850 users online (113 members and 737 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IL - Chicago; 82-year-old woman with schizophrenia and dementia tasered by police

WPTZ link

An 82-year-old woman was tasered by police after responding to a welfare check of the woman's home. When the police arrived at the woman's home they were met by her swinging a hammer back and forth. While attempting to subdue her, she was tasered.
    Due to copyright, I cannot post the article. The story is at the link at the top of this post.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Tasering the poor woman was a bit much!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    ~ Albert Einstein ~

No, she was swinging a hammer. They had to restrain her, and they didn't want to shoot her, which was much more probably to be lethal. I'm leaning towards the police's side in this. How'd you like a crazy person (no matter the age or gender) swinging a hammer at you? She needed to be subdued, they took the least harmful option at their disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    No, she was swinging a hammer. They had to restrain her, and they didn't want to shoot her, which was much more probably to be lethal. I'm leaning towards the police's side in this. How'd you like a crazy person (no matter the age or gender) swinging a hammer at you? She needed to be subdued, they took the least harmful option at their disposal.
    \

Yes, but wasn't she in her own house? Was there someone in there with her that may have been harmed? Because, I didn't read that if there was. I don't know the whole situation, but the woman is 82 years old and 5'1".
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    ~ Albert Einstein ~

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEyedGirl View Post
    \

Yes, but wasn't she in her own house? Was there someone in there with her that may have been harmed? Because, I didn't read that if there was. I don't know the whole situation, but the woman is 82 years old and 5'1".
    And maybe as much as 160 pounds. I'm five feet four inches tall, and the heavy side ideal weight for me is 140 pounds. I think there were people in the home, and in any case, a person like that is like a child, and if a child is waving around something lethal like a hammer or the like you are going to restrain them to safely remove the item so they don't hurt themselves with it. Remember, schizophrenia *and* dementia. So, more like a child waving a hammer around mentally, not like a grown adult in their right mind goofing off in their own home.

I agree tasering and elderly woman is a bit much. Especially if they were called in response to someone seeing her with the hammer through the window. You would think they could have came up with a better plan.

I doubt anyone else was in the house because they were doing a welfare check. I do agree about the size thing I'm 5'11" and 135 I become intimidated by shorter people who appear to weight more than me when it comes to safety issues.

I guess the fellow who tasered her felt she was about to hurt someone, and she wasn't willing to stop swinging the hammer on her own. It isn't as if they could have said "Give me the hammer, there's a good dear." and she'd have done so. Probably not, eh?

So the Police are faced with a "unstable" women swinging a hammer. Should they risk a fractured skull, death, so they "can be kind" and nice to her.

Anyone with a weapon, be if a knife, hammer, baseball bat what ever is a threat to safety of the officers. Since this women would not follow instructions, the Police had to protect the officers.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw View Post
    So the Police are faced with a "unstable" women swinging a hammer. Should they risk a fractured skull, death, so they "can be kind" and nice to her.

Anyone with a weapon, be if a knife, hammer, baseball bat what ever is a threat to safety of the officers. Since this women would not follow instructions, the Police had to protect the officers.
    I agree with you.

There is a "coroners" inquest going on in my city that is similar to this event.

A "mentally" ill man was in a park with a knife. A large knife. The Police were called. They told him three times to put the knife down, he did not and was approaching the 3 Officers.

They had to shoot him. He died. The mother "cries" that if her son was white he would not have been shot. But the Police saw a "man with a knife" was did not follow "repeated" requests to put down the large knife and he was approaching the Officers.

The Mother also says: He did not attack anyone, he was just walking around with the knife, I don't know why someone called the Police.

Please........

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw View Post
    There is a "coroners" inquest going on in my city that is similar to this event.

A "mentally" ill man was in a park with a knife. A large knife. The Police were called. They told him three times to put the knife down, he did not and was approaching the 3 Officers.

They had to shoot him. He died. The mother "cries" that if her son was white he would not have been shot. But the Police saw a "man with a knife" was did not follow "repeated" requests to put down the large knife and he was approaching the Officers.

The Mother also says: He did not attack anyone, he was just walking around with the knife, I don't know why someone called the Police.

Please........
    This reminds me of a case in Detroit, I think of a black man who was deaf and came towards police wielding a rake and when he did not freeze and put down the rake he was shot and killed. IIRC there it was a white young cop who shot him and was on trial but there was also a black cop backing him up and I think he ended up getting aquitted. The whole reason the police were called in the first place to his home was cause he stabbed and was beating on his son.
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    Don't know you, Kat, but I've got to disagree. She was swinging a hammer in her own home. Nobody else there that she could hurt. Officials from the Department on Aging went to check on her, observed her through the window swinging the hammer....she wasn't swinging it at them, at least not according to the article. They made it their business to check on her, and she may not have welcomed them....which I would think is her right. My grammy is 100, and if she doesn't want to entertain asses from the Department on Aging, she doesn't have to. But for whatever reason, and there may be a legitamate one, these officials decided they HAD to see her up close and personal, and instead of calling her relatives or her doctor, they call the cops and the cops tase the old woman. If she is truly 5'1" tall and weighs up to 160 pounds, I'm sure she wasn't the most mobile person in the world.

I hate tasers. I absolutely think that 99.9999% of the time, they are used unnecessarily and are used in lieu of the police officer's brain.

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    Don't know you, Kat, but I've got to disagree. She was swinging a hammer in her own home. Nobody else there that she could hurt. Officials from the Department on Aging went to check on her, observed her through the window swinging the hammer....she wasn't swinging it at them, at least not according to the article. They made it their business to check on her, and she may not have welcomed them....which I would think is her right. <snip>

I refer you to my post number five in this topic, in which I addressed these thoughts. Normally, I'd agree. I don't much like the overuse of tasers either. I just don't see what else they could have done with limited options to prevent her getting hurt in this specific case.

She could have hurt herself. And the police would be blamed for that. Probably rightly. They've got a few headlines to choose from here:

82-year old woman with dementia dies after police ignore reports she's swinging a hammer around, and she hits herself and dies.

82-year old woman with dementia seriously injured by police trying to control her - broken hip and other broken bones when they piled on her to get the hammer away.

20 year vetran police officer in hospital after hit by 82 year old woman swinging a hammer.

Or - they can use a taser that won't hurt her, will just get her to stop. IMO - they used the appropriate option. She's fine, they're fine, good resolution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast