GA GA - Gary Chronister, 33, Lake Tobesofkee, Nov 2007

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.macon.com/149/story/185706.html

13 Nov 2007

A disabled war veteran who lives near Lake Tobesofkee has been missing since Saturday, according to the Bibb County Sheriff's Office.

Gary Leighton Chronister, 33, was last seen at his west Bibb apartment around 5 a.m., according to a sheriff's office news release.

Chronister, a veteran of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, has a history of mental disabilities and may be disoriented, according to the release.

He is white, 6 feet 1 inch tall and about 250 pounds, according to a sheriff's office description. He may be driving a 1997 teal green Ford Ranger with a bronze section along the bottom and a Lake Wildwood sticker on a cracked front windshield. The Bibb County license plate number is AEW8427.

Anyone with information should contact the Bibb County Sheriff's Office at 746-9441.

no pic at link; bolding is mine

http://www.macon.com/198/story/186898.html

Law enforcement officials continue to search for signs of a 33-year-old Bibb County war veteran whose mother believes he may be starving himself in local woods in an attempt to cleanse his system of toxins.

and

Chronister suffers from delusions he developed after serving in Afghanistan and Iraq between 2002 and 2004, said Futrell [mother], a school psychologist in Bibb County.

much more at link

(Bolding is mine.)

http://www.macon.com/149/story/191185.html

11-19-07

A truck belonging to a missing mentally disabled Macon war veteran was found today in a Cobb County parking lot, according to the Bibb County Sheriff's Office.

Spokesman Lt. George Meadows said police found Gary Leighton Chronister's truck in a parking lot near one of Chronister's previous residences in Ackworth at about 7:30 p.m.

more at link

Poor guy. I hope they find him before it's too late. I wonder if he's getting the help he needs that should be provided by the government since he is a veteran. His mother must be out of her mind worrying. My prayers go out to him and his family.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cherokee/stories/2008/01/16/vet_0117.html

16 Jan 08

Cherokee County officials have issued an arrest warrant for a veteran missing since November.

Gary Leighton Chronister, 33, is accused of molesting a girl in the summer of 2007, said Sgt. Jay Baker, a spokesman for the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office.

The arrest warrant was issued in Cherokee Magistrate Court on Monday, Baker said.

According to a sheriff's incident report dated Sept. 10, 2007 the girl and her parents told investigators that Chronister touched her in separate incidents in Cobb and in Cherokee.

Baker said detectives in the Crimes Against Children unit have been investigating the case since it was reported.

Chronister's mother reported him missing from their Bibb County home on Nov. 10.

The former Army corporal's truck was found Nov. 19 at a QT gas station on Cobb Parkway in Acworth, near where he used to live.

His mother, Sheryl Futrell, said her son has a history of mental illness. He was last seen in the early morning hours of Jan. 2 at a Cobb Parkway Huddle House by a waitress who served him scrambled eggs and sausage and water with lemon.

"Bottom line, my son is innocent. I can't say any more because now I have to get a lawyer," Futrell said Wednesday. "I have to do what needs to be done to protect him because he can't protect himself."

(Bolding is mine.)

What weird timing! I literally just read this article:

A Missing Son, Confused and Unable to Call Home:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/u...8367e4a186bbbd&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
But the longer her son remains missing, the more complex his story becomes. Last week the sheriff’s office in Cherokee County, to the immediate north, issued a warrant for his arrest on charges that he molested a young girl last summer. Dr. Futrell says it is untrue, unfair — un-Gary.
She also maintains that he is not on the run. For one thing, she and the child’s mother both say that investigators told everyone months ago that there were too many inconsistencies to prosecute a case. For another, Mr. Chronister was living in Bibb County, 100 miles to the south: if he was on the run, why would he run toward his pursuers?
“Because my son has disappeared, and is talking to himself, then he’s guilty,” Dr. Futrell says. “He’s not running; he’s walking.”
I can't tell from the tone of the article whether the writer actually interviewed the child's mother, but whether Chronister's guilty or not, I feel that he should be found so that he can either be brought to trial or given the help he needs for his medical condition.

(Hello Websleuthers community! This is my first post after longtime-lurking.)
(Oh, and the NY Times link might require registration in order to read it, but if you go to bugmenot.com you can get around that.)

Gary Leighton Chronister is my son. I just wanted to let anyone who is interested know that he is still missing. Last reliable sighting at the Huddle House in Kennesaw GA 1/2/08 says he was well under 200 pounds at that time. The waitress throught that "someone was taking care of him." My contact cell phone is now 706 922-2423. Gary's sister is carrying around my original cell phone that is listed on all the posts...Thanks for keeping this out there. My parents believe my son is dead, because they think that is the only way he would not have come home by now...Like that poor lady Elba in NJ, Gary is lost, but by the grace of God, I will find him, and I believe he is still alive.

Sheri

I saw this posted at porchlight while going through old threads to see if any where located. I googled and found the mom is still searching. He is still also listed on the major missing sites. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back