Why This Case?

Vegas Bride

Reaction score
There are so many horrible cases in the news, so many missing people we can't keep up with them all, many husbands who are abusive etc, so why does this case strike such a cord in so many? I find that I can't stop thinking about it and of course keep hoping Stacy will be found soon.
In part it seems when I see a picture of Stacy IMO there's a look in her eyes, a haunted look that really touches me, then there's the pictures of Kathleen, so full of life and ready to go on after the years of h^^$ DP put her through. Then I see the pictures and videos of DP with his smug arrogence and it also strikes me to the core.

VB

Since I started writing my blog, I haven't had the time to follow any case in depth the way I used to. And to tell the truth, I have covered other cases with missing wives and mothers and at the most have just tried to keep an eye on whether or not the ones I had written about were ever found. And I have covered cases where one death called attention to other deaths.

But then this case came along. And what caught my eye was the behavior of Drew P. First it was his attempts at hiding, then his lashing out at the media. Now it is his apparent callousness and inane behavior. To be honest it is more Drew P that caught my attention than anything. It is the bizarreness of his behavior, his callousness. And he doesn't stop. Every day there is some new outrageous comment or bizarre action.

There are so many horrible cases in the news, so many missing people we can't keep up with them all, many husbands who are abusive etc, so why does this case strike such a cord in so many? I find that I can't stop thinking about it and of course keep hoping Stacy will be found soon.
In part it seems when I see a picture of Stacy IMO there's a look in her eyes, a haunted look that really touches me, then there's the pictures of Kathleen, so full of life and ready to go on after the years of h^^$ DP put her through. Then I see the pictures and videos of DP with his smug arrogence and it also strikes me to the core. VB

I think it's caught media attention because it involved a cop. Then, as the case progressed, the story snowballed when it was found to possibly involve the death of another wife.

It touches me very deeply as it brings back to me some emotions I thought I had buried and released and gotten over.

My abusive ex, the "I could care less attitude" the leaving of my life in shambles, the mean and untrue things he said about me. The fact that this guy is a cop and my ex was a cop. Before I recovered and went on with my life I married another "sociopath". These guys are so charming at first, so good looking at first (I know, Drew is not a dream guy)

I often think I was lucky to not have been killed. I still look over my shoulder constantly. After being married to one of these guys you are never the same. Your life is changed forever! You don't trust easily.

Getting away is a nightmare.

This case doubly touches me. I think he did it more than one time. I think he's a sociopath that doesn't care.

I have a heart for hurting women, and I find that more often then not..this story repeats itself several times a day in homes across America.

"We" as a people and a nation need to find a way to make it stop. The system isn't working.

That's "why this case" for me.:banghead:

The case has become the Illinois State Police's top priority and has been infused with additional officers, a source close to the investigation said.

In a media age where the competition to break news is fierce and public hunger for instant information seems insatiable, some cases have blown up into celebrity stories: Chandra Levy, Laci Peterson, Natalee Holloway, and now, Stacy Peterson. Most of the stories have common themes, including attractive victims who were at first missing persons, but the Bolingbrook case offers extra curiosities: Thirty years separate Stacy Peterson, 23, and her cop husband, 53, whose third wife died under mysterious circumstances.

"We like to believe we select stories based on their merits," said Steve Katz, supervising producer of "America's Most Wanted," which is preparing a lengthy segment on the case this week. "But we're human beings and all kinds of value judgments come into play."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/servi...rcus_20nov20,0,300442.story?coll=chi-site-nav

I think this caught my eye for several reasons.
1. Drew is a cop ..aka Bobby Cutts
2. Drew is 30 yrs her senior.
3. Drew seemed extremely uninterested in finding her, and extremely uninterested in the matter of his 3rd wife Kitty until the autopsy results came out.
4. Drew's behavior is so bizarre, he says one thing, then acts differently. Viewing his actions with and about the media alone. I don't want any contact with the media, they are making my life hell, then interviews with People, the Today show, reporters in front of his house.

This is a really great question, I used to ask myself this all the time during the other Peterson trial, why?

