Reaction score
Shantelle Hudson

hudson_shantelle.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: November 14, 1988 from Dayton, Nevada
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: July 31, 1972
Height and Weight: 5'5, 120 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair. Hudson has a scar on one of her ring fingers. She has a large-sized birthmark on the base of her spine. Hudson wears eyeglasses.

Details of Disappearance
Hudson was last seen in Dayton, Nevada on November 14, 1988. Her mother reported her as a missing person shortly afterwards. Hudson has never been heard from again. Authorities reopened her case after receiving an inquiry from one of Hudson's relatives in 1999. There has not been any activity on her Social Security number and investigators were unable to locate Hudson through an extensive driver's license search. Hudson may have left her home of her own accord. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Lyon County Sheriff's Office
775-577-5026

Today, November 14, 2007, marks the ninteenth anniversary of Shantelle's disappearance. Please keep her and her family in your prayers. If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Shantelle Hudson, please contact the Lyon County Sheriff's Office at 775-577-5026 or your local police department.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20110305/NEWS/110309803/1070&ParentProfile=1058

Information requested on Shannon's case again as cold case investigators look at some Nevada cases again. It does say here that "Her mother was again interviewed in 2009, in Redding, Calif., where a DNA sample was taken after a body found murdered in Phoenix matched Shantelle's description. The DNA comparison is currently under way. "

If you were in Dayton 23 years ago you might be able to help solve a cold case

She was a teenager attending high school and had only lived in Dayton for two weeks when she vanished. That was 23 years ago when the last time anyone recalls seeing the petite 16-year-old brunette during a street dance on or about Nov. 14, 1988.

One agency is reopening the missing person 'cold case' of Shantelle Hudson in hope that anyone who was in the Dayton area when Hudson was in town can think back and try to recall even the smallest detail that could lead to solving the case.

More: http://www.rgj.com/article/20110316/DAYTON01/103160305/-1/TT

What I wonder about this case is about the street dance she was last seen at. What exactly was it? A block party? The fact that she was seen 2 days after her disappearance suggests she is voluntarily missing....at least at first.

Also, was the dance sighting ever confirmed? Was she seen there with anyone? And there was speculation she was seeing a guy around the time of her disappearance; therefore, were her friend's ever interviewed?

Another thing I find odd is that there is little information regarding the day of her disappearance, like where she was last seen. It just mentions that her mom reported her missing on that day. Her case wasn't re-opened until a relative realized she was never located. I always wonder about the mother in these cases, like why they weren't more involved in her child's disappearance.

http://justicefornativewomen.blogspot.com/2016/01/shantelle-hudson-missing-from-nevada.html

^^^

Shantelle Hudson was a Native woman. There is tribal land in Lyon County, where Dayton is located -- the Yerington Paiute Tribe Reservation is in that area, part of the Walker River Indian Reservation is in Lyon County, and a tiny tiny part of the Pyramid Lake Reservation is there too. I don't have any information that links Shantelle to any of those tribes, much less information that she was a member of the Paiute more generally, but that's something to consider. Unfortunately, the crime rate against Native women was and is so dire compared to the crime rates against other populations, I so hope that Shantelle left of her own accord and didn't fall victim to something terrible.

Re the street dance: Dayton isn't very big (it's, like, 9,000 people now so it's a good guess that it was smaller back then). It's maybe... 45 minutes from Reno? Less from Carson City, though Carson City is even smaller. I'd be amazed if that crowd at that party was so big that people didn't see Shantelle, assuming she was there like it's been reported. Seems like the most info that's out there, though, is that she may have been there with friends that her mother disapproved of.

After doing some digging, my semi-educated guess is that Shantelle was a member of the Oglala Lakota Nation. I guess I can't even go so far as to say "member", actually, so I'm gonna go with "Shantelle had family ties to the Oglala Lakota Nation/Pine Ridge Reservation". The reason I'm harping on this is b/c (1) Native women really do go missing or a victims of crimes at an astonishing, unacceptable rate and Shantelle might have been part of this trend; (2) there may be records of her there that could be useful, especially if it's ever determined she made it out of NV. Mostly I'm sad there's not more information about this beautiful young lady available and my heart goes out to her family.

Here is a link to the masterlist of the NV Rural Unidentified Missing & Crime Victims mentioned in this article:

http://id.dps.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/...RCFemaleUnidentifiedDeadUnsolvedHomicides.pdf

And here is the text of the 2011 article linked above (that link is now broken):

By Karren Rhodes
March 16, 2011

She was a teenager attending high school and had only lived in Dayton for two weeks when she vanished. That was 23 years ago when the last time anyone recalls seeing the petite 16-year-old brunette during a street dance on or about Nov. 14, 1988.

