FDA: Flu drugs affecting kids' behavior

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Government health regulators recommended adding label precautions about neurological problems seen in children who have taken flu drugs made by Roche and GlaxoSmithKline.

The Food and Drug Administration on Friday released its safety review of Roche's Tamiflu and Glaxo's Relenza. Next week, an outside group of pediatric experts is scheduled to review the safety of several such drugs when used in children.

FDA began reviewing Tamiflu's safety in 2005 after receiving reports of children experiencing neurological problems, including hallucinations and convulsions.

Twenty-five patients under age 21 have died while taking the drug, most of them in Japan. Five deaths resulted from children "falling from windows or balconies or running into traffic."

There have been no child deaths connected with Relenza, but regulators said children taking the drug have shown similar neurological problems.

More at link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071124/ap_on_he_me/fda_tamiflu_safety

ap_logo_106.png

YIKES!!!

When I read this headline, I was afraid to read it. I was sure it was going to be about FluMist, which all of my kids received.

Didn't we read a bit about this last year too?

No problem. Next week an outside group are going to get together to review it's safety. WHAT? Neurological disturbances? Frightening stuff.

Is this just something that happens when the child is taking the drug or is it a long term effect of having had taken the drug in the past? All four of my kids took Tamiflu back in either Jan or Feb.

I now see where it says they died while taking the drug. So maybe my kids are ok. Geez all these drug problems. I never know what's safe to give my kids anymore.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back