Family of Tawana Brawley Wants to Revisit Infamous Rape Case

snvoigt

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312086,00.html

I know nothing on this case. I looked up some background on it, and from what I have read, I have no clue what to think. I was just wondering if any of you guys here have ever heard of this case, and your views on it.

I don't want to turn this into a race debate, we have had to many of those on here the last few weeks.

Here are some links that tell some of the story......
http://www.courttv.com/archive/legaldocs/newsmakers/tawana/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley

Shauna

In my opinion, if there was any indication that there was a cover up at the time, Sharpton would never have let this case drop. It was fully investigated and determined that Tawana lied. The press was all over this story. It was big news.

I agree. It was examined not only by the grand jury, but sharpton and others lost defamation lawsuits. I think if there was any truth to the allegations, something would have been found during the course of all of this scrutiny.

I would love to know the real story behind this case, but her mother is the one who should be answering questions, not asking them.

I love Al Sharpton, but this was one case where he messed up big time and made himself less credible for a while. I wonder if Tawana herself knew what her parents were doing ahead of time.

I love Al Sharpton, but this was one case where he messed up big time and made himself less credible for a while. I wonder if Tawana herself knew what her parents were doing ahead of time.
I can't stand Al and he is ANYTHING BUT credible!

:hand:

Why is it her mother instead of Tawana who is stirring this up?

Hmmmmm......:waitasec:

I honestly believe the mother is after more money.

There was no evidence, no proof of rape and many aspects of Tawana's story didn't make sense or fell flat.

If you read the link on the wikipedia site, it states that they "moved to Virgina" taking the "defense fund" of $300,000 that "well-wishers" provided to the family.

Yeah... she's after money, whether it's being paid for interviews, for selling her "story" or setting up another sting on the good citizens of NY.

There was no evidence, no proof of rape and many aspects of Tawana's story didn't make sense or fell flat.

If you read the link on the wikipedia site, it states that they "moved to Virgina" taking the "defense fund" of $300,000 that "well-wishers" provided to the family.

Yeah... she's after money, whether it's being paid for interviews, for selling her "story" or setting up another sting on the good citizens of NY.
I agree MagicRose! What a shame and a sham.
:razz:

So the mom has spent all of that money obviously and is looking for more "fund money." A lot of what I have read about the mother was pretty telling, IMO.

I lived 20 minutes away from where this whole thing happened. I believe Tawana was proven to be a liar. :twocents:

Boy - this family is some piece of work! Tawana Brawley lied and caused harm to a lot of innocent people! The lawyer, Alton Maddox, has some very serious issues, himself - some might say that he is mentally unstable!

Well put. It's easy to forget that a lot of people believed Tawana Brawley at the time, not just Rev. Sharpton.

But like others here, it isn't my understanding that there's anything to "uncover" at this point.

I remember following this case very closely when the so called rape was being discussed on the news. A lot of people didn't believe Tawana's story from the get go.
IIRC, Tawana admitted that the rape was a hoax. I'll see if I can find some archived articles about this case.

I think the best part of the Wikipedia article is the end, where states

In November 2007, Brawley's mother and stepfather, in a 20th anniversary feature for the New York Daily Newshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Daily_News, said, "We should be millionaires."

If your real concern is for your daughter, why would she make such a statement?

I think the best part of the Wikipedia article is the end, where states

In November 2007, Brawley's mother and stepfather, in a 20th anniversary feature for the New York Daily Newshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Daily_News, said, "We should be millionaires."

If your real concern is for your daughter, why would she make such a statement?
Thanks for posting that!!! I also read that but could not remember where. I always thought that Tawana made that lie up because she was afraid of her stepfather. I am in no way saying that it excuses her or, that it minimizes the damage she caused. I just think that is the reason for her lie. "We should be millionaires" - a quote by one of the losers who raised her. I wonder if she is even a part of this although, it really doesn't matter because she did enough damage on her own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
locallady50
Back