VT - Nicolas Fournier, 18, killed by drunk driver, Colchester, 24 Nov 2007

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Click here for link

COLCHESTER -- A Swanton teenager died early Saturday morning when the car in which he was riding was struck by another driving in the wrong direction on Interstate 89 by a man who allegedly admitted to police that he had come from a local bar.

Vermont State Police said Nicolas Fournier, 18, of Swanton died on impact as the result of internal injuries from the crash, which occurred shortly after midnight.
More at link.

This will be the 4th DUI conviction for this man if he is convicted.

Click here for Nick's photo and a photo of the wrond way driver with article

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I'm sorry to hear that! When my husband was a police officer on the road, he had at least two stops a week involving someone going the wrong way down a major highway or interstate. It's terrifying how often this occurs.

Prayers to the victim's family. I hope they put the person responsible in prison so he can't hurt anyone else.

Oh my gosh, D_S. This is horrible news. And of course the drunk driver lived. :( I'm so sorry for you and your friend and their family. I will keep you all in my prayers.

There's no excuse for being allowed to drive or be free on your 3rd DUI. I hope he gets some serious jail time, but from what I've seen in the past he will probably just get a few years.

I'm worried about you too, D_S. You've been through so much just this year alone. ((D_S))

I am so sorry for your family's lost D_S and the boy's family will be in my prayers. What a terrible terrible thing to happen to a young man.

4th DUI - that's horrible.

But I think it's entirely possible that he will get more than a few years - multiple DUI makes a murder charge more likely. As it should be.

(((DS)))

So sorry for this boy and all who loved him.

I have to believe that every one of these cases teaches our judges some hard lessons about how they sentence drunk drivers. I hope that lives will be saved if just one of them thinks of Nick the next time they are deciding between jail time and community service.

I'm sorry to hear that! When my husband was a police officer on the road, he had at least two stops a week involving someone going the wrong way down a major highway or interstate. It's terrifying how often this occurs.

Prayers to the victim's family. I hope they put the person responsible in prison so he can't hurt anyone else.
My dearest Bnhall,:blowkiss:
Thank-you so much for your post.
My son drives that interstate daily. There are signs stating an access road is one way. There is also a sign on stop lights with a red arrow with a slash indicating you cannot make that turn.

All of my Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

Darkshadows, I amm sorry to hear of the loss of another young man to the realities of drinking and driving. I lost a firend in college to a repeat offender who at the time of the accident had multiple offeneses and her children in the car. My friend was driving, she was 19. She and her siblings were on their way to the graduation party for my then boyfriend. She was hospitalized for several days before she passed away. Her father was a state policeman who unfortunately wascalled to the scene before they realized it was his daughter... her Mom has still not really recovered from the loss of her daughter. I sincerely hope that this offender has the book thrown at him, that he has a significant sentance that includes a long time of public service that benefits those who have been victimized by DUI, andf most importantly I hope his friends and family are able to grieve and able to still move on.. dwelling on the tragedy and the loss is like a life sentance.. and doesnt best remember those who were lost.. only makes more folks suffer than need be. I hope justice is served, faith and hope restored. Hugs to his family, may they find peace.

Oh my gosh, D_S. This is horrible news. And of course the drunk driver lived. :( I'm so sorry for you and your friend and their family. I will keep you all in my prayers.

There's no excuse for being allowed to drive or be free on your 3rd DUI. I hope he gets some serious jail time, but from what I've seen in the past he will probably just get a few years.

I'm worried about you too, D_S. You've been through so much just this year alone. ((D_S))
To my so very dearest Taximom,:blowkiss:
Nick was not wearing a seatbelt. But the damage to the side that he was in would not have mattered. he would have perished with or without it.
It is not uncommon for people in this state to be free on a 3rd DUI.
I am going to pass your words onto my friend. When her son is ready, he will read your words.
You are so right Taximom when you say that I have been through so much in one year alone. I have come within an inch of a nervous breakdown many times. I truly thank God for everyone in my life, and you are one of the ones that I am so grateful for.

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

I am so sorry for your family's lost D_S and the boy's family will be in my prayers. What a terrible terrible thing to happen to a young man.
To my very dearest CP,:blowkiss:
You have been there for me since I first came onto this website. I am going to pass your message onto my friend so that her son can see the heart of someone states away. i do not know when he will see your message, but I can tell you that when he is ready, he will be amazed at the Love and support he has from someone states away.

So very much love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

4th DUI - that's horrible.

But I think it's entirely possible that he will get more than a few years - multiple DUI makes a murder charge more likely. As it should be.
My dearest Details,:blowkiss:
Many people are going to be keeping up with this case. I want to thank-you for your post.
dark_shadows

(((DS)))

So sorry for this boy and all who loved him.