To me I think it is simply that it is a young innocent woman and her young innocent kids that have been so very wronged but such a monster that looks just like anyone else. I actually always try to find the reason behind these monster that look just like everyone else.

It touches me very deeply as it brings back to me some emotions I thought I had buried and released and gotten over.

My abusive ex, the "I could care less attitude" the leaving of my life in shambles, the mean and untrue things he said about me. The fact that this guy is a cop and my ex was a cop. Before I recovered and went on with my life I married another "sociopath". These guys are so charming at first, so good looking at first (I know, Drew is not a dream guy)

I often think I was lucky to not have been killed. I still look over my shoulder constantly. After being married to one of these guys you are never the same. Your life is changed forever! You don't trust easily. Getting away is a nightmare. This case doubly touches me. I think he did it more than one time. I think he's a sociopath that doesn't care. I have a heart for hurting women, and I find that more often then not..this story repeats itself several times a day in homes across America. "We" as a people and a nation need to find a way to make it stop. The system isn't working. That's "why this case" for me.:banghead:

I agree that violence against women is an epidemic in the US. While women have made strides in sports, education, and job opportunities, true equality still hasn't been achieved. Honestly, sports are still the worst. Example: Tennessee women's BB has resorted to giving a chance at a full tuition to those who attend their games. Wrestling (and I know from experience) is the absolute worst for a male chauvinist attitute. But, how does this relate to DP?

There are a lot of men, especially older men like DP, who see women as secondary citizens and sweet things to be protected. When a woman feels she is capable of making her own decisions, boom... And, these attitudes are still being passed down to their sons.

What can be done? IMO it will take more than one generation to change the attitudes of a nation. Meanwhile, let's go after the good old boys, as in those in BB.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I agree that violence against women is an epidemic in the US. While women have made strides in sports, education, and job opportunities, true equality still hasn't been achieved. Honestly, sports are still the worst. Example: Tennessee women's BB has resorted to giving a chance at a full tuition to those who attend their games. Wrestling (and I know from experience) is the absolute worst for a male chauvinist attitute. But, how does this relate to DP?

There are a lot of men, especially older men like DP, who see women as secondary citizens and sweet things to be protected. When a woman feels she is capable of making her own decisions, boom... And, these attitudes are still being passed down to their sons.

What can be done? IMO it will take more than one generation to change the attitudes of a nation. Meanwhile, let's go after the good old boys, as in those in BB.

There are ways to help promote those changes. If you belong to a church or club, invite speakers from your local DV agency to come and speak. It helps to spread awareness and you learn what your community needs. Maybe your church or club could sponsor a DV agency. Most agencies run on very limited funds.
Check with your employer and see if they have a DV policy for their employees. Oregon state agencies, some hospitals and some employers have developed polices to assist their employees if they become victims to DV. If your workplace doesn't have a policy, propose one. If the employer is resistant, talk to them about how DV affects the workplace in lost work time, higher insurance costs, and the danger of an abusive husband who may continue the abuse into the workplace.
Check out your community for how they handle DV problems. Make note of any news reports on DV crimes and try to find out how they were resolved (not an easy task as most DV crimes are ignored by media unless a murder is involved.) Find out what your local laws regarding DV are and be prepared to support any changes in local and federal laws. Statistics say that one in 3 women know someone who has been abused within the last year. So what you learn could become helpful to someone you know.

I often think I was lucky to not have been killed. I still look over my shoulder constantly. After being married to one of these guys you are never the same. Your life is changed forever! You don't trust easily.

Getting away is a nightmare.

This case doubly touches me. I think he did it more than one time. I think he's a sociopath that doesn't care.

I have a heart for hurting women, and I find that more often then not..this story repeats itself several times a day in homes across America.

"We" as a people and a nation need to find a way to make it stop. The system isn't working.

That's "why this case" for me.:banghead:

The domestic violence aspect of Drew caught my attention. My father was very abusive to my mother. Had she not found the courage to leave when she did I believe she, if not all of us would have ended up dead. These cases weigh on my heart.

