1121 users online (231 members and 890 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Box Jellyfish kills young boy.

Parents are being warned to keep their children out of the water during stinger season after a 6 year old boy died after being stung near the Tiwi Islands north of Darwin.
    The boy collapse and was taken to hospital where staff were unable to revive him

Very sad indeed.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=321973

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    Parents are being warned to keep their children out of the water during stinger season after a 6 year old boy died after being stung near the Tiwi Islands north of Darwin.
    The boy collapse and was taken to hospital where staff were unable to revive him

Very sad indeed.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=321973
    I've watched a documentary on the box jellyfish Dingo; and they are really nasty deadly creatures.

They are Buzz..and they are just another reason why I stay out of the ocean.

They are Buzz..and they are just another reason why I stay out of the ocean.
    Since the stinger season runs "October through May," I think you're wise, Dingo. Very sad indeed. Sounds like a horrible way to die.

That's terrible news--very sad--prayers to his family

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Since the stinger season runs "October through May," I think you're wise, Dingo. Very sad indeed. Sounds like a horrible way to die.
    Theres far too many bitey things in our waters for me to ever feel comfortable about going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    That's terrible news--very sad--prayers to his family
    I didn't read the article but if he died quickly, it was merciful. The box jellyfish poison is very peristent and the documentary showed victims who went through ten days of pure hell, and lived to tell about it.

Oh, dingo, how sad! I have to say that I have never even heard of a box jellyfish.

I've been stung a fair few times by the little ones in the ocean off the coast of SC. When I was 10 or 11 a good friend of mine was swimming in the ocean off Seabrook Island, SC where we were in summer camp. She was stung by the tentacle of a large Man-of-War on her uppper right arm. She was okay, but the scarring was brutal - and it's just as bad today - some 30 years later.

Prayers for this little boy's family. My heart breaks for anyone who perishes at the hand of the ocean - so beautiful and so deadly.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Hi South..it is a very sad and sensless death.

Oh this is so sad! I feel for this poor family.

I've been stung by the Portugese Man-O-Wars in Hawaii many times, and they hurt! In fact they were so painful that the last couple years I lived in Hawaii it was hard to get me anywhere near the water. I was allergic to the sting and it made me swell something horrible.

Poor little guy. How terrible. Praying for his parents.

Theres far too many bitey things in our waters for me to ever feel comfortable about going in.
    And out of the water as well. Don't you have the most poisonous snakes in the world just hanging around?

We do have some bad ass snakes down here Texana and youre never quite sure when one will turn up,we are not allowed to kill them though as they are protected.

We do have some bad ass snakes down here Texana and youre never quite sure when one will turn up,we are not allowed to kill them though as they are protected.
    I like documentaries Dingo, and have seen a lot from down under; they are always great; you guys are legendary.

I've watched shows on the Box Jellyfish. Don't you have beaches with nets across them to protect swimmers? October to May- that's your entire summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast