Religious Cect awaiting the end...

Amraann

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/sect-h...y/20071115174909990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

MOSCOW (Nov. 15) - At least 30 members of a Russian doomsday cult have barricaded themselves in a remote cave to await the end of the world and are threatening to commit suicide if police intervene, officials and media said Thursday.

Ummm I am a tad bit confused ...

"They are simple Christians," a local priest, Father Georgy, told NTV television station. "They say: 'The church is doing a bad job, the end of the world is coming soon and we are all saving ourselves'."

Isn't suicide kind of against the rules of Christianity??

This reminds me of when I was in 5th grade... My friends mom was a total loon..
We were talking about what we were going to be for Holloween and I asked what she (my friend) was going to be next year...
Her mother, who was driving us home from school, said "Oh, we will not be here next Holloween" Of course being 10 or 11 I was a bit confused and asked why? She then proceeded to explain that before the next Holloween true believers would be taken back to heaven. She actually depicted it as though they would literally float up to the sky and the rest of us would just watch these bodies floating skyward.
Even then I thought she was not mentally healthy.
I do wonder whatever happened to them and what she made of the fact that she never floated up ??

"She actually depicted it as though they would literally float up to the sky and the rest of us would just watch these bodies floating skyward."

Oh great! That's all we need is people floating in the sky,taking up more air space.As if the airlines need anymore problems!!

"She actually depicted it as though they would literally float up to the sky and the rest of us would just watch these bodies floating skyward."

Oh great! That's all we need is people floating in the sky,taking up more air space.As if the airlines need anymore problems!!

I don't know. Considering the folks who believe such things, would we really miss them? :angel:

I was raised in a religious tradtion a lot like that. Our church called it "The Rapture", and our Sunday school teachers used it to terrify us. We were told that if we didn't behave, when The Rapture came our mothers and fathers would disappear and we'd be left all alone to be killed by the antichrist. My sister still has nightmares about it and she's 38.

I recently converted to Catholicism, and in my first RCIA class, when our priest asked if we had questions, I said "Does the Catholic Church believe in The Rapture?"

He laughed and said no, the Church did not endorse The Rapture like fundamentalist Protestant religions do. In fact, it's not even Biblical.

I felt like someone had lifted a ten ton weight off my back, and I realized that all my life, believing in God had meant believing that at any minute, I would be left on earth alone to face the antichrist without any of my family or loved ones.

Needless to say, I have very little sympathy with religions that preach the end of time above everything else. :razz:

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/sect-h...y/20071115174909990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

MOSCOW (Nov. 15) - At least 30 members of a Russian doomsday cult have barricaded themselves in a remote cave to await the end of the world and are threatening to commit suicide if police intervene, officials and media said Thursday.

Ummm I am a tad bit confused ...

"They are simple Christians," a local priest, Father Georgy, told NTV television station. "They say: 'The church is doing a bad job, the end of the world is coming soon and we are all saving ourselves'."

Isn't suicide kind of against the rules of Christianity??

This reminds me of when I was in 5th grade... My friends mom was a total loon..
We were talking about what we were going to be for Holloween and I asked what she (my friend) was going to be next year...
Her mother, who was driving us home from school, said "Oh, we will not be here next Holloween" Of course being 10 or 11 I was a bit confused and asked why? She then proceeded to explain that before the next Holloween true believers would be taken back to heaven. She actually depicted it as though they would literally float up to the sky and the rest of us would just watch these bodies floating skyward.
Even then I thought she was not mentally healthy.
I do wonder whatever happened to them and what she made of the fact that she never floated up ??
i really do remember when my neighbors who were Johovah Witness believed the world was coming to an end. It was in Oct, but I don't remember what year. Sometime in the 70's, I think. I even read a book he had on Armageddon.

