1403 users online (317 members and 1086 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TX - Man shoots, kills burglars despite orders from 911 operator, 14 Nov 2007

I saw this on the news this morning and thought it might make for a good discussion.

http://www.ksn.com/news/also/11483151.html

The Pasadena man made the call when he saw two men climb out a window of his neighbor's home on Wednesday.
    The 911 operator warned the man several times to stay in his home, but the man took matters into his own hands and confronted the burglars.

Operator: You're going to get yourself shot if you go outside that house with the gun."
    Caller: "You wanna make a bet? I'm going to kill them."
    Moments later a shotgun was heard firing at least twice.
    Both suspects died at the scene. Their names have not been released.
    Police found a pillowcase stuffed with hundreds of dollars.

Geez, these were his neighbor's burglars! I think people are just tired of being robbed.

People are doing the same here-taking back the streets.
    Last edited by Taximom; 11-18-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Despite the fact they were robbing his neighbor's house, it could have been his house next. I think we all should have the right to shoot/take out burglers. This kind of neighborhood watch/vigilante would certainly make robbers think twice about breaking in or committing worse crimes. The only problem with that would be people shooting trigger happy so there would have to be some guidelines..

Good for him. I think the only thing he should get for this is....a medal.

The first thing that ran through my mind was what use to happen in our subdivision years ago. All the kids had curfews and parents thought they were being responsible. And this story makes me think how it could have been my son or friends and neighbors sons that were shot. In our neighborhood we have an individual who is a cop wannabe who pulled guns all of the time - threatened kids at Halloween for throwing corn for example. Kids, usually boys, would be home on time, go to their rooms - and later leave by their bedroom window. Yes, they should not have done this, yes they were doing something wrong - but not doing something to be shot over. My kids are grown and this was something that I learned years later when they were telling stories on themselves - I have told them if I didn't already know about it, don't tell me now!

The man called 911 and was told LE was on the way - he wanted to shoot and kill someone, something even a good trained cop only does if necessary. I am not against people protecting themselves or others when lives are in danger. There is nothing in my house outside of family and pets that a burglar can steal worth taking a life - IMO.
    Some people try to turn back their odometers.
    Not me! I want people to know why I look this way.
    I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Don't hold hate in your heart, it takes up too much room

Quote Originally Posted by lorann View Post
    ......There is nothing in my house outside of family and pets that a burglar can steal worth taking a life - IMO.
    I agree completely.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

In most of Texas, they are now calling Joe Horn a good neighbor.

and they are also saying he wasted a perfectly good bullet

(it took him 3 shots to kill the two burglars)

He is a good neighbor. If someone were breaking into my house, i would rather my neighbors shoot them also. It's a personal violation for intruders to enter the home.

I must say that I am slightly shocked by the cavalier attitude that this person displayed toward human LIVES. Families don't grieve for lifetimes over "a pillowcase stuffed with hundreds of dollars". I wonder what the premium on these 2 men's lives were - 5, 6, 7 hundred dollars?

The only thing I would have shot them with is my camera.

this is why in fl the robber has to be in your house. He should not have gone after them it could have been a teenager sneaking out of his house, the owner going to have an affair what ever, I think he was wrong. IMO

I don't have a problem with people shooting intruders into their homes to protect themselves and their families. But shooting burglars leaving a neighbor's house? How could that be legal? How would that be different than finding out someone was a burglar and just murdering him?

Well, you can defend your residence and legally shoot an intruder but I don't think you can legally do so to protect someone else's property. Someone else's life, yes, but not someone else's property.

If this were deemed ok, all kinds of tragedies would occur.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by eve View Post
    Well, you can defend your residence and legally shoot an intruder but I don't think you can legally do so to protect someone else's property. Someone else's life, yes, but not someone else's property.

If this were deemed ok, all kinds of tragedies would occur.

Eve
    The law in Texas says you can, according to the attorneys on Abrams last night.

Quote Originally Posted by bnhall View Post
    The law in Texas says you can, according to the attorneys on Abrams last night.
    Dan also hinted that he must have gone back in and read a law book saying they came on his property, that's why he shot... His voice was actually shocking in that he seemed to get off being able to kill someone. Brrrr
    Some people try to turn back their odometers.
    Not me! I want people to know why I look this way.
    I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Don't hold hate in your heart, it takes up too much room

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast