Los Angeles City Council Bans N-Word

Seven

1984 All Over Again:The Collective Rules
Reaction score
November 9, 2007

"The Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved a resolution Friday that symbolically bans the n-word in Los Angeles, in the latest effort to stop people from using the epithet in any context. . . .

City Council President Eric Garcetti said that while Americans have the right of free speech, responsible citizens also have a right to say "it still burns and you're wrong to use it no matter what context. . . .

. . . New York City's City Council passed a similar resolution Feb. 28, and the NAACP held a public burial for the word July 9, with a coffin placed at Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery with a headstone. . . . "

http://www.knbc.com/news/14553868/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news

This is going to put a hitch in the lyrics of many rap artists.

I'm no fan of using language that hurts people, but I'm even less of a fan of banning any language.

It saddens me. Don't get me wrong i'll be glad the word is not being used publicly for it is degrading and wrong to use. Although it should not be limited to not degrading one race. That is saying its okay to degrade any other race with a bad name and that is just as wrong. That is not what saddens me though. What saddens me is its okay to curse God all day long. How can someone who calls themself a servant of God sleep at night knowing they stopped people from calling them a wrong thing but has done nothing to protect the name of God. I would say call me what you want just don't curse my God. Seems to me it is thinking more highly of themselves than God and that is what saddens me. I think when you have the title reverend that should mean something more and that protecting the name of God should take first place, not protecting the name callings of man. If you can call God anything then why should anyone else be protected from it. Certainly no one is better than God. Its a sad day.

Oh I just thought of a few more.. Pig and cow.. yup, we all know what that means and I'm not taking about the barn animals.

The thought police are at it again...they don't think society can adequately root out and shun people using offensive language? Geesh! Very scary!

I'll put together a list and send it their way of other words they need to include....

I am scared to post this after reading through everyones thought, BUT I think it is a good thing. There is not one good thing that comes from using this word.

From the link above..

The council listened to a half-hour of public comments and then discussed the resolution for another half-hour before voting on the ban. No one spoke in defense of using the n-word.

Getting out of here quickly.....LOL

This is going to put a hitch in the lyrics of many rap artists.

I'm no fan of using language that hurts people, but I even less of a fan of banning any language.

Exactly. While preventing (supposedly) onstage antics like those of Michael Richard, it would also prevent the onstage antics of commedians and singers who use the n-word as part of their acts.

No wonder the LA mayor has been talking lately about adding 1,000 officers to the LAPD! :eek:

I am scared to post this after reading through everyones thought, BUT I think it is a good thing. There is not one good thing that comes from using this word.

From the link above..

The council listened to a half-hour of public comments and then discussed the resolution for another half-hour before voting on the ban. No one spoke in defense of using the n-word.

Getting out of here quickly.....LOL

I'm not speaking in defense of the N word either, but to ban just that word when there are plenty of others in its category - that's silly. And if they ban this one word, you'd better believe others will follow and that's a slippery slope I can never ever get behind!

Just wait until one day you can't refer to your husband as your husband because the word husband represents man's oppression over women through the ages.

Nope - no banning of words. As another person said - it's the thought police out to tell us what to think and say and feel and wear and etc...etc...and I just hate that stuff!

Exactly. While preventing (supposedly) onstage antics like those of Michael Richard, it would also prevent the onstage antics of commedians and singers who use the n-word as part of their acts.

No wonder the LA mayor has been talking lately about adding 1,000 officers to the LAPD! :eek:

Right! Why would anyone want to prevent Michael Richard from saying what he said? I think public reaction took care of that in fairly short order - we don't need a law to stop bozos from saying bozo things.

It saddens me. Don't get me wrong i'll be glad the word is not being used publicly for it is degrading and wrong to use. Although it should not be limited to not degrading one race. That is saying its okay to degrade any other race with a bad name and that is just as wrong. That is not what saddens me though. What saddens me is its okay to curse God all day long. How can someone who calls themself a servant of God sleep at night knowing they stopped people from calling them a wrong thing but has done nothing to protect the name of God. I would say call me what you want just don't curse my God. Seems to me it is thinking more highly of themselves than God and that is what saddens me. I think when you have the title reverend that should mean something more and that protecting the name of God should take first place, not protecting the name callings of man. If you can call God anything then why should anyone else be protected from it. Certainly no one is better than God. Its a sad day.

Many people consider "God" an imaginary being. Why should they follow restrictions on what He is called? To them, you might as well offer legal protections to Santa Claus and the Easter bunny.

To many of the rest of us, God is the creator of an infinite universe; He certainly doesn't sit around worrying about what you or I call Him.

Although I don't like this ordinance for the reason southcitymom set out above, the issue isn't "words that may upset people." There are a lot of those. The issue is the unique and terrible use to which the "N-word" has been put in our culture, and the very real damage done with it.