I was raised in a religious tradtion a lot like that. Our church called it "The Rapture", and our Sunday school teachers used it to terrify us. We were told that if we didn't behave, when The Rapture came our mothers and fathers would disappear and we'd be left all alone to be killed by the antichrist. My sister still has nightmares about it and she's 38.

I recently converted to Catholicism, and in my first RCIA class, when our priest asked if we had questions, I said "Does the Catholic Church believe in The Rapture?"

He laughed and said no, the Church did not endorse The Rapture like fundamentalist Protestant religions do. In fact, it's not even Biblical.

I felt like someone had lifted a ten ton weight off my back, and I realized that all my life, believing in God had meant believing that at any minute, I would be left on earth alone to face the antichrist without any of my family or loved ones.

Needless to say, I have very little sympathy with religions that preach the end of time above everything else. :razz:

Mine did this, too. I was only about 8 when they showed us that scary film where the woman is left alone to be hunted down and killed. EIGHT!! Once I hit my teens, I realized they were spewing hatred and quit going. (My parents did not attend and didn't make me once I decided to quit.)

Couldn't they have waited until next year? I heard on the radio I think that they think it will be in May of 08.

At least their leader isn't in there with them and after being arrested is trying to convince the people to come out of the cave. Maybe the children won't be hurt, any more than they are of course. Even though the word rapture isn't in the word, I disagree that the whole concept of it isn't biblical if a person cross references different verses.

Even though the word rapture isn't in the word, I disagree that the whole concept of it isn't biblical if a person cross references different verses.

It's all pretty much based on Revelations. It's a lot of different interpretations of this book of the bible.

Edited it add: If they want to stay in the cave, let 'em. Just don't let them kill anyone but themselves...i.e. don't try killing any of the little kids!!! THey don't get to make a choice what to believe.

I don't know. Considering the folks who believe such things, would we really miss them? :angel:

Well if it really happened (which would have to, for anyone to miss them) then they would have been proven right, wouldn't they?

Well if it really happened (which would have to, for anyone to miss them) then they would have been proven right, wouldn't they?

No, it'd just mean empty heads hold lighter-than-air gases. I think we already know that. :croc:

(For the record, I'm not talking about everyone who believes in the Rapture, though I find that belief highly dubious. I'm talking about those with the chutzpah to think they can predict the precise date.)

I'm talking about those with the chutzpah to think they can predict the precise date.

I was joking but in all seriousness, IMO it is not a 'take this and leave that' situation with the Bible. Either you believe all, or nothing. The Bible clearly says nobody knows the day or time... so yeah, I think it's safe to say that the people who claim they do are off their rocker. Or at the very least misled. I prefer the first option, but then again I'm not a nice person. lol

(For the record, I'm not talking about everyone who believes in the Rapture, though I find that belief highly dubious. I'm talking about those with the chutzpah to think they can predict the precise date.)

Then there are those who believe the rapture has come and gone leaving only the heathen posting on internet bulletin boards during the time of tribulation.

Let me be really frank with you ... If you are reading this post and the rapture has already occurred, then you probably aren't going to physically survive for much longer than seven years. However a few heretics have claimed that redemption is possible thru martydom if you sever your internet connection.

Then there are those who believe the rapture has come and gone leaving only the heathen posting on internet bulletin boards during the time of tribulation.

Let me be really frank with you ... If you are reading this post and the rapture has already occurred, then you probably aren't going to physically survive for much longer than seven years. However a few heretics have claimed that redemption is possible thru martydom if you sever your internet connection.

If I have to choose between WebSleuths and sitting around on a cloud all day listening to harp music... Well, TOS prevent me from finishing.

Sever my internet connection?? That IS Hell!

:razz:
I was raised in that as well and I remember coming home and my mom and dad were not there and I thought the Rapture happened. I used to get so scared. I believe in God and Jesus, I however do not believe in everything that I was taught as a child, I think the scare tactics are not good. I am not saying I dont believe in the Return of Jesus, but I think its wrong to scare people, especially kids!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back