I have a brother that seems to be following in our father's foot steps. I take in all the information I can in an effort to find a way to do something about it. Everything I've tried has failed. I read about these men who kill their wives hoping to find flaws in them that I can't find in my brother. Hoping to find something that says he's different.

The reason I have followed this case so closely is because from Day One...I suspected the husband. This case is eerily similar to the disappearance of Lisa Stebic which I have followed with much interest.

The way that Lisa's husband, Craig, has avoided arrest and kept his children from being interviewed until a Grand Jury intervened is almost like a play book for Drew Peterson.

The reason the nation is so into this case is obvious. It is sensational when you throw in the age difference, his third wife's mysterious death and coverup, his cheating on 3 of the 4 wives (we just haven't found the last mistress, imo), his abuse of the last 3 wives (I believe the first wife is lying or doesn't know what abuse really is), and the odd behavior he has exhibited since she went missing (like not filing a report, hiding his face, and his bizarre interviews/comedy routines).

Drew Peterson is the epitome of an abuser. Eventually, his face will be burned into everyone's memory as one of the worst of the worst...once all of the allegations are proven to be true. This is the monster our mothers warned us about!

Whoa, with all due respect..I am an ordained women's minister. I know for a fact that churches don't want to help with Domestic Violence issues. Especially in small towns.
My employer is God...LOL.
I am well aware of how things work with the LE in this town. Last weekend a domestic violence victim called the police. She had a restraining order against her husband. He pulled up on the edge of her property and she called the sheriff. The officer that responded said "Do you want to take me and show me where he is" DUH...not with that gun in his hand I don't
I think I know that you are an excellent crime researcher and blogger and that you have been on court TV. I list you on my myspace page as someone I would like to meet.
On this though you are under the impression that we all are, until we are involved personally.
I do think you are great at what you do though!:angel:

There are ways to help promote those changes. If you belong to a church or club, invite speakers from your local DV agency to come and speak. It helps to spread awareness and you learn what your community needs. Maybe your church or club could sponsor a DV agency. Most agencies run on very limited funds.
Check with your employer and see if they have a DV policy for their employees. Oregon state agencies, some hospitals and some employers have developed polices to assist their employees if they become victims to DV. If your workplace doesn't have a policy, propose one. If the employer is resistant, talk to them about how DV affects the workplace in lost work time, higher insurance costs, and the danger of an abusive husband who may continue the abuse into the workplace.
Check out your community for how they handle DV problems. Make note of any news reports on DV crimes and try to find out how they were resolved (not an easy task as most DV crimes are ignored by media unless a murder is involved.) Find out what your local laws regarding DV are and be prepared to support any changes in local and federal laws. Statistics say that one in 3 women know someone who has been abused within the last year. So what you learn could become helpful to someone you know.

Now you have me curious, curiostycat. Why does the church not want to get involved in domestic violence issues?
Would advising a congregation of the possibilies of assistance in your community be a problem?
Would helping a victim find assistance be a problem?
Would helping an abuser find other ways to work within a relationship other than abuse be a problem?

I'm not sure why I started following. It just caught my eye and took a while for media to catch on to the strange twists but i just knew something wasnt right!

(Not having read the replies here yet, I'll answer.) For me, because he was a police officer, and his third wife died under suspicious circumstances to say the least. Police officers are held to a higher standard, and anytime one is abusive to their spouse it draws my attention. This is because I wonder, if they treat their wives that way, how else do they act? In what ways do they power trip while on the job? (Power trippping is addictive, abusers often abuse for the rush from exerting their authority/holding power over their spouse.) Do they pretend to be a straight arrow, when actually they are corrupt and maybe do shady things like taking bribes, or "confiscating" items from people, or purloining drugs from the evidence lockers? Are they a "dirty cop", or are they a "bully cop"?

On previewing my post some replies caught my eye: Not all churches refuse to help Domestic Violence victims. There is a church in my town which helps/sponsers the nearby battered women's shelter, this I know for a fact. For the churches that do, I'd say it's because some churches think that if the couple is married in the church, than they shouldn't divorce, period. I think that is sort of where that attitude comes from, in at least some cases.