Well now, if we are going to ban the N word, then we also need to ban "white trash.. ... cu*t..*advertiser censored* and a few others that I can't think of at this moment. I hate name calling but I don't think words should be banned like that. :twocents:
I agree. No words should be banned. When something like this starts....who draws the line? I hate nasty words..but we are opening ourselves up for censorship big time. :doh:

...... There is not one good thing that comes from using this word. ......

Not to pick on you, Indy - I respect your opinion although mine is different. But, there is excellent art (music, plays, short stories, poems) out there that uses the N word to great effect and goodness.

There's even a fascinating book called "N*****" which discusses the history of the word.

I agree with Nova that this word has been used to cause great harm in society, but so has the word "God" and I'm not for banning that one either.

Not to pick on you, Indy - I respect your opinion although mine is different. But, there is excellent art (music, plays, short stories, poems) out there that uses the N word to great effect and goodness.

There's even a fascinating book called "N*****" which discusses the history of the word.

I agree with Nova that this word has been used to cause great harm in society, but so has the word "God" and I'm not for banning that one either.
Good post SCM.

I am totally seeing what you are saying and in that way no I wouldnt want it banned but I think they are trying to stop all the hate that comes with the word. I really cant put into words what I am trying to say (you know I suck at that..LOL) While yes that word can be used in good, I never hear it as good. I only hear it used as a hate word. Maybe it depends on where you live? Maybe if it was used as the meaning of the word really means, then no. But I would guess that most of the time it isnt used in that context.

Sorry all to disagree, I really do respect most of your opinions here. I myself just dont think that word has a place in our world anymore. But I guess the best thing to say is I just agree to disagree :)

Okay so I am really trying here and put the word into google. These are the first things to pop up in my search.

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2420/Nigger_the_word_a_brief_history
No other American surname carries as much purposeful cruelty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/

Wish I was cool like some of you and could figure out how to make a link into something else so I dont have to see the word. The first link tells a lot about how and why the word is used. I am reading now.

That first link says it all, my feelings on why it should be banned. Very good reading although it is tough to get through.

N.Y. Considers Anti-Noose Legislation

State Senate Approves Bill Making It A Felony To Use Threatening Symbol

(CBS/AP) New York state lawmakers Monday took a step toward making it a felony to etch, draw, paint or otherwise displaying a noose or an image of a noose, typically used to send a threatening racial message.

"We won't tolerate this," said Sen. Dean G. Skelos, a Long Island Republican who sponsored the measure that passed Monday in the Senate. "There is no place for racism and intimidation in America and this rash of incidents clearly demonstrates the need for tough new penalties."

The bill is sponsored in the Democrat-led Assembly by Rules Committee Chairman Joseph Lentol of Brooklyn. The Assembly may convene Tuesday and could consider the bill. There was no immediate comment from the Assembly.

Monday's Senate vote came as New York City police said a black high school teacher in Brooklyn had been targeted with a letter containing racial slurs and a string tied into a noose.

The 44-year-old teacher at Canarsie High School told police she received the letter and the noose through the mail. Police say they have no suspects.

The discovery is among a number of recent incidents involving symbols of lynchings in the Old South

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/23/national/main3396294.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_3396294

N.Y. Considers Anti-Noose Legislation

State Senate Approves Bill Making It A Felony To Use Threatening Symbol

(CBS/AP) New York state lawmakers Monday took a step toward making it a felony to etch, draw, paint or otherwise displaying a noose or an image of a noose, typically used to send a threatening racial message.

"We won't tolerate this," said Sen. Dean G. Skelos, a Long Island Republican who sponsored the measure that passed Monday in the Senate. "There is no place for racism and intimidation in America and this rash of incidents clearly demonstrates the need for tough new penalties."

The bill is sponsored in the Democrat-led Assembly by Rules Committee Chairman Joseph Lentol of Brooklyn. The Assembly may convene Tuesday and could consider the bill. There was no immediate comment from the Assembly.

Monday's Senate vote came as New York City police said a black high school teacher in Brooklyn had been targeted with a letter containing racial slurs and a string tied into a noose.

The 44-year-old teacher at Canarsie High School told police she received the letter and the noose through the mail. Police say they have no suspects.

The discovery is among a number of recent incidents involving symbols of lynchings in the Old South

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/23/national/main3396294.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_3396294

Good find. Will there be an exception for enterprise Haunted Houses? What about movies or other forms of art that show this? Will we burn all the books with pictures of men hanging in them? Will Pirates of the Carribeann Part III be banned from theatres and the directors charged with a felony the in the wake of this bill (law?!)? Is wearing a cross around your neck next in line for banning - we all know that's today's equivalent of wearing an electric chair around your neck?

I would rather us put our considerable mental, emotional, spiritual and legal resources towards real change in the arena of racisim - we can do so much better than hollow bills and banning of words.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back