Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: Wrong way driver killed my friend's son's friend.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,120

    Wrong way driver killed my friend's son's friend.

    Click here for link

    COLCHESTER -- A Swanton teenager died early Saturday morning when the car in which he was riding was struck by another driving in the wrong direction on Interstate 89 by a man who allegedly admitted to police that he had come from a local bar.

    Vermont State Police said Nicolas Fournier, 18, of Swanton died on impact as the result of internal injuries from the crash, which occurred shortly after midnight.
    More at link.


    This will be the 4th DUI conviction for this man if he is convicted.

    Click here for Nick's photo and a photo of the wrond way driver with article


    Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    886
    I'm sorry to hear that! When my husband was a police officer on the road, he had at least two stops a week involving someone going the wrong way down a major highway or interstate. It's terrifying how often this occurs.

    Prayers to the victim's family. I hope they put the person responsible in prison so he can't hurt anyone else.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,705
    Oh my gosh, D_S. This is horrible news. And of course the drunk driver lived. I'm so sorry for you and your friend and their family. I will keep you all in my prayers.

    There's no excuse for being allowed to drive or be free on your 3rd DUI. I hope he gets some serious jail time, but from what I've seen in the past he will probably just get a few years.

    I'm worried about you too, D_S. You've been through so much just this year alone. ((D_S))
    Last edited by Taximom; 11-18-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: correct #of previous dui's

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,939
    I am so sorry for your family's lost D_S and the boy's family will be in my prayers. What a terrible terrible thing to happen to a young man.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,630
    4th DUI - that's horrible.

    But I think it's entirely possible that he will get more than a few years - multiple DUI makes a murder charge more likely. As it should be.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,447
    (((DS)))

    So sorry for this boy and all who loved him.

    I have to believe that every one of these cases teaches our judges some hard lessons about how they sentence drunk drivers. I hope that lives will be saved if just one of them thinks of Nick the next time they are deciding between jail time and community service.
    Please help find Gerry Largay, 66, missing on the Appalachian Trail in Maine.
    http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/25...ssing-in-Maine

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,120
    Quote Originally Posted by bnhall View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that! When my husband was a police officer on the road, he had at least two stops a week involving someone going the wrong way down a major highway or interstate. It's terrifying how often this occurs.

    Prayers to the victim's family. I hope they put the person responsible in prison so he can't hurt anyone else.
    My dearest Bnhall,
    Thank-you so much for your post.
    My son drives that interstate daily. There are signs stating an access road is one way. There is also a sign on stop lights with a red arrow with a slash indicating you cannot make that turn.

    All of my Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    1,702
    Darkshadows, I amm sorry to hear of the loss of another young man to the realities of drinking and driving. I lost a firend in college to a repeat offender who at the time of the accident had multiple offeneses and her children in the car. My friend was driving, she was 19. She and her siblings were on their way to the graduation party for my then boyfriend. She was hospitalized for several days before she passed away. Her father was a state policeman who unfortunately wascalled to the scene before they realized it was his daughter... her Mom has still not really recovered from the loss of her daughter. I sincerely hope that this offender has the book thrown at him, that he has a significant sentance that includes a long time of public service that benefits those who have been victimized by DUI, andf most importantly I hope his friends and family are able to grieve and able to still move on.. dwelling on the tragedy and the loss is like a life sentance.. and doesnt best remember those who were lost.. only makes more folks suffer than need be. I hope justice is served, faith and hope restored. Hugs to his family, may they find peace.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Oh my gosh, D_S. This is horrible news. And of course the drunk driver lived. I'm so sorry for you and your friend and their family. I will keep you all in my prayers.

    There's no excuse for being allowed to drive or be free on your 3rd DUI. I hope he gets some serious jail time, but from what I've seen in the past he will probably just get a few years.

    I'm worried about you too, D_S. You've been through so much just this year alone. ((D_S))
    To my so very dearest Taximom,
    Nick was not wearing a seatbelt. But the damage to the side that he was in would not have mattered. he would have perished with or without it.
    It is not uncommon for people in this state to be free on a 3rd DUI.
    I am going to pass your words onto my friend. When her son is ready, he will read your words.
    You are so right Taximom when you say that I have been through so much in one year alone. I have come within an inch of a nervous breakdown many times. I truly thank God for everyone in my life, and you are one of the ones that I am so grateful for.

