Love_Mama

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Today, Saturday, Nov. 24. 2007

California Wildfire Forces Evacuation of 100 Homes in Malibu
By Nancy Kercheval

Nov. 24 (Bloomberg) -- A California wildfire, fanned by Santa Ana winds with gusts of 50 miles (80 kilometers) per hour, forced the evacuation of more than 100 homes near Malibu, said Los Angeles County fire officials.

Malibu was among areas between Los Angeles and San Diego hit by wildfires that burned last month for two weeks in Southern California. As many as 1 million people were forced to flee their homes.

``This fire is moving quickly in a south, southwest direction,'' said Captain Mike Brown in a broadcast interview. ``There's still a lot of unburned vegetation.''

More than 350 firefighters were on the scene of the blaze which started at 3:27 a.m. local time and had burned more than 300 acres (121 hectares) within three hours, Brown said.

The cause of the fire wasn't known, Brown said.

xxxxxxxxxxxxooooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Gosh,I just saw this on tv,and I thought the same thing."oh no,not again."

Hang in there all posters in that area,hopefully they will be able to keep it some what contained.

Malibu Fire: Wildfire Burns 1500 Hundred Acres, One Injury
By Lynda Johnson
Nov 24, 2007 (TODAY)!

A wildfire that started in the early morning hours has spread and is now burning through separate canyons in the region and residents have been evacuated. There are at least twelve homes that have been destroyed according to local radio reports. One injury has been reported. Heavy winds are driving the fire. The fire started at just after 3.am. local time.

There are no confirmed reports of the fire's origin, but speculation is that the fire may have been started by campers or possible even a party in the hills. Reporters on the scene claim that a procession of carload of teens and kids were heard honking as they left the areas where the fire started.

Right now eighteen helicopters are battling the blaze. Hundreds of firefighters were placed on watch this weekend as Santa Ana wind returned to Southern California. Gusts up to 60 mph were reported in some mountain passes overnight.

xxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

The Santa Ana winds have kicked up and the red flag warnng went into effect yesterday. It is warm and dry here.

Oh, no....poor California. My prayers are with all of you guys. I can't believe this is happening again. :blowkiss:

been watching it on Fox, and its not an easy thing to watch--dozens of expensive hillside homes being totally destroyed and burned to the ground, the misery is just never-ending over there

I just got back off my hiking trail which is usually closed when there is a fire. It is currently open and I was able to hike all the way to the top. It is still looking clear down here in South Orange County and North San Diego County.

How many of these destructive fires can CA take?
Prayers to those fighting the fires and to those who are otherwise affected by them.

Damaging wildfires revisit posh Malibu

MALIBU, Calif. - A fast-moving wildfire pushed by Santa Ana winds raced through the canyons and over the mountains of this wealthy enclave for the second time in little more than a month Saturday, destroying dozens of homes and forcing as many as 14,000 residents to flee.

The fire erupted in the wee hours after the long-predicted Santa Anas finally returned, and it quickly grew before the winds died down. Forty-nine homes were destroyed and another 27 damaged, said Los Angeles County Fire Chief P. Michael Freeman. Investigators had determined that the fire, which broke out along a dirt road off a paved highway, was caused by humans, but were still deciding whether it was started intentionally, said county fire Inspector Rick Dominguez.

By night the fire was estimated at 4,650 acres, or about 7 square miles, with 25 percent containment. "Waking up at 4 in the morning with the smell of smoke in your nose and the wind beating at the windows is something that we learn to live with here, but it always comes as something of a shock," said Mayor Jeff Jennings.

All the homes that were destroyed were in the fire's initial morning surge before the winds slowed and firefighters gained a foothold. By Saturday evening, about half of the evacuees were allowed to return to their homes, authorities said. The fire had subsided considerably and was expected to be more than half contained Sunday, Freeman said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071125/ap_on_re_us/california_wildfires

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back