1207 users online (212 members and 995 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 112
  1. #1
    Seven's Avatar
    Seven is offline 1984 All Over Again:The Collective Rules
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,191

    Los Angeles City Council Bans N-Word

    November 9, 2007

    "The Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved a resolution Friday that symbolically bans the n-word in Los Angeles, in the latest effort to stop people from using the epithet in any context. . . .

    City Council President Eric Garcetti said that while Americans have the right of free speech, responsible citizens also have a right to say "it still burns and you're wrong to use it no matter what context. . . .

    . . . New York City's City Council passed a similar resolution Feb. 28, and the NAACP held a public burial for the word July 9, with a coffin placed at Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery with a headstone. . . . "


    http://www.knbc.com/news/14553868/de...ss=la&psp=news

    Resistance is futile!
    You will be assimilated!
    By the Collective!

  2. #2
    Wow! I'm speechless.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    ~ Albert Einstein ~

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    This is going to put a hitch in the lyrics of many rap artists.

    I'm no fan of using language that hurts people, but I'm even less of a fan of banning any language.
    Last edited by southcitymom; 11-10-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    45
    It saddens me. Don't get me wrong i'll be glad the word is not being used publicly for it is degrading and wrong to use. Although it should not be limited to not degrading one race. That is saying its okay to degrade any other race with a bad name and that is just as wrong. That is not what saddens me though. What saddens me is its okay to curse God all day long. How can someone who calls themself a servant of God sleep at night knowing they stopped people from calling them a wrong thing but has done nothing to protect the name of God. I would say call me what you want just don't curse my God. Seems to me it is thinking more highly of themselves than God and that is what saddens me. I think when you have the title reverend that should mean something more and that protecting the name of God should take first place, not protecting the name callings of man. If you can call God anything then why should anyone else be protected from it. Certainly no one is better than God. Its a sad day.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    Oh I just thought of a few more.. Pig and cow.. yup, we all know what that means and I'm not taking about the barn animals.


    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    23,626
    Darn, they just cut Dog's vocabulary in half.....................

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,403
    The thought police are at it again...they don't think society can adequately root out and shun people using offensive language? Geesh! Very scary!

    I'll put together a list and send it their way of other words they need to include....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1 View Post
    Darn, they just cut Dog's vocabulary in half.....................
    Yep,Chris Rocks'comedy routine is in trouble too lol.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,003
    I am scared to post this after reading through everyones thought, BUT I think it is a good thing. There is not one good thing that comes from using this word.

    From the link above..

    The council listened to a half-hour of public comments and then discussed the resolution for another half-hour before voting on the ban. No one spoke in defense of using the n-word.

    Getting out of here quickly.....LOL

  10. #10
    Seven's Avatar
    Seven is offline 1984 All Over Again:The Collective Rules
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    This is going to put a hitch in the lyrics of many rap artists.

    I'm no fan of using language that hurts people, but I even less of a fan of banning any language.
    Exactly. While preventing (supposedly) onstage antics like those of Michael Richard, it would also prevent the onstage antics of commedians and singers who use the n-word as part of their acts.

    No wonder the LA mayor has been talking lately about adding 1,000 officers to the LAPD!

    Resistance is futile!
    You will be assimilated!
    By the Collective!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Gal View Post
    I am scared to post this after reading through everyones thought, BUT I think it is a good thing. There is not one good thing that comes from using this word.

    From the link above..

    The council listened to a half-hour of public comments and then discussed the resolution for another half-hour before voting on the ban. No one spoke in defense of using the n-word.

    Getting out of here quickly.....LOL
    I'm not speaking in defense of the N word either, but to ban just that word when there are plenty of others in its category - that's silly. And if they ban this one word, you'd better believe others will follow and that's a slippery slope I can never ever get behind!

    Just wait until one day you can't refer to your husband as your husband because the word husband represents man's oppression over women through the ages.

    Nope - no banning of words. As another person said - it's the thought police out to tell us what to think and say and feel and wear and etc...etc...and I just hate that stuff!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Exactly. While preventing (supposedly) onstage antics like those of Michael Richard, it would also prevent the onstage antics of commedians and singers who use the n-word as part of their acts.

    No wonder the LA mayor has been talking lately about adding 1,000 officers to the LAPD!
    Right! Why would anyone want to prevent Michael Richard from saying what he said? I think public reaction took care of that in fairly short order - we don't need a law to stop bozos from saying bozo things.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by tlstcb View Post
    It saddens me. Don't get me wrong i'll be glad the word is not being used publicly for it is degrading and wrong to use. Although it should not be limited to not degrading one race. That is saying its okay to degrade any other race with a bad name and that is just as wrong. That is not what saddens me though. What saddens me is its okay to curse God all day long. How can someone who calls themself a servant of God sleep at night knowing they stopped people from calling them a wrong thing but has done nothing to protect the name of God. I would say call me what you want just don't curse my God. Seems to me it is thinking more highly of themselves than God and that is what saddens me. I think when you have the title reverend that should mean something more and that protecting the name of God should take first place, not protecting the name callings of man. If you can call God anything then why should anyone else be protected from it. Certainly no one is better than God. Its a sad day.
    Many people consider "God" an imaginary being. Why should they follow restrictions on what He is called? To them, you might as well offer legal protections to Santa Claus and the Easter bunny.

    To many of the rest of us, God is the creator of an infinite universe; He certainly doesn't sit around worrying about what you or I call Him.

    Although I don't like this ordinance for the reason southcitymom set out above, the issue isn't "words that may upset people." There are a lot of those. The issue is the unique and terrible use to which the "N-word" has been put in our culture, and the very real damage done with it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll View Post
    Well now, if we are going to ban the N word, then we also need to ban "white trash.. *****... cu*t..whore and a few others that I can't think of at this moment. I hate name calling but I don't think words should be banned like that.
    I agree. No words should be banned. When something like this starts....who draws the line? I hate nasty words..but we are opening ourselves up for censorship big time.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Gal View Post
    ...... There is not one good thing that comes from using this word. ......
    Not to pick on you, Indy - I respect your opinion although mine is different. But, there is excellent art (music, plays, short stories, poems) out there that uses the N word to great effect and goodness.

    There's even a fascinating book called "N*****" which discusses the history of the word.

    I agree with Nova that this word has been used to cause great harm in society, but so has the word "God" and I'm not for banning that one either.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-17-2015, 03:46 AM
  2. AZ-Huachuca City bans sex offenders from public facilities
    By peeples in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
  3. GUILTY LA - Oliver Thomas, city councilman, for accepting a bribe, New Orleans, 2002
    By Toby in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 04:25 PM