I have to believe that every one of these cases teaches our judges some hard lessons about how they sentence drunk drivers. I hope that lives will be saved if just one of them thinks of Nick the next time they are deciding between jail time and community service.
Dearest Angelmom,:blowkiss:
We are praying for what you say in your post.
I want to thank-you so very much for posting here.

dark_shadows

Darkshadows, I amm sorry to hear of the loss of another young man to the realities of drinking and driving. I lost a firend in college to a repeat offender who at the time of the accident had multiple offeneses and her children in the car. My friend was driving, she was 19. She and her siblings were on their way to the graduation party for my then boyfriend. She was hospitalized for several days before she passed away. Her father was a state policeman who unfortunately wascalled to the scene before they realized it was his daughter... her Mom has still not really recovered from the loss of her daughter. I sincerely hope that this offender has the book thrown at him, that he has a significant sentance that includes a long time of public service that benefits those who have been victimized by DUI, andf most importantly I hope his friends and family are able to grieve and able to still move on.. dwelling on the tragedy and the loss is like a life sentance.. and doesnt best remember those who were lost.. only makes more folks suffer than need be. I hope justice is served, faith and hope restored. Hugs to his family, may they find peace.
My dearest Opme,:blowkiss:
Your words are words to be thaken to heart.

I want to thank-you so much for your post. It means alot.

dark_shadows

Good Lord, Dark Shadows, i give my condolences..
That was that man's 4th DWI he needs to be locked up for life. That's reckless disregard for human life. You would think some people learn after there first dwi, yet this is his 4th, their are no excuses for this at all.

Good Lord, Dark Shadows, i give my condolences..
That was that man's 4th DWI he needs to be locked up for life. That's reckless disregard for human life. You would think some people learn after there first dwi, yet this is his 4th, their are no excuses for this at all.
Dearest MeoW333,:blowkiss:
I appreciate your post very much.

Here is a case here where a man had 11 DUI convictions before he was brought to justice. The case states 3rd offence :silenced: , but read the document and you will see the 11 convictions.

Look for this to see the paragraph, ( <Page 2>).

Court document
Scroll down to;
The district court
considered evidence that defendant has at least eleven prior DUI
convictions and found "by clear and convincing evidence that defendant's
release on bail would present a substantial threat of physical danger,
violence, and harm to other persons using the public highways."

Also, scroll down to see the claim that Gardner is mentally Retarde; Scroll down where it is page 8/46.
This is what you will see;

In a recent case, a Vermont court held that a person with mental retardation was
competent but needed the assistance of a cognitive interpreter to assure that he
understood the proceedings and was able to express himself clearly. State v.
Arnold Gardner, Docket No. 1096-9-97 FrCr J. Kilburn (December 1998).
Vermont courts have considered other accommodations for people with
cognitive impairments as well, such as more frequent breaks, intermittent
inquiries to confirm a defendant's comprehension of the proceedings,
involvement of support

http://www.ucp.org/uploads/ddsgeneralassemblyreport.pdf

All of my Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

Oh, D_S, my heart breaks to read this. I do not know what to say. And like others, I do not know why someone with 3 prior DWIs still has a license (though I suspect that might not even keep someone like this off the road).

I will keep your friend's family in my prayers. What a senseless, devastating tragedy.

Oh, D_S, my heart breaks to read this. I do not know what to say. And like others, I do not know why someone with 3 prior DWIs still has a license (though I suspect that might not even keep someone like this off the road).

I will keep your friend's family in my prayers. What a senseless, devastating tragedy.
My very dear Southcitymom,:blowkiss:
Thank-you for being here. Your heart is very much appreciated.

dark_shadows

What a senseless death.... when are people going to learn... when are there going to be stricter laws about this? What is it with this country that people who are so clearly a danger to others a left to wander and drive the streets?!? I am getting so tired of this...

DS, I'm sorry... his family and loved ones will be in my prayers... and so will you, you sound like you need it. {{{{DS}}}}

Oh, Dark Shadows, I am so very sorry. Please accept a cyber hug (((DS))). Life can be so hard. Unfortunately, tragedy eventually strikes us all in some form or other. It is just so much more horrible when the tragedy involves the elements of youth, and repeat offenders. It always seems as though this should have been preventable. I think it also makes it harder when it is the holiday season. If there is anything we can do, or you just need someone to talk to, we are always here for you. (((DS)))

I am so sorry to read about this. :( My thoughts and prayers go out for the young man and all of his family and friends.

I hope they throw the book at this guy. Things like this that could be avoided if they had put him away the first time, just make me furious.

There's nothing to say DS except to add my sincerest condolences to you, your son and Nick's family and friends. I'm so sorry.

DS,
I am sorry for your loss. It can be particularly hard when a son or daughter's friend dies a senseless death. Prayers to you, your son and the victim's loved ones.

I hate drunk drivers. This guy should have been locked up a long time ago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back