535 users online (62 members and 473 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Santas see red.

Sydney santas have reportedly defied a request from a recruitment firm to replace the ho..ho..ho...with ha..ha..ha.
    Trainee santas were told that the traditional phrase could scare children and be taken as derogatory towards women. .

Will this madness ever stop.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=323141

I don't think it's ever going to end. I think it's going to get worse.

Good for the Sydney Santa's!!!

Its getting past ridicilious......Im not even sure that the word Ho is used that often here as a put down to women..we do have other words with the same meaning though.
    I hope the Santies stick to their guns and leave somethings as they should be

That reminds me of my favorite episode of Grace Under Fire.

She's doing her last minute Christmas shopping, all stressed out, and walks past this Santa who's going 'ho, ho, ho'.... She turns on her heels and snaps at him "who ya calling a ho?!?". It's hilarious.

This on the other hand is IMO another example of 'political correctness' *cough* bull crap *cough*.

WHAAAAAAAAT the ????????

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    Sydney santas have reportedly defied a request from a recruitment firm to replace the ho..ho..ho...with ha..ha..ha.
    Trainee santas were told that the traditional phrase could scare children and be taken as derogatory towards women. .

Will this madness ever stop.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=323141
    My very dearest Dingo,
    Thank-you for the article.
    Too bad that our traditions have to be changed and conformed because of this.
    I want to know why a child would be scared of this word and why they would know what the word is.
    I wish that I could say what I really want to say, but I love this website too much to risk being banned by listing the words that were innocent when I was a child compared to the way they are used now.
    I remember when my son was young and we had a Fresh Air child visit. We took him to our county fair and I wanted to go to the Agriculture exhibits before touring the rest of the fairgrounds. I was a member of 4-H when I was a teen. My son was a member of the 4-H club when he was old enough to join. (family traditions passed down with a great Respect)The Fresh Air child was not interested in seeing the animals and stated "Yo I don't want to see friggin chickens, I want to see the ho's". Yes, that is what he said and I will not forget those words. My son was clueless and thought that boy wanted to see the 4-H tools for cleaning the animal waste.

Just thought I would share that with you.

So much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    My very dearest Dingo,
    I want to know why a child would be scared of this word and why they would know what the word is.
    I wish that I could say what I really want to say, but I love this website too much to risk being banned by listing the words that were innocent when I was a child compared to the way they are used now.
    I remember when my son was young and we had a Fresh Air child visit. We took him to our county fair and I wanted to go to the Agriculture exhibits before touring the rest of the fairgrounds. I was a member of 4-H when I was a teen. My son was a member of the 4-H club when he was old enough to join. (family traditions passed down with a great Respect)The Fresh Air child was not interested in seeing the animals and stated "Yo I don't want to see friggin chickens, I want to see the ho's". Yes, that is what he said and I will not forget those words. My son was clueless and thought that boy wanted to see the 4-H tools for cleaning the animal waste.

dark_shadows

My dearest Dark_Shadows, do you mind if I ask what is a Fresh Air Child?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Penelope631 View Post
    My dearest Dark_Shadows, do you mind if I ask what is a Fresh Air Child?

TIA
    My dearest Penelope,
    I do not mind your question at all.
    In the summer a child is welcomed into the homes of people out of state. You sponser a child for a free vacation that their family could not afford. They are from NYC. They can spend up to two weeks with you.
    I urge all to sponser a Fresh Air child, they are truly a gift to you. Do not let the one experience I posted in the thread here deter you from sponsering a child from the Fresh Air Fund, I truly enjoyed his time with us and there were so many tears when he left.
    My team is the Yankees!
    I was confused that you live in Long Island,NY and do not know what the Fresh Air Fund is, do they not advertise where you are???
    Here is a link for you to read and I hope that you consider doing this;
    http://www.freshair.org/faq.asp

All of my Love and Respect to you,
    dark_shadows

I think this is sad and the wrong move for the recruitment firm in Sydney and places all around the world to do. We have similar issues here in the states, too.

By trying to take away Santa's right to say his traditional, jolly, "Ho Ho Ho!!", it will only further change the definition of the word in a negative way. To me that makes it seem like the people who redefined the word to mean a hooker win. And, I don't like that.

Lion

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    My very dearest Dingo,

dark_shadows
    Thankyou mate for your insight on this subject..as I said in my opening post some things should remain the same..a hoe here remains just that ..a hoe...it is said that Australia is about 2 years behind America...maybe thats a good thing.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    You can't change what Santa says - he says ho ho ho - not ha ha ha. Who's out there protecting the rights of the ho ho ho's now anyway? Santa said ho ho ho long before you were a ho ho ho so shut up! Bunch of crazy ass people in this world today if you ask me.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Next thing ya know, there will be people wanting to ban some Christmas songs.

Like 'Dashing through the Snow' - isnt that another name for an illegal substance? And that guy, Frosty, the snowman - was he a pusher?

And what about "Deck the Halls" where they say "don we now our gay apparel" - that is pretty offensive to gays.

And what about "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful"??? Nevermind, won't comment on that one.........

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

If a woman passes by and hears santa saying "ho, ho, ho," and gets offended, then Id say she is on his naughty list so it shouldnt matter if she is offended lol

Quote Originally Posted by wildTrose View Post
    If a woman passes by and hears santa saying "ho, ho, ho," and gets offended, then Id say she is on his naughty list so it shouldnt matter if she is offended lol
    Yeah, she's probably just there to sit on his lap and see if she can get a rise outta him.

Have a guy lower his voice and say "Ha ha ha!" for you and tell me if it sounds inviting, or intimidating? My vote is for intimidating. ETA: They do mean lower tone, not lower volume, right? "Ha ha ha!" said in a quieter tone is ineffectual and not likely to be registered in the chaos that is the "Meet Santa" line. Those people have major screws loose!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast