778 users online (96 members and 682 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TX - Newborn left at fire station, CPS still not happy

I find this rather infuriating: A newborn baby was left at a far west Houston fire station--although not in the most common spot, still left according to the Baby Moses law in Texas, which says that a mother can leave a child up to 60 days old at a fire station or hospital without repercussions.

The authorities want to question the mother now. CPS says that the child should have been handed over in person.

I think these are ridiculous critical remarks to someone who obviously is in physical and emotional trauma after giving birth, who follows the law by putting the child at the fire station, to then suggest that the bio mother hand off the child in person.

Let's see how hard we can make it for people who feel they can't raise a child, to give up that child.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=5753249

The Baby Moses Law was created so these mothers would not have to answer to CPS/police etc... I hope they leave this mom alone! She chose this path for a reason. I am proud of her for choosing this instead of the alternative we have seen so many times!

Bless the mother who did the right thing and did not harm her baby!

VB

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Quote Originally Posted by Texana View Post
    I find this rather infuriating: A newborn baby was left at a far west Houston fire station--although not in the most common spot, still left according to the Baby Moses law in Texas, which says that a mother can leave a child up to 60 days old at a fire station or hospital without repercussions.

The authorities want to question the mother now. CPS says that the child should have been handed over in person.

I think these are ridiculous critical remarks to someone who obviously is in physical and emotional trauma after giving birth, who follows the law by putting the child at the fire station, to then suggest that the bio mother hand off the child in person.

Let's see how hard we can make it for people who feel they can't raise a child, to give up that child.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=5753249
    Yup, yup! Then act outraged next time a mother kills her child rather than dropping it off in a "safe" place.

I didn't read the article quite the same as some. CPS seemed concerned more about the location where the child was left. Obviously, if a parent leaves the baby where it can be easily seen, then there is an increased chance they will be seen, so the location was out of the beaten path. So CPS seems to be saying they wish the parent would leave the baby directly in the hands of the fire officials, not with CPS. I believe the law prevents the fire officials from asking any questions, but I am sure that a parent in such a circumstance does not rely on that representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
    Bless the mother who did the right thing and did not harm her baby!

VB
    Indeed.

The child could have died, so very easily. I don't think it's useful for CPS to go after the mother at all, in any way - but to give this a lot of publicity to say that you need to give your child to a person, or at the least drop it on the doorstep and ring the bell - something.

Going after this mother though, will make the next mother nervous, maybe too nervous to do the right thing.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    Going after this mother though, will make the next mother nervous, maybe too nervous to do the right thing.
    This is always my concern when I hear stuff like this.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

I understand the concern that the child was left in a not so obvious location.

I think it would be far easier to build into the firemen's routine checking the perimeter of the building twice a day or so, or when opening up the station, rather than expecting a physically and emotionally unwell new mother to think clearly.

Particularly a mother who might have very well hidden her pregnancy.

I just couldn't believe CPS would issue a statement like "We'd like for her to hand the baby over in person." Talk about unrealistic expectations!

Next time, a mother will probably think twice and just abandon the baby or worse. Sometimes i really think DHS workers do more harm than good, they are akin to nazis sometimes.

Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    I agree, Texana. The mother is probably young and scared and possibly hiding her pregnancy. I'm trying to put myself in the mothers shoes. Maybe she placed the baby someplace out of the way for the safety (in her mind) of the baby.

While I can understand CPS reasoning, the child would be exposed to the weather until found, might not be found etc. I can also understand the Mother's reasoning. What do you expect from a baby? That a baby will will cry and that that crying will draw attention.
    The story reminds me of some stories about old orphanages. The had a "drop box" at a gate and a bell. People dropped off the baby in the box, and rang the bell and left. Thus allowing the child to be left safely, and allowing the infant to get immediate attention.
    Still that isn't likely to be done at all fire depts and hospitals across the country.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    While I can understand CPS reasoning, the child would be exposed to the weather until found, might not be found etc. I can also understand the Mother's reasoning. What do you expect from a baby? That a baby will will cry and that that crying will draw attention.
    The story reminds me of some stories about old orphanages. The had a "drop box" at a gate and a bell. People dropped off the baby in the box, and rang the bell and left. Thus allowing the child to be left safely, and allowing the infant to get immediate attention.
    Still that isn't likely to be done at all fire depts and hospitals across the country.
    I read something recently about a place that has a "drop box" type of thing. I'm not sure where it is, but it's in a safe covered spot and is checked frequently. There may even be a video camera inside the box or in the area around the box.

I hope they don't make a huge effort trying to find her, and I hope she doesn't feel compelled to make herself known. She's scared enough right now.

They should be thankful the baby is alive.

I do worry about the mom's health in these cases. If she's not checked out by an ob-gyn, she could have excessive bleeding or get an infection if everything didn't come out with the baby.

This is bullcrap, becuase if CPS gets their hands on this case, there might be a reunification plan in place. The mom did the right thing here. CPS has many other at risk kids they should be worrying about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast