CA CA - Sandra Kerby, 52, Fresno, 10 July 1999

Rle7

Reaction score
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: July 10, 1999 from Fresno, California

Classification: Endangered Missing

Date Of Birth: October 20, 1946

Height and Weight: 5'5, 140 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Sandra's ears are pierced. Her nickname is Sandy. Some agencies may spell her last name "Kirby."

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A brown shirt, brown plaid shorts, a gold necklace, a gold wedding band, and a gold Seiko watch with a brown leather band.

bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Sandra was last seen in Fresno, California on July 10, 1999. She was leaving her daughter's residence in the 1600 block of DeYoung to go shopping at approximately 11:30 a.m. Sandra was driving her white 1993 Ford Explorer, which was discovered abandoned in front of a Target store in the parking lot of the River Park Shopping Center, within walking distance of her home, two days afterwards. Sandra's purse and the vehicle's keys were found inside it. The driver's seat had been adjusted for someone much taller than her height. There was no sign of her near the car and she has never been heard from again. Sandra's relatives told authorities that it is very uncharacteristic of her to leave without contacting her loved ones.

Sandra was employed as a teacher at Gibson Elementary School in Fresno in 1999. She was married to Frank Ray Kerby, who was employed by the Kerman Unified School District in California. Authorities stated that Frank gave conflicting statements about his wife's disappearance and has refused to cooperate with the investigation since its initial stages. He claims he was in Fresno on the day Sandra disappeared, but that day a call was made from his cellular phone in Reedley, California.

Investigators obtained a search warrant for the couple's residence in January 2000, six months after Sandra vanished. Authorities seized a computer, files and personal records from the home. Sandra's diary entries indicate that she knew her husband was having an affair. Officials told Sandra's family that they reclassified her case as that of a homicide in February 2000 due to the circumstances involved in her disappearance. There have not been any arrests in connection with Sandra's case. Investigators are not calling Frank a suspect, but he has not been ruled out either. He proposed marriage to his girlfriend just days after Sandra went missing.

Human remains were discovered along a road in Fresno County in August 1999, approximately one month after Sandra disappeared. Several media outlets announced that the body was believed to be her remains, but authorities said that her dental records did not match the victim's. In 2006, Frank filed to have Sandra declared legally dead. Her mother fought the petition, but it was granted in February 2006. Frank stated he had his wife declared dead so he could get the title to their home. Sandra's case remains unsolved and she is considered to be missing under suspicious circumstances.

bar.jpg

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Fresno Police Department
559-498-1414
bar.jpg
Source Information

California Attorney General's Office
Valley CrimeStoppers
The Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation
The Fresno Bee
The Child Seek Network
The Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Foundation
KFSN-TV

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kerby_sandra.html

It's been eight-years since a Fresno elementary school teacher disappeared.

Sandra Kerby was last seen on July 10th, 1999, leaving her daughter's Fresno home. The 52 year old woman's car was found a few days later in north Fresno, but Kerby has never been found.

In 2006, a Fresno judge declared Kerby dead, at the request of her husband, Frank Kerby.

Fresno police say he is a person of interest in his wife's disappearance.

http://www.ksee24.com/Story.aspx?type=ln&NStoryID=7083

From above link:

Sandra was last seen in Fresno, California on July 10, 1999. She was leaving her daughter's residence in the 1600 block of DeYoung to go shopping at approximately 11:30 a.m. Sandra was driving her white 1993 Ford Explorer, which was discovered abandoned in front of a Target store in the parking lot of the River Park Shopping Center, within walking distance of her home, two days afterwards. Sandra's purse and the vehicle's keys were found inside it. The driver's seat had been adjusted for someone much taller than her height. There was no sign of her near the car and she has never been heard from again. Sandra's relatives told authorities that it is very uncharacteristic of her to leave without contacting her loved ones.

Sandra was employed as a teacher at Gibson Elementary School in Fresno in 1999. She was married to Frank Ray Kerby, who was employed by the Kerman Unified School District in California. Authorities stated that Frank gave conflicting statements about his wife's disappearance and has refused to cooperate with the investigation since its initial stages. He claims he was in Fresno on the day Sandra disappeared, but that day a call was made from his cellular phone in Reedley, California.
<more at link>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So what will it take to put the SOB who obviously killed her and sucessfully hid her body behind bars? :behindbar :behindbar :behindbar

It has been 10 years since Sandra went missing.

The Gibson Elementary School teacher was last seen leaving her daughter's home near Woodward Park in Northeast Fresno. Investigator&#8217;s say that Kerby left her daughter's residence around 11:30 a.m. just prior to he shopping.

Four days later Police found Kerby&#8217;s white 1994 Ford Explorer in the parking lot of the Target store at the then Marketplace at River Park &#8212; a distance less than one mile from where she was last seen. Police say that the car was parked legally in front of the store, so there was no immediate reason to contact police. Additionally, police said there were no indications of foul play when the car was discovered by a Target employee.

Inside the abandoned vehicle police found Kerby&#8217;s purse and keys, but Kerby&#8217;s body has yet to be found.

Still, ten years later her family holds out hope that police will solve the her disappearance.

Shearman said that just days before her disappearance, Sandra told her she planned to file for divorce from her husband Frank Kerby. In response, Shearman believes Frank killed her.

