Identified! SC - Augusta, Human remains found, Nov'07 - John Gustafson

raine1212

Former Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I posted this in the correct area. Mods. please feel free to move. This was report on WRDW news.
????? Maybe Erica Bradley

News 12 at 11, November 7, 2007
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- North Augusta Public Safety says human skeletal remains were found tonight around 6:15 in the woods off of Austin Graybill Road. The discovery was made right behind the Burger King's parking lot near Highway 25 and I-20.
It's obvious the remains have been there for quite some time." says North Augusta Public Safety Lt. Tim Pearson.
Pearson says the remains were found by some people who were hunting for collectables in the woods. He says they are so badly decomposed, there is no way to tell right now if it is a man, woman, boy or girl.
"It's not known at this time. We're not able to determine any race. It's obvious we'll have to get a pathologist involved."
"It's a shock! It's a shock!" says Kenneth Davis, who works at the Burger King, just a few hundred yards away from where the grisly discovery was made. "That's a terrible tragedy. Just goes to show you you never know what's going on in the world today."
Right now investigators don't know if foul play was involved or not, but North Augusta Public Safety and SLED say they will work around the clock until they know what happened.
"It's not natural to find bones in the woods. We're going to do everything we can to determine who this is. We're fortunate science has come a long way over the years so we're going to be tapping into every resource to find out who this is and how they ended up here." adds Lt. Pearson.
A North Augusta Public Safety Officer is on the scene overnight to secure the sight. Investigators plan to begin the excavation process first thing in the morning.

Just found this on www.wrdw.com more of the story there.
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton says the remains found in some North Augusta Woods on Wednesday night appear to be those of a female.

Just a few of the women Missing in this area.

A200705154S_5517.jpg

Name:Karen Dianne Pryor
Classification:Endangered Missing Adult Date of Birth:1968-07-03 Date Missing:2006-09-08 From City/State:Augusta, GA Missing From (Country):USA Age at Time of Disappearance:38 Gender:Female Race:White Height:63 inches Weight:98 pounds Hair Color:Brown Eye Color:Brown Complexion:Medium Clothing:Pink jogging suit. Circumstances of Disappearance:Unknown. Karen was last seen at approximately 2:00pm exiting a friend's vehicle and walking in the 1200 block of Gordon Hwy in Augusta, GA. She had bought a bus ticket and was supposed to go to Atlanta, GA. The ticket was not used and she hasn't been seen since. Investigative Agency:Richmond County Sheriff's Office Phone:(706) 821-1020 Investigative Case #:07-187671 NCIC #:M-565971507

Name:Mary Alice Dixon
A200300119S_741.jpg

Classification:Endangered Missing Adult Date of Birth:1915-06-06 Date Missing:2002-03-21 From City/State:New Ellington, SC Missing From (Country):USA Age at Time of Disappearance:86 Gender:Female Race:Black Race (Other):Braids Height:65 inches Weight:105 pounds Hair Color:Gray Eye Color:Brown Complexion:Dark Clothing:Orange shirt, gray pants, blue-gray jacket and also carrying a white bag. Circumstances of Disappearance:Unknown. Last seen at approximately 3:30pm in the vicinity of US Hwy 278 and SC Hwy 19 traveling westbound toward Barnwell, SC. She suffers from Alzheimer's disease and needs medication for other health related problems. Investigative Agency:New Ellenton Police Department Phone:(803) 648-6811 Investigative Case #:02-0349-03 NCIC #:M-932287791

A200301095W_261.jpg

Name:Sharon Lynn HartWills
Classification:Endangered Missing Adult Alias / Nickname:Sheby Date of Birth:1962-10-19 Date Missing:1987-07-10 From City/State:Graniteville, SC Age at Time of Disappearance:24 Gender:Female Race:Black Height:64 inches Weight:121 pounds Hair Color:Black Eye Color:Brown Complexion:Medium Identifying Characteristics:Pierced ears. Circumstances of Disappearance:Unknown. Sharon was last seen on Church St., in Graniteville, SC. Investigative Agency:Aiken County Sheriff's Office Phone:(803) 642-1761 Website:http://sheriff.aiken.net/ Investigative Case #:8710988 NCIC #:M-279618492
Classification:Endangered Missing Adult Alias / Nickname:Sheby Date of Birth:1962-10-19 Date Missing:1987-07-10 From City/State:Graniteville, SC Age at Time of Disappearance:24 Gender:Female Race:Black Height:64 inches Weight:121 pounds Hair Color:Black Eye Color:Brown Complexion:Medium Identifying Characteristics:Pierced ears. Circumstances of Disappearance:Unknown. Sharon was last seen on Church St., in Graniteville, SC. Investigative Agency:Aiken County Sheriff's Office Phone:(803) 642-1761 Website:http://sheriff.aiken.net/ Investigative Case #:8710988 NCIC #:M-279618492

