GUILTY UT - Chad Grijalva & Derek Davis, both 34, found murdered, Beryl, 24 Oct 2007

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312137,00.html

BERYL, Utah — Authorities arrested a man for failing to register as a sex offender and then returned to his property for a shocking discovery: The bodies of two men missing for weeks were buried under a shed.
The identities still were being confirmed through autopsies Sunday, "but we're fairly confident" they are the men, Iron County Sheriff Mark Gower said.
With help from police dogs, the bodies were unearthed Saturday night, Gower said.
Chad Grijalva and Derek Davis, both 34, haven't been seen since Oct. 24. They lived in a neighboring county, Washington, here in southwestern Utah.
Gower said his deputies had no idea that a routine arrest would turn into a homicide investigation. (more at link)

I wonder how many more there might be?

I wonder if this guy has been anywhere near Atlanta and Charlotte recently?

Here is a link to information that includes pictures of the two men. This is a snipet from the article:

"Washington County Sheriff's deputies said Chad Grijalva and Derek Davis, both 34, disappeared on Oct. 24, telling friends and family they were travelling to Cedar City and planned to return to St. George that evening. The men never returned, deputies said. "They've dropped completely off the face of the earth," Washington County Sheriff's Lt. Jake Adams said Thursday. "There's been no financial transactions. They've just disappeared."

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695223893,00.html

I've recently seen a thread on the two missing men but can't find it doing a search with their names. Maybe the two threads can be merged.

I've recently seen a thread on the two missing men but can't find it doing a search with their names. Maybe the two threads can be merged.

I googled the one victim's name before making this a new thread, but didn't find anything. I think the WS search feature stinks half the time!

I googled the one victim's name before making this a new thread, but didn't find anything. I think the WS search feature stinks half the time!

I agree. Maybe they were listed under one of the other cases of missing men so they may not have their own thread...until now.

I don't think either of these two murdered men were ever publicized very heavily as being missing. Being adults, and being male, they sort of fell through the cracks. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I think we will not have a thread here for them. The other two missing males are Justin Gaines from the Atlanta area and Kyle Fleischmann from Charlotte, NC. Justin went missing around 1:00 am on Friday 11/2/07. Kyle went missing around 2:00 am on Friday Morning, 11/9/07. These two guys went missing essentially one week apart from bars located about 4 hours apart in two large metropolitan areas. They both seem to have disappeared from the face of the planet without any trace.

...And Chris Coan is still missing in Utah. Chris was last seen leaving work on Labor Day from Subway in Cedar City, not far from where these two gents have been found - I looked for a thread on the two guys, (after I saw news from their area (KSL), while looking for updates on 18 year old Chris), but there wasn't a thread already, and sadly they were found before I could post anything... They went missing a month after Chris did.

I think I read a snippet about them going to the murderer's house to see if one of the guys could get paid for some tiling work he had done for him - What chance could they stand against a gun - They looked really strong in photos, but it would be difficult to grapple someone for a gun, if you'd been surprised... Deeply sad for the families concerned...

Charges still not filed in murder case
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2559265

A rumor is making the rounds in the Cedar City area that investigators haven't come up with enough evidence to charge the prime suspect, but the sheriff says that's simply not true.
Martin Chris Nelson has been in jail for more than two months. Authorities are holding him on some minor charges while they investigate the double homicide.
The rural property where he was living was cluttered with junk. In November, investigators probing the disappearance of two southern Utah men found their vehicle amidst Nelson's junk. With the help of cadaver dogs, they unearthed two bodies buried in the dirt floor of a shed.
We've learned that Derek Davis and Chad Grijalva were shot a total of 13 times, and that a weapon found in Nelson's home holds 15 rounds at a time. (more at link)

:(

ummm how can their not be enough evidence when 2 bodies riddled with gunshots were found in the weirdos home?

Charges still not filed in murder case
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2559265

A rumor is making the rounds in the Cedar City area that investigators haven't come up with enough evidence to charge the prime suspect, but the sheriff says that's simply not true.
Martin Chris Nelson has been in jail for more than two months. Authorities are holding him on some minor charges while they investigate the double homicide.
The rural property where he was living was cluttered with junk. In November, investigators probing the disappearance of two southern Utah men found their vehicle amidst Nelson's junk. With the help of cadaver dogs, they unearthed two bodies buried in the dirt floor of a shed.
We've learned that Derek Davis and Chad Grijalva were shot a total of 13 times, and that a weapon found in Nelson's home holds 15 rounds at a time. (more at link)

:(

I have to wonder if they are bargaining with him to tell them about more victims. If he confesses to where more bodies may be, they might take the DP off the table or something. Just a thought.

From February 2010:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ed-death-penalty-in-double-murder.html?pg=all

In December, a jury convicted Nelson of two counts of capital murder...

Nelson was ordered to serve two consecutive terms of life in prison without parole, in addition to a concurrent one-to-15-year term for theft involving the stolen gun he had used to shoot the men...

Fred Grijalva said he believes Nelson ambushed his son and his son's friend when they came to collect money Nelson owed Grijalva for slate tile.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back