gearing up for Black Friday

close_enough

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Retailers get ready for Black Friday

Battle-hardened shoppers will be part of the hustle and bustle at many retailers this Friday, the day after Thanksgiving that typically kicks off the holiday-shopping season. It's known as Black Friday because that's when many retailers turn black for the year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...=%7BD11AE6A3-919B-45F2-A088-5E25A0676D21}

how many of you folks will head out bright & early Friday morning?

Gosh...I wouldn't stand in line for that long just to save $500.00!:bang:

They couldn't pay me to go shopping on Friday or any day between now and Christmas.
What few gifts I haven't already bought, I will order over the Internet or the phone.

No way jose!!! I think its absolutely ridiculous! Id rather just spend the extra couple dollars on a regular shopping day then go through that mess! Parking, lines, dressing rooms...that would drive me nuts.

Not me! I have to work tomorrow and Thursday, and Friday is my first day off (until Tuesday) and I will be sleeping in with DD! And even if it was my 12th day off in a row (or something, lol) I wouldn't. Nope.

They couldn't pay me to go shopping on Friday or any day between now and Christmas.What few gifts I haven't already bought, I will order over the Internet or the phone.

lol, you sound like me, although i WILL have to hit 1 store (it's in the mall, ugh) betw now & Christmas, for a gift card.....the other cards i'll give as gifts (2 or 3) will be picked up at the local Walgreens or Kroger....i love that these two stores have a GREAT selection of gift cards from all over...restaurants gift cards, dept store cards, gas cards, etc...i too, have picked up a few things already & am so glad i did....

other than the gift cards, i'll also shop online too...love it!:cool:
it's so easy.....

i know a lady i use to work with...she lives for "Black Friday".....her & 3 or 4 of her friends take their cell phones & split up in diff directions at the malls...it's like a treasure hunt for them....i know a few others that will be out bright & early Friday....i must admit, some of them DO get some pretty good deals.....it's just not my 'thang' though.....

This is the day i stay inside the house at home not to venture out into throngs of traffic, accidents, and zany shoppers..

lol, you sound like me, although i WILL have to hit 1 store (it's in the mall, ugh) betw now & Christmas, for a gift card.....the other cards i'll give as gifts (2 or 3) will be picked up at the local Walgreens or Kroger....i love that these two stores have a GREAT selection of gift cards from all over...restaurants gift cards, dept store cards, gas cards, etc...i too, have picked up a few things already & am so glad i did....

other than the gift cards, i'll also shop online too...love it!:cool:
it's so easy.....

i know a lady i use to work with...she lives for "Black Friday".....her & 3 or 4 of her friends take their cell phones & split up in diff directions at the malls...it's like a treasure hunt for them....i know a few others that will be out bright & early Friday....i must admit, some of them DO get some pretty good deals.....it's just not my 'thang' though.....

LOL, I buy cards at Walgreen's or Kroger's too!
And I have had a Hallmark rewards card ( whatever they are called now) since they started their rewards program.

I prefer to order gifts online or via phone from a catalog anyway. I've loved catalog shopping since I was a tiny girl and used to pick out the Barbies and other dolls and toys I wanted from the Sears catalog!
I am older, but still love catalog shopping.The Internet just makes it easier. :)

I love black Friday. My best friend and I used to get up and be at the mall or certain specialty stores when they opened. Then people started spending the night in their cars in order to get the 'deals' first and it proved too painful to join them. lol My early morning shopping ended with that. I still shop black Friday specials but I go to less crowded strip malls or individual stores.

I don't like to shop on any day. I wouldn't be caught dead out on Black Friday. OTOH, my dh loves to go shopping anytime, especially Black Friday and the day after CHristmas. So I just give him my list.

Check out www.bfads.net

It has adscans of all the advertisements. Click adscans in the top right, and when the list of stores display, right click the zip or pdf file and choose "save as" and then open. Otherwise, your computer might freeze up if you just try to open it first.

Best Buy has some incredible deals on laptops!!!!!

I'm almost done shopping and I've done it all online. No way would I go to the mall on Friday, it'll be crazy. And I tend to steer clear of Walmart this time of year. I do love Target though, but Ill just go during the work week when no one is there.

There's no way I'll be out shopping on Friday. All the toys are just crap from China anyway, and I only shop for the kids.

Many years ago I was in retail management ,and you could not pay me good money to go into any store on Black Friday! From here til January, shopping period is gonna be painful......

Retailers get ready for Black Friday

Battle-hardened shoppers will be part of the hustle and bustle at many retailers this Friday, the day after Thanksgiving that typically kicks off the holiday-shopping season. It's known as Black Friday because that's when many retailers turn black for the year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...x?guid={D11AE6A3-919B-45F2-A088-5E25A0676D21}

how many of you folks will head out bright & early Friday morning?

What does this mean - 'many retailers turn black for the year"? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I am in the UK and we don't have Black Friday. I know it means people go shopping and queue for hours for bargains but I don't understand when you say they turn black for the year.

I hate shopping and avoid it at the best of times, I will pay more for an item rather than queue or shop where it is very busy.

What does this mean - 'many retailers turn black for the year"? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I am in the UK and we don't have Black Friday. I know it means people go shopping and queue for hours for bargains but I don't understand when you say they turn black for the year.

I hate shopping and avoid it at the best of times, I will pay more for an item rather than queue or shop where it is very busy.

It refers to the terms "red ink" and "black ink" in an accounting book - red ink indicating a deficit or a loss, and black ink indicating money coming in or operating at a profit.

Unfortunately for a lot of retailers, the day after Thanksgiving sales are the first time in the calendar year that they are profitable for the year. But between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it is pure gravy. So a bad Christmas season is really bad news.

That is my completely unprofessional lesson in economics.:blushing:

It refers to the terms "red ink" and "black ink" in an accounting book - red ink indicating a deficit or a loss, and black ink indicating money coming in or operating at a profit.

Unfortunately for a lot of retailers, the day after Thanksgiving sales are the first time in the calendar year that they are profitable for the year. But between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it is pure gravy. So a bad Christmas season is really bad news.

That is my completely unprofessional lesson in economics.:blushing:
Thank you for the explanation! Since I am not much of a shopper at the stores (like many of you), I wasn't even familiar with the term, "Black Friday." Unfortunately, I need to go to the stores for things around the house, not gifts! Of course, I haven't even started to think about Christmas. We aren't even having a traditional Thanksgiving this year! :eek:

I am just so overwhelmed with this move. Of course, being on this website day in and day out doesn't help my cause. ;)

P.S. Hope every single one of you has a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!! :blowkiss:

ETA: I can remember only once did I go out on the day after Thanksgiving. I waited for hours in a ridiculous, frenzied crowd to purchase a blue sapphire and diamond bracelet for my stepdaughter. (Sad thing is she probably doesn't even have it now.) The bracelet went on sale later. So, I learned a big lesson... I'm now like many posters here. It's just not worth the headache to save a few bucks.

I have never had any desire to go shopping on black Friday however I am going to try it out tomorrow. I am afraid lol

I am going tomorrow also for the first time. I always stay away from the whole black friday thing but I just can't pass up a $300 laptop! I just hope I get one... I am up against battle hardened black friday shoppers hahaha! Wish me luck..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back