive. She also LOVES to chew and tear things up. I keep her away from kids who want to approach her just because I have no idea what my little dog will do. For the most part she actually gets scared and wants to run away but she barks like she is going to attack..

Ok, why would someone leave a 4 month old infant on the couch with a dog on the loose???? I'm sorry, it just doesn't seem smart. What would happen if the 4 month old turned over and fell off the couch? Most infants are put in a crib...

Oh, that poor baby. I can't even imagine the pain he must have been in. And what kind of life will he have?!

There was a case earlier this year in Houston where the mother had the same story. That a dog (I believe it was also a dachshund) chewed off her infant's genitals. Turns out the so called mother cut the baby's genitals off herself and blamed the dog.

I hope this isn't the case here.

That poor baby. :(

THey are!!! I don't even watch Worf.
He would just never bite anyone.

ETA ... unless they deserved it :)

These poor children. When they said the bulldog turned agressive did they mean just at that point or sometime before then it had been agressive. This poor little girls sister who seen this happen. American bulldogs look a lot like pit bulls and are one breed that are mistaken for pits in attacks sometimes.

THey are!!! I don't even watch Worf.
He would just never bite anyone.

ETA ... unless they deserved it :)

Brie (our 80lb shepherd mix) snipped at a neighbor. We were moving and there was a lot of activity and strange men in the house. A neighbor came over to say goodbye and bent over the deck to pet Brie and she snipped. Then there was the time she was with me when I got pulled over for speeding (oops). I have never seen her behave like she did. She wanted that cop and she wanted him bad. That was the day I learned that she is a great guard dog and we are so lucky to have her. But I do watch her around the kids... you just never know. We have taught the kids to pet her but to do it gently and when Brie moves away that means it's enough. Same with our other 80lb dog, Carly. But Carly wouldn't bite anyone or anything. If she did anything at all she would lick you to death....

Who in their right mind leaves a helpless infant alone in a room with a dog, any dog?? Remember the story of the pit bull puppy that ate the baby's toes off? Again the parents were "sleeping" when this happened. Can you imagine sleeping through the screaming that baby must have been doing? As I recall, in the toe-eating instance the parents were charged with neglect. This poor baby. What stupid parents.

I was bit by a dachshund when I was 7 years old. I was walking down the street to a friend's house. I did not approach the dog. I didn't even see it until it was running at me. I didn't think it would bite me so I kept walking. It got me right in the behind. I can't say I care much for the breed to this day. :razz:

I personally don't think so - we just have 24/7 news coverage that reaches across state lines and around the world.

they were probably to busy getting busy in the other room to pay attention to they babies crying. Poor little guy. Can they fix something like that?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back