1137 users online (210 members and 927 guests)  

Websleuths News

NJ - John 'Jack' Muldoon, 32, Byram, 2 Sept 1950

My father's brother, John Stanley Muldoon, known as "Jack" was the best man at my parent's wedding on Sept. 2, 1950 at St. Michael's Church, Netcong, NJ. The reception was held at my grandparents home in Cranberry Lake, Byram, NJ. He left the reception and was never seen or heard from again.

Jack was a red headed, blue eyed Irishman, born in 1918 or 1919 in Jersey City, NJ to Helen Breen and James Muldoon. He served in the US Army throughout WWII, came home to Jersey City, and had a massive nervous breakdown. He was hospitalized at the VA Hospital in East Orange, NJ. I suspect he was sedated with morphine and possibly became addicted.

Except for my two sisters, and myself, all interested parties have passed away, but I always thought it a shame that my dad never knew what happened to his only sibling. I have been totally unsuccessful in turning up even a single clue.

It was strange growing up in the shadow of a "disappeared" uncle; I felt like I, too, could leave the house and disappear.

This is the reason I first came to Websleuths. I've stayed because of all the dedicated people here who seek the truth, day after day.

So thanks, Websleuthers!

Virginia

Have you ever contacted social security to see if there was any thing paid into his account after he disappeared? He might have also recieved disability benefits if he was mentally unstable. You can call and ask them where you could send a letter to (which office) and they would forward it if they have a current address for him. What all have you done in your search for him?

Military and Veteran Records...

Your uncle was obviously in the VA system. They will have a file on him somewhere. If you call the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office nearest your home, they can look him up in a master Computer index that they have and can tell you when and where his file was "archived". This would be the last VA hospital or regional office that he had dealings with.

As his next of kin, you could request a transcript of his record, and there might be some information there that would give you some clues.

Another possibility is that your Uncle could have been recalled to active duty for the Korean War. This happened a lot. He may have had such orders and did not want to worry relatives before reporting for duty.

You might be able to get some information on him through the State Adjutant General's Office.

The Search

Thank you for the excellent suggestion on the VA, Richard. I did check the SS Death Index and came up empty handed. My mother, whose opinion was not that reliable because it was colored with her post-divorce bitterness, said that she thought he was probably addicted to morphine (on the street, heroin,) and owed the wrong people money. In other words, he walked away from his life. I just don't understand how someone could do that, regardless of the circumstances.

I will check with the VA in East Orange, NJ, though.

Again, thank you Richard, and thank you, Teresa.

Virginia

It has been 59 years...

Bumping up. Are there any updates in this case?

big bump.....any news?

Curious if anything new has come of this? Good luck, I hope you find him!

I will bump again. I live about a mile from the church where the wedding took place and have hiked the trails in the area of Cranberry lake so this is close to home. Any updates?

bump, hoping for new leads?