&#8220;If he divorced her, he would have killed her anyhow,&#8221; Shearman said. &#8220;He's just the guy that, she wouldn't have gotten away from him. He would have followed her anywhere and killed her.&#8221;

However, police say they do not consider Sandra&#8217;s husband a suspect, but have listed him as a person of interest. Police also say that the case is still open, and that it is not too late for new leads.
In 2006 at the request of her husband, a Fresno judge officially declared Kerby dead. The ruling was not labeled a homicide. In addition, Frank Kerby petitioned a Fresno County Court so he can obtain sole ownership of the couple's Woodward Park-area home.

http://www.cbs47.tv/news/local/story/Ten-Year-Anniversary-Still-Missing/S7hQBcTk2EWkAFRZOMhoCQ.cspx

image.aspx

How awful!!! I feel so terrible for her family! :-( I used to live in Fresno and there are a lot of murders there...

I wonder what her husband is doing these days? Did he have a woman on the side? There is so little info on this case!

Sandra Lynn Kerby The Charley Project

Missing Since: July 10, 1999 from Fresno California

Endangered Missing

DOB: Oct. 20, 1946

Caucasion female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Sandra's ears are pierced. Her nickname is Sandy. Some agencies spell her last name 'Kirby'

If you have any information concerning this case please contact:

Fresno Police Dept.

559-498-1414

I used to live in Fresno, and I am familiar with this shopping center. At the time of her disappearance, I remember that it was reported that there was a shopping bag from Marshall's (I think it was Marshall's) in the car with items that she had just purchased that day. Marshall's is in the same shopping center.

I wonder if she shopped, went to her car, put her purse and shopping bag in the car, but then noticed that someone she knew pulled up behind, or next to her in the lot. I wonder if she then shut the door to the car and started to speak with someone (I do this to keep that annoying buzzing sound from going off when the door is opened-if my keys are in the ignition), then was grabbed?

I also noticed that her husband's cell phone was traced to Reedley. Reedley is not at all far from the foothills of the Sierras. It has a lot of open land and forested areas nearby. It's also nowhere near Kerman, where he worked. I wonder why he was in Reedley?

I'm glad to see there's a thread for Sandra. I've thought of this case often over the years, and I've always felt so sad for her daughters (she had two adult daughters).

:bump:

Fourteen years later, and still no Sandra. :(

Snipped:

Sandra was last seen in Fresno, California on July 10, 1999. She was leaving her daughter's residence in the 1600 block of DeYoung to go shopping at approximately 11:30 a.m. Sandra was driving her white 1993 Ford Explorer, which was discovered abandoned in front of a Target store in the parking lot of the River Park Shopping Center, within walking distance of her home, two days afterwards. Sandra's purse and the vehicle's keys were found inside it. The driver's seat had been adjusted for someone much taller than her height. There was no sign of her near the car and she has never been heard from again.

kerby_sandra3.jpg

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=9168521

Fresno cold case continues to stump investigators - FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It's a disappearance that's stumped some of the Valley's best criminal investigators for more than a decade.

A Fresno school teacher gone without a trace. Fresno police believe they know what happened to Sandra Kerby. Problem is, they can't prove it.

The popular teacher vanished fourteen years ago. Police say they know someone out there saw something and knows something about the strange circumstances surrounding Sandra's disappearance. And while it's been 14 years they're hoping this will be the year that someone comes forward.

Next Thursday, July 10, marks 15 years since Sandra Lynn Kerby went missing. :( Does Frank Kerby know something?

Snipped:

Investigators obtained a search warrant for the couple's residence in January 2000, six months after Sandra vanished. Authorities seized a computer, files and personal records from the home. Sandra's diary entries indicate that she knew her husband was having an affair. Officials told Sandra's family that they reclassified her case as that of a homicide in February 2000 due to the circumstances involved in her disappearance. There have not been any arrests in connection with Sandra's case. Investigators are not calling Frank a suspect, but he has not been ruled out either. He proposed marriage to his girlfriend just days after Sandra went missing.

kerby_sandra.jpg

2014 article:

It was Chief Greg Garner who realized this case was more than it seemed on the surface. "There was a number of circumstantial pieces of information that we were able to pull together that indicated there may have been foul play involved."

Kerby's Ford Explorer was later found in the Target shopping center at River Park. Her keys and purse locked inside. There've been searches and press conferences and police turned their focus on Sandra's husband Frank Kerby. Homicide detectives who are still working the case today say that focus hasn't changed.

Bartlett Ledbetter said, "We still believe Frank Kerby is a person of interest we'd love to talk to him hopefully he'll come forward and talk to us someday."

Frank Kerby told us he has no comment on the matter and Ledbetter says detectives need new leads and they need to find Sandra.

http://abc30.com/news/fresno-police-confident-theyll-solve-the-sandra-kerby-case/176124/

I think of her often, she deserves justice :(

This one is one that is always on my mind. I grew up in Fresno and I can't drive by that shopping center without thinking about her. I hate that it was most likely her husband but he has gotten away with it. It drives me crazy, I feel like there HAS to be some evidence that ties him to it. I would love for this one to be solved.

I live near by the school she taught.
My neighbor across the street was also a teacher and knew her.

It's been so long, I can't remember all the details. But, he was the only suspect in everyone's mind

When I would drive by the school, they had a big banner across the fence wanting her to come home safely.

Nowadays, nothing is ever said about it. Don't know what Mr. Kerby is doing.
He could be deceased. I can't believe it's been over 20 yrs since this happened.

RIP Mrs. Kerby.

Reactions: mrz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23