One agency is reopening the missing person 'cold case' of Shantelle Hudson in hope that anyone who was in the Dayton area when Hudson was in town can think back and try to recall even the smallest detail that could lead to solving the case.

The Nevada Threat Analysis Center (NTAC) wants to find out what happened to Hudson. For more than a year the agency's Terrorism Liaison Officer Program has collected information from law enforcement officials concerning unsolved rural female homicides and selected missing person cases. They now have a master list to share with cold case investigators in other states.

Today they are asking for the public's help to develop potential leads that could solve Hudson's disappearance. She is described at the time of her disappearance as being a white female teen who stood 5 feet 5 inches tall with a slim build (120 pounds) and brown eyes and hair. She was born in 1972 and would be 39-years-old today.

Her mother, Lenan Garner, lived in Bishop, Calif., before moving to Dayton. She now lives in Redding, Calif.

Hudson was reported missing after attending school in Dayton, but witnesses claim she was seen at the street dance two days after she had left home. Authorities say her mother didn't approve of the friends that she was hanging around with. She has never contacted friends or relatives since the day she vanished.

Her mother was interviewed again last year and gave a DNA sample to determine if there could be a possible match to an unknown murder victim in Phoenix, Ariz.

The agency says there has been no activity related to Hudson's Social Security Number through the years.

Anyone who might have even the smallest detail about Hudson is asked to contact Jim Lopey at 775-687-0450 or e-mail atac@dps.state.nv.us regarding Lyon County case number 88-21-36. Potential leads will be forwarded to the Lyon County Sheriff's Office.

Here is a link to the masterlist of the NV Rural Unidentified Missing & Crime Victims mentioned in this article:

http://id.dps.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/...RCFemaleUnidentifiedDeadUnsolvedHomicides.pdf

And here is the text of the 2011 article linked above (that link is now broken):

By Karren Rhodes
March 16, 2011

The Nevada Threat Analysis Center (NTAC) wants to find out what happened to Hudson. For more than a year the agency's Terrorism Liaison Officer Program has collected information from law enforcement officials concerning unsolved rural female homicides and selected missing person cases. They now have a master list to share with cold case investigators in other states.

Today they are asking for the public's help to develop potential leads that could solve Hudson's disappearance. She is described at the time of her disappearance as being a white female teen who stood 5 feet 5 inches tall with a slim build (120 pounds) and brown eyes and hair. She was born in 1972 and would be 39-years-old today.

Her mother, Lenan Garner, lived in Bishop, Calif., before moving to Dayton. She now lives in Redding, Calif.

Hudson was reported missing after attending school in Dayton, but witnesses claim she was seen at the street dance two days after she had left home. Authorities say her mother didn't approve of the friends that she was hanging around with. She has never contacted friends or relatives since the day she vanished.

Her mother was interviewed again last year and gave a DNA sample to determine if there could be a possible match to an unknown murder victim in Phoenix, Ariz.

The agency says there has been no activity related to Hudson's Social Security Number through the years.

Anyone who might have even the smallest detail about Hudson is asked to contact Jim Lopey at 775-687-0450 or e-mail atac@dps.state.nv.us regarding Lyon County case number 88-21-36. Potential leads will be forwarded to the Lyon County Sheriff's Office.

Well I've been asking long time residents of Dayton if they recall this girl missing and the answer is no. I've only asked about 20 people. I used to live in Dayton myself from 2008-2015. There simply aren't enough details given to the public for the public to help. For example why did the mother disapprove of the friends. What kind of street dance? Because seriously to this day I have never heard of a street dance in Dayton. Also what about the teachers at school or friends or mother why didn't any of them give a description of what she was wearing. What about her teeth why didn't the mother give a description about her teeth. I would really like to know if these friends were made at school and if so at the Dayton school because then we could go from there maybe...Im going to go walk around the Dayton park and think about this one...

I'm so glad you posted on this thread -- and so sorry I didn't see it until now! I have been *in* Dayton but never lived there. And I was really focused on the "street dance" to b/c I just don't see it, you know? I spent a lot of time googling variations of "Dayton" and "street dance" trying to figure out if it was an event that was so unusual that people might have mentioned in on FB or other social media even decades later or what, but had no luck.

If there was a way to limit the friends to the SCHOOL, that would be a big start. If you ever return to this thread, please let me know what you came up with on your walk!