A200604670S_4926.jpg

:Lisa Marie Shuttleworth
Classification:Endangered Missing Adult Alias / Nickname:Lisa Maybrey Date of Birth:1969-06-25 Date Missing:2003-09-04 From City/State:Beech Island, SC Missing From (Country):USA Age at Time of Disappearance:34 Gender:Female Race:White Height:63 inches Weight:102 pounds Hair Color:Brown Eye Color:Blue Complexion:Medium Identifying Characteristics:Pierced ears, small scar under navel, right foot is slightly smaller than left foot, right big toe is much smaller than left, slight overbite. Clothing:Possibly wearing a white T-shirt with unknown writing on the front, pink or gray sweatpants, carrying her pager. Circumstances of Disappearance:Unknown. Lisa was last contacted via phone at approximately 10:00am while at her residence in the vicinity of the 100 block of Miller St. in Beech Island, SC. Investigative Agency:Aiken County Sheriff's Office Phone:(803) 642-1785 Alternate Phone:(800) 922-3211 Investigative Case #:03-037492 NCIC #:M-103497522

Raine1212, this is right in our area of the world! Gosh! Great job on your possible identifications thus far. Hopefully, we will get more information about race, clothing, jewelry, etc. soon!

I hope they will release more info soon. I am still looking for missing women in our area. Chronicle is reporting also remains may be a women. Also, I have not forgotten to check Columbia and surrounding area. We still have I believe her name was Dail missing from Columbia I think after a concert.

I am really interested in seeing how old they think the remains are. There was a really strange incident that happened in this same exact area on November 22, 2005. A young white male tried to carjack a lady who was in line at at this same Burger King. He was unsuccessful because she drove away. He ended up shooting her in the back with an assault rifle. He then ran across the road to a Huddle House and shot two men who were friends and had breakfast there everyday. One of the men died, and the other one was in the hospital for a long time. The guy took the vehicle that belonged to one of the men and there was a massive manhunt with helicopters and LE on foot for hours in the area. The car was spotted on the other side of the intersection latter that day, parked in a motel parking lot. They never found the guy, and they never determined what the motive was. It was as if he appeared early in the morning at a busy intersection off of an interstate walking around with an assault rifle. He was intent on carjacking, and ended up killing one person and wounding two others. He was successful in obtaining a vehicle, but he returned it latter the same day to the same area. Strange or what? Anyway, this is the exact same area that this new body has been found in. I would be surprised if it has been there prior to the carjacking incident in 2005 because LE was crawling all over that area. I don't see how they would have missed it. Here is a bit of information about the 2005 carjacking in the area:

"About 6 a.m. on Nov. 22, 2005, a gunman tried to carjack Constance Davidson at the Burger King at Exit 5 off Interstate 20. She drove away but he shot at her, wounding her in the back.
As she drove to a gas station for help, the gunman went to the nearby Huddle House parking lot, shooting William L. Powell and the Rev. Earl Carter, who were part of a group of men who met regularly at the restaurant for coffee.
Mr. Powell died, and the Rev. Carter spent weeks in the hospital recovering from his injuries.
An area manhunt expanded into a regional and national one, with agents from the South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division and the FBI joining the search. More than 300 tips came in. Authorities checked out at least 12 suspects - some more than once - but they were all eliminated, police said."

