GUILTY AZ - Robin Satinsky, 89, Sahuarita, 30 Oct 2007

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/stories/KMSB_20071107_ab_missingwoman.1eaf2ceee.html

November 7, 2007

Sahuarita Police are looking for a man who they say is not considered a suspect, but may have been the last person to see 89-year-old Robin F. Satinsky.

A welfare check request was received by police on November 5, although Satinsky has not been seen since October 30. She is said to be in the early stages of dementia.

The missing woman’s friends told police Satinsky may have been giving a Native American man identified only as “Ed” golf lessons in exchange for yard work at her residence. Her friends also say she had been giving the man lessons for at least one year.

According to a media release from Sahuarita Police, Ed also may have told people he taught violin lessons on the San Xavier reservation.
Ed is described as being between 45 and 50 years old, standing about 5”1’ tall and weighing about 125 pounds. Ed also has medium-length dark hair and drives a small tan or beige truck.

Sahuarita Police began working with Tucson Police after Satinsky’s vehicle was found in the parking lot of a shopping center on 12th Avenue and Valencia Road.

Anyone with information on Ed or Satinsky’s whereabouts is asked to call Detective Bunting at (520) 648-7746.

pics of Robin and her vehicle

M_IMAGE.11432118fbd.93.88.fa.d0.1e5bb27c6.jpg

M_IMAGE.11432118fbd.93.88.fa.d0.1e5ba5c74.jpg

M_IMAGE.11432118fbd.93.88.fa.d0.1eb0eaf5d.jpg

http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/stories/KMSB_20071115_ab_sahuaritamissing.8a6e936.html

15 Nov 07

New leads have been developed in the case of a missing Sahuarita woman but police are still looking for more information.

Robin F. Satinsky, 89, was last seen on October 30 although the Sahuarita Police Department received a welfare check request for her on November 5. She may be in the early stages of dementia.

Detectives have spoken to witnesses who say they saw a woman on the northbound exit ramp of Sahuarita Road and Interstate 19 on the afternoon of the last day she was seen. Witnesses also said she may have been asking for direction to the Tucson area.

Police would like to speak to anyone who may have seen Satinsky on the freeway or in the area of 12th Avenue and Valencia Road, where her car was found on the morning of November 7.

Satinsky has hazel eyes, gray hair with light streaks, is about 5'5" tall and weighs about 125 pounds.

Anyone with further information is asked to call 88-CRIME or Sahuarita Police at (520) 648-7746.

pic
M_IMAGE.1163daadc82.93.88.fa.d0.8b4c818.jpg

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=7434351&nav=14RT

30 Nov 07

She may be 89 years old, but Robin Satinsky has a lot going for her. She lives on her own, still drives and really does quite well for herself in most respects. At least, that's what people said about her up until last month.

The Sahuarita woman's been missing since October 30th.

It's been exactly one month since Satinsky was last seen at a Green Valley gas station just off of I-19. At this point, police have no idea what to make of her disappearance--only that they aren't ruling out anything...and that time is definitely becoming a factor.

more at link, incl pic

The link is not working for me. :(

Salem

Weird! I just clicked on it and it worked for me. Here is the first paragraph in the story.

Cops: Bones found near I-19 indicate homicide

arizona daily star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 06.07.2008

http://gcirm.tucson.gcion.com/RealM...250_2[1].gif/31386666333036353438353364336230

Human skeletal remains were found in a plastic bag in a wash off Interstate 19 Friday morning, and investigators are treating the death as a homicide, police said.
A motorist who broke down along northbound I-19, about a mile and a half north of Sahuarita Road, discovered the remains and called authorities at about 10 a.m., said Officer Sam Almodova, a spokesman for the Sahuarita Police Department.
"Because of the way the body was found, that's given us reason to believe we have to start this as a homicide investigation," Al-modova said.

Maybe my browser doesn't like Arizona news?????

Neither link works for me. I'm thinking it might be my pop up blocker, but its not giving me the usual message. Oh well.

Because the bones were in a plastic bag, I'm thinking this could be anyone that disappeared along the I-19 route?

Salem

Maybe my browser doesn't like Arizona news?????

Neither link works for me. I'm thinking it might be my pop up blocker, but its not giving me the usual message. Oh well.

Because the bones were in a plastic bag, I'm thinking this could be anyone that disappeared along the I-19 route?

Salem

I found the story also at
http://www.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=860331

". . . TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) _ Sahuarita police say a motorist waiting for a tow truck along Interstate 19 south of Tucson found a bag filled with human remains. . . ."

and also at
http://www.kpho.com/news/16542525/detail.html

". . .TUCSON, Ariz. -- A motorist waiting for a tow truck along Interstate 19 south of Tucson found a bag filled with human remains, Sahuarita police said. . . ."

I hope this helps.

Doc - THANK YOU! :blowkiss:
Both links worked for me! I meant to go google it myself, but forgot to copy the highway number and then got sidetracked.

Thanks,

Salem

Murder suspect accused of car theft in 2005
By Philip Franchine, Sahuarita Sun
Published: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:56 PM MDT

Edward Terrazas Villa, 63, of Tucson, faces an arraignment tomorrow in Pima County Justice Court after being indicted by a grand jury on charges of first-degree murder, kidnapping and third-degree burglary in connection with the death of Robin F. Satinsky, 89. The victim was described as being in the early stages of dementia and disappeared from her home in October 2007.

Villa was a handyman and ran errands for Satinsky.