    So much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

    Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson View Post
    I am so sorry for your family's lost D_S and the boy's family will be in my prayers. What a terrible terrible thing to happen to a young man.
    To my very dearest CP,
    You have been there for me since I first came onto this website. I am going to pass your message onto my friend so that her son can see the heart of someone states away. i do not know when he will see your message, but I can tell you that when he is ready, he will be amazed at the Love and support he has from someone states away.

    So very much love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

    Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    4th DUI - that's horrible.

    But I think it's entirely possible that he will get more than a few years - multiple DUI makes a murder charge more likely. As it should be.
    My dearest Details,
    Many people are going to be keeping up with this case. I want to thank-you for your post.
    So much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

    Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    (((DS)))

    So sorry for this boy and all who loved him.

    I have to believe that every one of these cases teaches our judges some hard lessons about how they sentence drunk drivers. I hope that lives will be saved if just one of them thinks of Nick the next time they are deciding between jail time and community service.
    Dearest Angelmom,
    We are praying for what you say in your post.
    I want to thank-you so very much for posting here.

    So much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,120
    Quote Originally Posted by opme View Post
    Darkshadows, I amm sorry to hear of the loss of another young man to the realities of drinking and driving. I lost a firend in college to a repeat offender who at the time of the accident had multiple offeneses and her children in the car. My friend was driving, she was 19. She and her siblings were on their way to the graduation party for my then boyfriend. She was hospitalized for several days before she passed away. Her father was a state policeman who unfortunately wascalled to the scene before they realized it was his daughter... her Mom has still not really recovered from the loss of her daughter. I sincerely hope that this offender has the book thrown at him, that he has a significant sentance that includes a long time of public service that benefits those who have been victimized by DUI, andf most importantly I hope his friends and family are able to grieve and able to still move on.. dwelling on the tragedy and the loss is like a life sentance.. and doesnt best remember those who were lost.. only makes more folks suffer than need be. I hope justice is served, faith and hope restored. Hugs to his family, may they find peace.
    My dearest Opme,
    Your words are words to be thaken to heart.

    I want to thank-you so much for your post. It means alot.

    So much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,793
    Good Lord, Dark Shadows, i give my condolences..
    That was that man's 4th DWI he needs to be locked up for life. That's reckless disregard for human life. You would think some people learn after there first dwi, yet this is his 4th, their are no excuses for this at all.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,120
    Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    Good Lord, Dark Shadows, i give my condolences..
    That was that man's 4th DWI he needs to be locked up for life. That's reckless disregard for human life. You would think some people learn after there first dwi, yet this is his 4th, their are no excuses for this at all.
    Dearest MeoW333,
    I appreciate your post very much.

    Here is a case here where a man had 11 DUI convictions before he was brought to justice. The case states 3rd offence , but read the document and you will see the 11 convictions.

    Look for this to see the paragraph, ( <Page 2>).


    Court document
    Scroll down to;
    The district court
    considered evidence that defendant has at least eleven prior DUI
    convictions and found "by clear and convincing evidence that defendant's
    release on bail would present a substantial threat of physical danger,
    violence, and harm to other persons using the public highways."



    Also, scroll down to see the claim that Gardner is mentally Retarde; Scroll down where it is page 8/46.
    This is what you will see;

    In a recent case, a Vermont court held that a person with mental retardation was
    competent but needed the assistance of a cognitive interpreter to assure that he
    understood the proceedings and was able to express himself clearly. State v.
    Arnold Gardner, Docket No. 1096-9-97 FrCr J. Kilburn (December 1998).
    Vermont courts have considered other accommodations for people with
    cognitive impairments as well, such as more frequent breaks, intermittent
    inquiries to confirm a defendant's comprehension of the proceedings,
    involvement of support


    http://www.ucp.org/uploads/ddsgeneralassemblyreport.pdf


    All of my Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,406
    Oh, D_S, my heart breaks to read this. I do not know what to say. And like others, I do not know why someone with 3 prior DWIs still has a license (though I suspect that might not even keep someone like this off the road).

    I will keep your friend's family in my prayers. What a senseless, devastating tragedy.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,120
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Oh, D_S, my heart breaks to read this. I do not know what to say. And like others, I do not know why someone with 3 prior DWIs still has a license (though I suspect that might not even keep someone like this off the road).

    I will keep your friend's family in my prayers. What a senseless, devastating tragedy.
    My very dear Southcitymom,
    Thank-you for being here. Your heart is very much appreciated.