Shantelle disappeared years before I was born, but I have grown up in Dayton. It is strange to me that no one has come forward with any information on her since it is such a small community. As far as I'm aware, 'street dances' aren't really a thing here either, but again, this was more than ten years before I was born. Was there ever any word back about the possible match in Arizona?

I never did go on the walk. I could go tommorow but what good would that do. There is one park that sorry to say would be the number one spot I would check for a dead body in Dayton. By now her body if it were tossed in the Carson river at the Dayton park which btw no one is ever hardly there would be idk maybe less than bones and washed away? But I could go check. Y'all know what really bugs me? It's BS the whole street dance storym yeah right! I can't even get enough people to play Pokémon go with me nowadays there's no way in hell there was a street dance and at that time of the year cold as hell no one would dare dance outside ha yeah right. I wish I knew the address she lived at or the street of this so called dance. One thing y'all should know is bishop California is very known for many meth users. Actually more than half the people I have met from there used meth.(met them as patients in hospital) I found an article of her grandfathers passing. "Joe B. Hudson 74, died Monday at Carson Tahoe hospital. A native of lake Andes s.d. he was born October 18, 1917 and had been a Dayton resident for the past four years comming from lone pine Calif." Continued..."surviving are his widow Virginia, of Dayton. Son joseph and daughter lenan garner both of Redding Calif. Brother Lewis Jones of springlake, mich.sister Muriel Heald of bishop California and one grandchild." So this was from the year 1991 three years after she disappeared. She would have been 19 years old. Right? I want to know about her father? Or was there a step dad??!
Why wouldn't they interview students from school either in bishop or Dayton? How were her grades in school? Why did she dislike her friends? Oooh I wish I could speak with whoever said they saw her at "a street dance". Prime suspect right there! Oh and what kind of mother gives up looking? Weird! I spoke with people who recall Tony Franco from Reno disappearance and that mother put up flyers and asked around to this day. Breanna Dennison boy i will tell you there were so many flyers of her missing info literally like every dang fence phone pole fixture window everywhere like every five feet ...but I have never ever heard of any such act from her family by anyone. I almost would suspect the mother of knowing something...

Shantelle Hudson: The Girl Nevada Forgot Post #1

^^^

I just stumbled across this recent 2018 article, which highlights Shantelle’s case, which is great given how long ago she disappeared and how little information is available. The author mentions that the Arizona DNA comparison unfortunately did not result in a match.

It’s really interesting hearing you all talk about this “street dance”. It just seems so unlikely, I agree. Who described it that way to the police, I wonder? Was that just... a bad description of some kids hanging out with a boom box or something? I have no idea.

The point about drugs is a good one, that’s a very good reason for a mother to dislike her daughter’s friends.

I came across this Jane Doe. I wonder if it was ever considered that it might be Shantelle? I know the age range is out but given the discrepancies in a few of the recent solves cases im willing to broaden the age bracket.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The height and hair color match up. Though Jane Doe was found about 200 miles away from where Shantelle went missing, Shantelle could have easily traveled that far in the time from when she was reported missing to when Jane Doe is estimated to have died.

The population of Dayton is aprox 8900. In 1990 it was aprox 4000. I'm not real clear about the "street dance" she was allegedly last seen at. Looking at pics it doesn't seem like a happening town.

Shantelle Hudson – The Charley Project
This says the last time she was seen was when she got in an argument with her mother.
Details of Disappearance
Shantelle was last seen in Dayton, Nevada on November 14, 1988. She got in an argument with her mother and left their apartment on Dayton Valley Road at 7:30 a.m. Her mother reported her as a missing person shortly afterwards. She stated her daughter had made friends she didn't approve of.

Shantelle has never been heard from again. Authorities reopened her case after receiving an inquiry from one of her relatives in 1999. There has not been any activity on her Social Security number and investigators were unable to locate Shantelle through an extensive driver's license search.

Shantelle had moved to Dayton from Bishop, California about two weeks before her disappearance. Some witnesses reported seeing Shantelle at a Dayton street dance two days after she was reported missing. It's possible she met with foul play at the dance.

She may have been seeing a boy at the time of her disappearance; if she was, investigators have never identified him. Rumors that drugs were involved in her case have not been substantiated. Shantelle's father has been ruled out as a suspect in her case. Her mother now lives in Redding, California. Her case remains unsolved.

Edit- There's another photo of Shantelle with an unidentified friend in this article. I'm thinking it was a friend from when she lived in Cali? I find it hard to believe that in 2 weeks of living in NV she had already made these "bad" friends. I remember moving to Tallahassee when I was 17 and it took a few weeks to find a new group. Cold cases: The unsolved homicides and disappearances of Lyon County

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Tejas1821
Back