He also was indicted for the unlawful use of a motor vehicle for allegedly taking Satinsky’s car in 2005, Deputy County Attorney Richard Wintory said. In the 2005 case, Satinsky reported the vehicle stolen and police arrested Villa in it several weeks later, Wintory said.

At tomorrow’s arraignment, it is expected a not guilty plea will be entered on behalf of Villa and a defense lawyer will be appointed for him. It is expected that a court date, likely in about 55 days, will be set for a case management conference.

Villa was arrested on Sept. 16, made his first court appearance on Sept. 26 and is being held on $250,000 bail.

Cause of death: Asphyxiation

The autopsy, which was obtained by the Sahuarita Sun through a public records request, lists as the cause of death asphyxiation and says her nose and mouth were bound by duct tape, and duct tape also was wound around her neck.

The Medical Examiner’s report attributed the death to a homicide and said bones were discovered in a duct-taped black garbage bag along the east side of Interstate 19 at kilometer post 78. Satinsky was pronounced dead at the scene by Sahuarita Police Officer Sam Almodova.

http://www.sahuaritasun.com/articles/2008/10/01/news/news02.txt

Solved:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...e+19&cd=1&hl=fi&ct=clnk&source=www.google.com

Trial begins in Sahuarita murder
By Philip Franchine, Green Valley News
Published: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:38 AM MST

The evidence will show that the man who took Robin Satinsky’s life was the man who took her car. And that man was Edward Terrazas Villa, Deputy County Attorney Richard Wintory told a Superior Court jury on Tuesday.

Public defender Kyle Ipson told the jury during opening arguments that Villa is innocent and did not kill the elderly Sahuarita woman, nor did he kidnap her or steal her car. Ipson said he would show that Villa, 64, a day laborer and handyman, had no motivation to steal the car and that prosecution witnesses cannot say for certain that Villa stole the car.

Satinsky, a collector of rare books and an expert on the history of illustrations, died in late 2007 at age 89 after being abducted from her home, authorities said. Her skeletal remains, wrapped in a plastic garbage bag, were found in summer 2008 off Interstate 19 in Sahuarita, with duct tape on her mouth and feet.

Villa, of Tucson, faces murder, kidnapping, burglary and auto theft charges in connection with Satinsky’s death.

He met Satinsky on a golf course in late 2003 or early 2004, he took golf lessons from her and they remained friends even after he was arrested in 2005 for stealing her car. He said he had borrowed it with her permission but kept it a few days longer than he was supposed to, Ipson said.

During opening statements Tuesday, both sides agreed there were no witnesses to Satinsky’s disappearance from her home around Oct. 30, 2007, when she failed to call her daughter, Ruth Satinsky-Sieber, on Ruth’s birthday. Satinsky’s home was locked and there was no sign of a struggle or other disturbance, Wintory said.

Another WS thread:
Found Deceased AZ - Robin F. Satinsky, 89, Sahuarita, 30 Oct 2007 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Before she was found:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nsky&cd=3&hl=fi&ct=clnk&source=www.google.com

The case remains active, with Detective Steve Bunting, among others, working the investigation. Stories from various friends and neighbors and personal information have been gathered. There are those who remember seeing an older, white-haired woman standing at the Interstate 19 and Sahuarita Road overpass, asking directions from passing motorists on how to get to Tucson.

“We have been working intensely with family, friends and all of the community to discover what happened to Robin Satinsky,” Bunting said. “We are requesting anyone who may have stopped to assist this person found on the northbound off-ramp on Oct. 31, to please contact the Sahuarita Police Department.”

This traffic incident began and ended between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Halloween morning. A passing off duty Border Patrol officer was among those that saw this woman, and decided to double back to see if he could help. By then, the woman was gone from the busy highway interchange. Could it have been Satinsky?

Robin Satinsky moved to Sahuarita in 1998, after her husband died. Robin and her daughter, Ruth Satinsky, are on the title of the home, which sits on a good-sized lot that backs up to the copper mine hills. Neighbors are close, but not that close.

The Satinskys were serious collectors of fine art and rare books. The rare book collection was so well-known that Robin was a continuing reference point for the University of Arizona library, helping them build their own collection, as well as offering her own rare pieces for various library exhibitions. It was the good friendship Satinsky had with a woman from the University of Arizona library that began this narrative that has not yet ended.
My aunt was a very intelligent, loving, giving woman. She was an art historian, an avid golfer probably till her dying day,” Satinsky’s niece, Jan Laurito, wrote in an e-mail interview from New Jersey.

“She led a most interesting life. The loss is great. My heart aches to think of what has happened to someone so strong and independent.”

Satinsky was last seen in October 2007. Her body was found in a wash near Interstate 19 almost two miles north of Sahuarita Road on June 6, 2008, by a motorcyclist waiting for a tow truck. She was 89.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nsky&cd=4&hl=fi&ct=clnk&source=www.google.com

Posted: Nov 5, 2009 12:13 PM
Updated: Nov 5, 2009 12:26 PM

http://www.kvoa.com/news/villa-sentenced-to-life-in-murder-of-robin-satinsky/
TUCSON - A man accused of killing a Sahuarita woman was sentenced to life today.

Edward Villa received life without the possibility of parole for 25 years, with credit for 416 days of pre-sentence incarnation.

He was also sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for burglary in the third degree and 1.5 years on a charge of unlawful use of means of transportation. The sentencings will be served consecutively.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back