Link to Augusta Chronicle article about 2005 incident:
http://tinyurl.com/2dv47w

Reannan, But no memtion of Erica
I did the underling and bolding of font
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- An update to a story News 12 first broke last night. Investigators are trying to figure out how and why almost a whole skeleton of bones were found in North Augusta.
The bones were located just off Austin Graybill Road. Investigators say this all happening just after 6PM on Wednesday evening.
Forensic investigators from SLED, the Aiken County Sheriff's Office, along with the North Augusta Department of Public Safety and Richmond County Investigators, looking deep in the woods in North Augusta; this after investigators say human remains were found on Wednesday evening.
"Sometime has passed by. So, their sifting through things like naturally fallen pine needles, leaves and things like that," says Lt. Tim Pearson with the North Augusta Public Safety.
Lt. Pearson adds, this is a densely wooded area.
"We want to figure out who this is and how they got there," Lt. Pearson.
News 12 has confirmed Richmond County investigators are looking into the possibility the remains are that of Debra Dill.
And over in Aiken County, it's being investigated whether the remains are that of Lisa Shuttleworth. The Sheriff's Office says she's the only active missing person in the county.
"Once they put all the pieces of the puzzle together, hopefully that'll tell us what happened," says Lt. Pearson.
Investigators will be comparing the bones to all missing persons in the area. The Aiken County Coroner saying it appears the body is a female. But an autopsy is scheduled for Friday in Newberry to confirm the speculation.
There, the bones will be examined for unusual trauma and dental comparisons.
Lt. Pearson stresses, this is a slow process. "TV; it all happens in an hour. Not the case here. We're slow. Very methodical."
The Coroner says he's not sure how many bones were collected, but that it was almost a whole skeleton found in the woods.
Stick with News 12 for the latest in this investigation.

Debra Dill is looking like a good match. She allegedly disappeared form her home after an argument with her husband on March 24, 2006. He never reported her as missing because they had argued, and she had threatened to leave. He left their home, and when he returned she was gone......so he says. Her other family eventually reported her missing, but I believe it was after a period of about a month. The bones they found just could not have been in that area for a long period of time. It is too close to lots of traffic, both on foot and by vehicle. The woods where the body was found are really not very deep, and they back up to areas that are currently being heavily developed, so I would imagine they have been walked over by real estate people and construction people. Here is a link to some interesting information about John Dill, Debra's husband:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/060106/met_83680.shtml

"Investigators have learned the husband of a missing woman searched the Internet for information about the rate of decomposition and how to handle interrogations and polygraphs." storyPhotos();

Well, apparently, the autopsy hasn't proven to be very helpful:

"An autopsy was conducted Monday on human bones found in North Augusta last week, but authorities still don't know the identity of the body.
Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said that the autopsy results were inconclusive and that follow-up testing would have to be done."

There is only a snipet in the Augusta Chronicle this am. The article also says that the autopsy has not even confirmed the gender of the remains.
I haven't seen any mention about the dental records from Debra Dill yet.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/111307/met_152234.shtml

From www.wrdw.com
I did the underlining

News 12
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- Autopsy results on the skeleton found in North Augusta last week are inconclusive according to Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton.
Richmond County Sheriff's Office confirms the remains are not those of missing Augusta woman Deborah Dill. Dill's dental records were the only dental records the Sheriff's Office had sent to be looked at in the case at this point.
Investigators cannot confirm at this time if the remains are in fact female, as originally thought.
Carlton says the next step will be a follow up test and evaluation of the remains by a Forensic Pathologist and Odontologist. The follow up test will be used to determine what characteristics are needed to make a positive identification of the remains.
No date for the follow up examination is set at this point.
The badly decomposed skeletal remains were found Tuesday, November 6, in some woods of off Austin Graybill Road in North Augusta after a father and son were riding bikes through the woods looking for collectables.
Stay tuned to News 12 for the latest developments in this investigation today on News 12 First at Five and News 12 at 6 o'clock.

Ok then.....back to the drawing board! It will certainly be beneficial to know if it is male or female that we are looking for!

I hope they will release more info soon. I am still looking for missing women in our area. Chronicle is reporting also remains may be a women. Also, I have not forgotten to check Columbia and surrounding area. We still have I believe her name was Dail missing from Columbia I think after a concert.

Raine, you're thinking of Dail Dinwiddie, went missing after a U2 concert in 1992, see my sig line below.

I hope Lisa Shuttleworth's family will send her dental records. This could be her.

The forensic pathologists should be able to give an estimate of how old the bones are. From, that it would narrow down the search from who went missing and when. Also certain types of terrain, or times of year may escalate the decomposition process.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back