    So much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    What a senseless death.... when are people going to learn... when are there going to be stricter laws about this? What is it with this country that people who are so clearly a danger to others a left to wander and drive the streets?!? I am getting so tired of this...

    DS, I'm sorry... his family and loved ones will be in my prayers... and so will you, you sound like you need it. {{{{DS}}}}

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,870
    Oh, Dark Shadows, I am so very sorry. Please accept a cyber hug (((DS))). Life can be so hard. Unfortunately, tragedy eventually strikes us all in some form or other. It is just so much more horrible when the tragedy involves the elements of youth, and repeat offenders. It always seems as though this should have been preventable. I think it also makes it harder when it is the holiday season. If there is anything we can do, or you just need someone to talk to, we are always here for you. (((DS)))

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,811
    I am so sorry to read about this. My thoughts and prayers go out for the young man and all of his family and friends.

    I hope they throw the book at this guy. Things like this that could be avoided if they had put him away the first time, just make me furious.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,449
    I wish there were a way to test for driver impairment, and a passing score would be the only way in order to have the cars even operate.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,435
    There's nothing to say DS except to add my sincerest condolences to you, your son and Nick's family and friends. I'm so sorry.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,940
    DS,
    I am sorry for your loss. It can be particularly hard when a son or daughter's friend dies a senseless death. Prayers to you, your son and the victim's loved ones.

    I hate drunk drivers. This guy should have been locked up a long time ago.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,433
    D_S........you sure have had your fill of heart break-- enough is enough is enough for you---------------------
    I am so sorry-
    j2m

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
    Posts
    6,673
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    Click here for link

    COLCHESTER -- A Swanton teenager died early Saturday morning when the car in which he was riding was struck by another driving in the wrong direction on Interstate 89 by a man who allegedly admitted to police that he had come from a local bar.

    Vermont State Police said Nicolas Fournier, 18, of Swanton died on impact as the result of internal injuries from the crash, which occurred shortly after midnight.
    More at link.


    This will be the 4th DUI conviction for this man if he is convicted.

    Click here for Nick's photo and a photo of the wrond way driver with article


    Respectfully,
    dark_shadows
    d_s, I am so sorry for your son's loss. A guy I went to school with lost his wife when she was hit by a drunk driver.....she was in her early 20's. Then, my boss lost his sister, two nieces and a nephew to a drunk driver. Some people never learn.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,841
    DS:

    Please accept my deepest condolences on your loss and the family's loss of a beloved friend/son.

    We had a case here in Ohio last year of a drunk driver who had been convicted 11 TIMES. His 12th drunken driving charged killed 2 young college students and seriously maimed a third. Our Judge put him in prison for life. yea!!!!!!!!!!!

    It was sickening to read all the other cases and how the Judge's just slapped his wrist and let him out.

    IMO, you only get ONE shot with a DUI, after that, PRISON PRISON PRISON AND ANKLE MONITORING OR SOMETHING SO YOU DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE AGAIN.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,977
    Dear dark_shadows,

    I'm so sorry to hear of this. This family is in my prayers.

    Many years ago some friend's of my parents lost their daughter in the same tragic way. She was on her way home from work on the freeway and a drunk driver was driving on the wrong side and hit her head on. . She was killed immediately.

    My parents were even more protective of me after that tragedy. It happened shortly after I got my driver's license.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,120
    To my very dearest ones, JanetElaine, Reannan, Tranaice, GlitchWizard, Philamena, J2mirish, Browneyes, Littledeer and NewMom2003,
    Much Love and Respect for all of you.

    Thank-you for the cyber hugs and all of the Love and compassion that you are sending.
    I saw my friend at work today and her son is taking this very hard. What makes it even harder for him is the fact that someone that he looked up to is was recently pulled over again for the second DUI. This is also a person that my son looked up to since he was a young teen. The man is from our town.

    Here is the link to click on for that article;

    Hockey Star Pleads Not Guilty to DUI
    Another link to click on;
    Leclair arraigned on drunk driving

    This article is from today pertaining to the topic of this thread;

    Why Was Suspected Drunk Driver Out on Parole?


    This man only a few towns away was in the news for this;
    Man Arrested Driving Truck Registered to 13-Year-Old Daughter


    The posts from all of you mean alot and I truly thank-you all so much.

    So much Love and Respect for all of you,
    dark_shadows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •