Jail refuses to let mother pump breast milk for newborn

What is the big deal about allowing her time to pump milk privatley? They are punishing the baby for something the mother did.

What is the big deal about allowing her time to pump milk privatley? They are punishing the baby for something the mother did.

She's only been accused. If her story is right - she isn't even guilty.

Babies should have a right to breast milk. The baby already can't have mommy hold it - that's bad enough.

She's only been accused. If her story is right - she isn't even guilty.

Babies should have a right to breast milk. The baby already can't have mommy hold it - that's bad enough.
I was thinking about that after I posted. i am not really clear on why she is in jail. Is it for shoplifting or immigration violation? if she was aware or not what the brother did the baby still shouldn't be in danger b/c of it.

Bottom line... children do suffer for their parents choices. Some babies do cry night and day and spit up weather formula fed or breast.
And please lets note that that if he was not "screaming night and day" and content it would have never made the news.

Well the whole point of jail is to take away the persons rights, I am not saying that this is right in this case because the baby cant help it.

The article clearly states that a court order can be presented to allow nursing. (I hope the court order involves drug testing of mothers and babies first.) Maybe the interested parties can get her an attorney to petition for a court order.

It seems to me that first of all, though, a person with knowledge about nursing and babies should think of providing this baby with a competent surrogate nursing mother in the pastor's congregation. It is a stop gap measure, but would probably stop most of the crying and screaming and so forth. In my experience, two month old babies cry a lot anyway, so I am not sure what part of this article is a sympathy ploy and what part is legitimate. No weights and measurements of the baby before and after mom's arrest are provided. Baby also needs a Pediatrician's exam, since mom is an illegal here, if the pastor is going to be concerned about the total welfare of the child.

The policy against babies nursing in jail was probably put in place to prevent newly arrested mothers who use drugs or have full blown addictions from passing drugs to their babies in breast milk. They would be sued six ways from Sunday if a nursing mother who also had a drug habit was taken into custody and allowed to nurse every 4-6 hours and the baby suffered any harm. Babies get addicted both before birth to alcohol and a few hard drugs but can easily become addicted or harmed by the side effects after birth to many street and prescription drugs which pass into breast milk. IDK how long this young woman has been around her brother, who seems that he may be a bad influence on her in many ways.

Okay this first part is tongue in cheeck: may the person who's not allowing this have their own breasts explode in their face. Do they even know how much that crap hurts? And a darn child molester with the hiccups gets admitted into the hospital ward and they're doing everything they can to make sure he's not feeling miserable. Erm, maybe they need to do something here? Give her a darn breast pump? Morons. :doh:

Okay this first part is tongue in cheeck: may the person who's not allowing this have their own breasts explode in their face. Do they even know how much that crap hurts? And a darn child molester with the hiccups gets admitted into the hospital ward and they're doing everything they can to make sure he's not feeling miserable. Erm, maybe they need to do something here? Give her a darn breast pump? Morons. :doh:
In the article it did say they give treatment (whatever that may be) to mothers who come to jail during breast feeding. i wouldn't know how painful the engorged breasts are b/c i for some reason did not produce milk after having my twins. I am still baffled by that one.
I am sure in the meantime something can be done for the baby, some mothers go through every brand of formula before finding the right one, we went through 2 kinds ourselves. i have been told when all else fails to try Nutramegen by enfamil.

Bottom line... children do suffer for their parents choices. Some babies do cry night and day and spit up weather formula fed or breast.
And please lets note that that if he was not "screaming night and day" and content it would have never made the news.

And I've got to add... if the formula that they are using for that baby is not working, there are other choices. My son screamed and cried all day and night until we found out he was allergic to milk and soy formulas. We ended up having to use "Nutramagen" for him which is a beef based forumla.

There are other options. It doesn't sound like they are looking for any alternatives for this baby. This mother is here illegally, and whether or not she is guilty of a crime has to be determined, but she is in jail. Jail inmates lose rights...

And I've got to add... if the formula that they are using for that baby is not working, there are other choices. My son screamed and cried all day and night until we found out he was allergic to milk and soy formulas. We ended up having to use "Nutramagen" for him which is a beef based forumla.

There are other options. It doesn't sound like they are looking for any alternatives for this baby. This mother is here illegally, and whether or not she is guilty of a crime has to be determined, but she is in jail. Jail inmates lose rights...
That seems to be the "when all else fails" brand. probably b/c of the price, EEK! I pity you for having to buy that. i thought the fourmula we used was high priced until i saw that one! We after trying 2 found that Prosobee Lipil worked.

That seems to be the "when all else fails" brand. probably b/c of the price, EEK! I pity you for having to buy that. i thought the fourmula we used was high priced until i saw that one! We after 2 tried found that Prosobee Lipil worked.

The worst things about Nutramagen are the smell of the forumla going in and the smell of the poop coming out. Truly unlike anything else in the world!! PHEW.
It is a lifesaver for many babies though, and that's what matters. :)

I still say a nursing mother at that church could be a surrogate mom for this baby until the mother is released.

That seems to be the "when all else fails" brand. probably b/c of the price, EEK! I pity you for having to buy that. i thought the fourmula we used was high priced until i saw that one! We after trying 2 found that Prosobee Lipil worked.

You're right! Compared to other kinds of formula it was expensive. But, it worked with my son... he stopped the screaming and was able to feed and sleep! I don't remember a brand called Prosobee Lipil... but at least you found something that worked!

You're right! Compared to other kinds of formula it was expensive. But, it worked with my son... he stopped the screaming and was able to feed and sleep! I don't remember a brand called Prosobee Lipil... but at least you found something that worked!
It was soy based made by enfamil but was somehow different than the regular soy enfamil. I think looking back the difference was the DHA/ARA b/c not all soy formulas had thet when mine were first born, now I am sure they do. It also boasted that it didn't contail sugar but I assumed all formulas didn't contain sugar.

when my first child was still born the doctor offered me a medication to stop milk production. so i know medication is available. not only would the jail have to insure the milk is free of drugs and the mother does not have a illness that can be passed on in the milk they would need to store and label all the milk from every nursing mother. once the jail agrees to take on this responsibility they open themselves up for all kinds of trouble. any error due to mixed up labels or a mom who get drugs while in jail or if the freezer malfunctions they get sued. do they allow a mom in jail to pump milk for her newborn if she is their for killing her toddler? if the jail allows 1 mother then they must allow all. this woman made choices and her child will suffer for it. if she was here legally she would be offered bail and could get out to nurse her child. she broke the law and any time a mother breaks the law her kids pay also.

Blame it on the mother, not the jail.

I agree. And she was here illegally. If she's so worried about giving her baby breastmilk, she shouldn't have broken the law.

It's too bad that some children have to suffer because of their parent's choices but that's life. No one said it was gonna be easy or that you have a free pass to never suffer.

There is an organization here in California that provides breast milk for children who can't drink formula or who have lost their mothers. There was a case last year of a child who needed this service after his mother died and the child couldn't drink formula. Here's another link:

www.breastfeedingsymbol.org/category/national-milk-bank

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong