Australian toy recall, contains date rape drug chemical

Autumn2004

Inactive
Reaction score
SYDNEY, Australia - Australian officials ordered a popular Chinese-made children's toy pulled from the shelves after scientists found it contained a chemical that converts into a powerful "date rape" drug when ingested.

Three children have been hospitalized over the past 10 days after swallowing beads from Bindeez, named Australia's toy of the year at an industry function earlier this year.

Scientists say the beads contain a chemical that the human body metabolizes into the so-called "date rape" drug gamma hydroxy butyrate. When eaten, the compound — made from common and easily available ingredients — can induce unconsciousness, seizures, drowsiness, coma and death.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/ap_on_he_me/toys_date_rape_drug

Yet another chinese recall :( Prayers for the families and the children affected by this.

What in the world?!

Here's a picture of the toy. It looks cute.
686576_f.jpg

There were some on ebay. Does ebay take recalled items off their site or is that up to the buyer and seller to figure out? :eek:

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I haven't heard anything about those here.

Damn those Aussies! :D

Just kidding, y'all!!

I was going to get my kids some Aquadots for Christmas, but God knows I don't want them accidentally ingesting something that would make them sleep like the dead.....;)

Its aquadots unfortunately, I thought it looked cool too.

south- dont blame the aussies, its china who is at fault.

Oh NO!! I started another link because I didn't see this thread! :doh: I will ask the mods to delete my thread. I am so :eek:

Oh NO!! I started another link because I didn't see this thread! :doh: I will ask the mods to delete my thread. I am so :eek:

Nah, just ask that they be merged. ;) It's no biggie, put down the wet noodle! :D

Oh wow...I just bought these a few weeks ago at Costco for Xmas presents. They look so neat! Back to the store they go!

China is like the Grinch who is stealing Christmas.

I know what you mean, I started a thread down in the jury forum to hopefully get some sites and toys of american made toys for the holidays.

Wonder if the toy makers in China knew about the toys danger.
It's a shame because the toy looks cool. I think my kids would have loved it.

:doh: My daughter JUST got one of these for her birthday this past week. She is going to be ticked when I take away her new toy. Ugh.. She really does love this thing too.

Thanks for posting this here, I saw these toys in a store circular and had intentions on buying them for the girl children on my list. They will be removed from store shelves, won't they?

Is there an "age" warning on the box? I was catching up on this story and read this:

"He said that his 13-month-old daughter Riley was transformed from a happy toddler to an unresponsive state in less than 20 minutes.

*snip*

Riley's parents believe that she may have ingested more than 40 pellets from the Aqua Dots package.":mad: :mad: :eek:

http://www.newsnet5.com/family/14550721/detail.html

Why is a 13 month old playing with Aqua Dots...AND, how in the heck did she ingest FORTY pellets...where was Mom or Dad?? Was she playing unsupervised with these dots? Unbelievable!!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back