Certain cases just seem to grab me for some reason. I've never been able to figure out why. But this is one of them.

Myster...thanks for asking..:D
Men are the first ministers and sometimes the only ministers that women talk to, in most churches.
They usually tell women"Divorce is a sin, God wants you to work it out" Well God does hate divorce but I have found scriptures that say He hates abuse too. I tell them to separate and it may be necessary to divorce.
It's not popular in all churches to say that. Women thinking independently of their husbands is still frowned upon in many fundamentalist churches.
A whole lot of abusers are men that go to church. Women are embarrassed to reach out, therefore.
You should read my e-mail for a month. The reality of it will shock you. I have pastors wives who can't get help.
My dream is to get the government out of the DV business and to bring together a team of pastors who are willing to ask the church for a fund to be set apart to help DV victims. This includes sexual abuse victims in the home.
I envision having Christian homes for women that need shelter, and counseling and have them pampered by Christian hair dressers, ect.
If the DV alliances work then why are women being abused more then ever in this country?? They don't work.
Four years ago the Bush administration said they were releasing more grant money for Domestic Violence advocacy groups. I wrote them and asked if faith based groups could be considered for some of that grant money.
I got no answer, but I did get a Christmas card from George and Laura the next year. LOL
I am looking for social change within the Churches, but to be honest, some of these MEGA CHURCHES are more interested in "money grabbing" then helping the flock.
I know this is brutally honest, but I have been working with victims fulltime for four years, I am weary.
IMHO men seeing all these men kill their wives and get by with it is even causing more violence.
:angel:

Now you have me curious, curiostycat. Why does the church not want to get involved in domestic violence issues?
Would advising a congregation of the possibilies of assistance in your community be a problem?
Would helping a victim find assistance be a problem?
Would helping an abuser find other ways to work within a relationship other than abuse be a problem?

I first saw this case on this site. It took a lot of reading to get all the background, but, when I did, Stacy caught my attention right off. I knew there was no way the events happened according to Drew. I really felt for her. Just a newly teenager and along comes Mr 'I will take care of you' Peterson. In my minds eye I have a picture of an ungodly predator, just stalking the shore for a vulnerable. "Get the weakest", says the predator to himself. "They're the easiest. And they don't have much strength for a fight".

I think that's his nature. He's just a predator. Unthinking. Unseeing. Uncaring. He sets his eye, and the poor woman who falls into his jaws is just so much fodder for his outrageous libido and ego, and his beady eye on the $$$$$$$..

I think he chose the least resistance with his wife #! & 2. He seems to have a fixation with water. Then things got difficult.

Sociopath? um, yes. Narccissist? Um, yes. Guilty of murder? Let's get him into court.

I can't equate him with any natural world predator. I tried Killer whales, leorpald seals, bears, ganetts, all wild cats, all wild dogs, wild hogs, all the wild beasts in africa, all the sharks. They only hunt to feed, and survive, and procreate. Do any of them KILL their mates? I don't think so.

I hope Staycy's body is found.

CC I applaud you for your efforts :clap: Changing any system- government, court, law enforcement, employers, or churches is not easy. But it can be done, just the way you are doing it. One small system at a time.

Some things that might be helpful with the naysayers is that most DV agencies are very aware that the individual has the choice to stay or leave and that no one can make them do otherwise. And while they may counsel a victim to leave an unsafe situation, they do leave the choice to the individual. Also, there are safety plans and tips for individuals who choose to stay in an abusive relationship. And the agencies sometimes provide or have access to programs to help abusers to learn other ways of handling problems (at times that can make it easier for a victim to remain in the marriage.) So just because they want to promote the sanctity of marriage, is no excuse not to promote safety too. If the church and the DV agency worked together, there is a higher possibility that the marriage can be rehabilated than ignoring the problem until either the victim leaves or someone is harmed. You might say it is a way to promote a closer, safer and more loving relationship between the couple, lol.

On a personal note, I would love to have those scriptures against abuse. Could you pm them to me?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back