Wichita doctor makes dramatic stem cell discovery

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.ksn.com/news/local/11493481.html
Wichita doctor makes dramatic stem cell discoveryby Josh Witsman

Story Created: Nov 16, 2007 at 6:13 PM CST
Story Updated: Nov 16, 2007 at 6:48 PM CST

WICHITA, Kansas, Nov. 16, 2007 - A Wichita doctor has found that adult stem cells can be harvested from a woman's menstrual fluid and developed into nine different types of human tissue.

Dr. Meng of the Center for the Improvement of Human Functioning International made the discovery. His findings show the adult stem cells harvested from the fluid can be developed into tissues such as heart, lung, liver, bone, and others. The discovery is dramatic because it involves adult stem cells -- not embryonic stem cells, which have been the source of recent controversy.
Researchers hope these harvested cells will one day work to repair dead and dying tissues in our bodies. (more plus video at link)

That could be one of the most remarkable breakthroughs in modern medicine. I hope it is valid and can be applied.

It is a great find, I would just really not wanna know how he got the specimen lol. Its amazing the things they figure out

I hope you can't sell your menstrual fluid! :eek: :sick:

This is so interesting! Up until now the thinking was that menstrual fluid was just mere waste exiting the body.

I hope you can't sell your menstrual fluid! :eek: :sick:

Why shouldn't we? You can sell (and buy) semen, platelets, eggs plus donate the same and more....breast milk included.

We ain't using it! Use a Diva cup and you won't even have to worry about how to collect it.

If it would help find a cure for even one disease I'd donate!

I'd donate, but not sell!

Trixie!! lol I can relate sometimes.

Waste not want not! At least maybe something good can come out of this mess!:eek:

More good news on the stem cell front:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hTOWrq85W3TGNU3X842XvGrjMcqAD8T1GF100
Yamanaka first made waves with a landmark paper last year that detailed how he slipped four genes into mouse skin cells, enabling the altered cells to behave much like embryonic stem cells in lab tests.
The new method removes the need to destroy embryos — an action many people oppose and that has become a major stumbling block for funding and regulating research.
Building on his earlier work, Yamanaka has now shown that cells can also be reprogrammed to produce cells that are genetically matched to a person.
"I was surprised when we achieved our results with the mouse," said Yamanaka. "But proving what we could do with human cells really bowled me over."
Yamanaka said his method has the advantage of being relatively easy and inexpensive to duplicate, especially since the cells can be obtained so easily. But he also worries about the road some people might take. (more at link)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back